GDT: Game 39: Columbus vs. Philadelphia | 1/8 6PM

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Just got home from the game. Gutty performance by the CBJ, didn't give up when they could have given up after last night. I guess you are only as fragile as your next game:laugh:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If we can get to the All Star Break still in the 1st place in the NHL, I'd be tickled pink! (We've come a long way!)

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
If we can get to the All Star Break still in the 1st place in the NHL, I'd be tickled pink! (We've come a long way!)

I am tickled pink right now, first team to 60 points. Won the second of a tough back to back (could have, should have won last night with quality play in the nets). We have come a long way:handclap:

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I am tickled pink right now, first team to 60 points. Won the second of a tough back to back (could have, should have won last night with quality play in the nets). We have come a long way:handclap:

Two more games and the season is half over. CBJ very likely to be leading the league at the midway point (unless we lose both games and Pens win their two) but couldn't be happier with the 1st half of the season.:D

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
gritty win...sucks Bob lost shutout with 16 seconds left...but good to regroup and get the other point...

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Jenner played considerably better than he did earlier in the season against the Kings and Ducks. He looked faster and far more confident with the puck.

There were some sloppiness like no look drop passes that lead to turnovers that work when everything is clicking and lead to turnover when its not. They're a young team and they need to find a balance between the two. They can't avoid higher risk plays and need their confidence back.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Well...you probably remember my User Name as "Bobcat110". I switched it awhile back and just never bothered switching it again when Johansen was traded. Probably should.

I was on some of the original CBJ boards (can't even remember what the sites were) in early 2000's, but ended up here on HFboards when I won tickets to 2004 Allstar game in Minnesota and sat next to a Bruins fan who suggested I check out this board.

Yep, I do remember Bobcat..... I could have switched my user name around 20 times over the years but decided to stick it out thick and thin.... :) I recommend that long time folks stay the course, it builds character... :nod:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
So much complaining over here. I just checked the standings and the Jackets are in the 1st place in the entire NHL, 3 points ahead of the 2nd place S*ittsburgh! Just enjoy the moment.

Good post.... and true.... After 17 years of many let down moments we day one fans have earned the right to be skeptical...

We could lead the league by 100 points and I still would be afraid of missing the playoffs.... :laugh:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
The team does seem to be mentally fragile at times, but we can also overcome it. Bad to give a point away late like that, great to come back in ot and get the win.

Last edited by a moderator:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I've been hard on him this season (and frankly his whole CBJ career) but Ryan Murray was very good tonight.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Jenner played considerably better than he did earlier in the season against the Kings and Ducks. He looked faster and far more confident with the puck.

There were some sloppiness like no look drop passes that lead to turnovers that work when everything is clicking and lead to turnover when its not. They're a young team and they need to find a balance between the two. They can't avoid higher risk plays and need their confidence back.

If that's Jenner "good" we really need to look at a different option on the second line.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Impressed with Murray and Dubinsky last night.

Here's my take-away from Dubi's game: He knew. He knew what the team wouldn't say but that we were afraid of. He didn't want adversity (streak ends) plus a bad result (NYR 3rd period) to turn into a thing.

This is not me moaning or SOJ-ing or suggesting that Dubi thinks his teammates are mental lightweights. Just that he recognized where last night's game fit in the grand scheme of this season, given what's happened up to this point. And he was determined to have it go the right way.

The coach pointed out Dubi's play in his post-game, talked about his energy. I would have used the word determination, but whatever. I believe he answered his own call, that he hasn't been playing as well as he'd like, and his team might need a little extra something given the back-to-back and the two-game losing streak.

I don't think he was breathtaking or excellent or whatever, but he stood out versus his season overall.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Happy with a win.

I think we can sometimes forget how hard it is to win games and how valuable 2 points are no matter where you are in the standings.

The team was tired, the NYR game was rough for sure and its good to bounce and get 2 points regardless of how its done. I don't mind Philly getting a point last night, but I do mind the Rangers getting 2 of ours Saturday night.

I'd prefer no line swaps. Jenner plays an important role on that line.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
If I recall correctly, the last EN goal the Jackets scored was against the Wings last month from Gagne when he tossed the puck the length of the ice, and it went on its side and rolled in. So even the last time they scored one, they had been pinned in their own end. I would love to see some hunger for that freebie.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Murray's been a beast the last 3-4 games, I really think he gets a bad rap here since he's not playing top-pairing minutes. And so has Nutivaara, he's really taken tremendous steps over the last month or so. We might have the best third defensive pairing in the league haha

Now Dubinsky and Jenner on the other hand..... :shakehead

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
There was bound to be a downdraft after the streak. They won last night. This year it is the fanbase that is fragile; admittedly I thought last night was a MUST win after the emotional loss to NYR. Now that I see the waiver of C-Mac, it further highlights that the NYR game was more about goal-tending, and how the team reacted to poor goaltending, than about how the team played. First 40 minutes - CBJ was great. Bad penalty by 71, and bad goal by C-Mac, and the ghosts appeared. Or so we thought.

No bad feelings toward C-Mac, just glad FO saw that something different was needed there. We find out if Forsberg can handle it now; if not, then that backup G spot sees a move at the deadline. If you don't make the move now, they will ride Bob to either injury or exhaustion. This way there is either a fix (Forsberg) or the identification of need.

I'm ok with Dubi and Jenner where they are for several interelated reasons.

1. They are sloooowwwwlllllly turning the corner. Dubi moreso than Jenner. Jenner still squeezing the stick.

2. CBJ is in the #1 spot in the entire NHL - not that everyone can't be better, but they have 60 points in 39 games in part due to Jenner's and Dubi's play - and yes, in part in spite of that play.

3. Repeat #2, but with a different angle. They are in the #1 spot because the other three lines have been above expectation, and because the PP has been hotter than hot. Moving either 17 or 38, if they are as off as some suggest, affects chemistry/performance of another line.
I would not break up Gagner-Sedlak-Hartnell, and frankly the Anderson-Wild Bill-Calvert line, while in need of a few more scores, is playing lights out as well.

4. Noted in other posts - I don't see a 2nd line. I see 4 lines, identified by the players on that line, not a 1,2,3 & 4 (Saad-Wennberg-Foligno line is #1, but TOI difference for the lines is not that great at ES, just PP/PK differential. Moving players up or down, because of perceived line #, makes less sense than in the past.

Sure it would be fun to see Cam with more offensively talented linemates - but he gets that time on the PP. Cam has been incredibly effective at back-checking this year ES - many more times than the past I hear myself saying "NICE" as Cam sweeps back, back pass to puck moving D (OMG I typed that) and off they go. And I believe someone posted that Cam has 10 ES goals with those 2; not outstanding but SOLID. And then who ends up with 17 and 38? I don't see Gagner as effective with them as he's been, nor Anderson (although he's been off the scoresheet for a bit), nor Hartnell. I just see the lines fitting as is, and 2 losses followed by an OT win are not enough for line blender to resurrect itself.

Last edited:

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I had to miss the game Saturday (cousin's wedding. Girlfriend was sort of pressuring me into going). Was at the game Sunday.

1. I feel we could really use a center that could win us faceoffs when needed.

2. Not sure how we are incapable of getting an Empty Net goal. We did so well towards the end of the game in not allowing Philly to get Mason off the ice just to see a late second goal allowed.

3. I'm betting these guys are getting tired. 3 games in 4 nights after a game Saturday. To the fan above me wondering "Why aren't they as sharp as the first two periods yesterday"- It's hockey, they won't always be sharp all 3 periods of a game. 3rd game in 4 nights against Metro opponents.

4. We still came away with 2 points in this game. I thought this was a 2 points that we needed after losing the last two games. Could tell the players were excited

5. Day of rest today, and try to get 2 points in Carolina tomorrow

major major

Feb 18, 2013
They've got to be emotionally exhausted. I know I am as a fan.

For all the talk of playing like pros, they are a young team that plays with emotion. When Torts says "play greedy", they do. This doesn't happen to older teams. You don't see old teams going on insane winning and losing streaks. I seem to recall Detroit from a few years back never had a streak of more than a few games.

I want them to learn to "play the right way" without needing tons of emotion behind it. But that will take years.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Okay, yeah, I'll admit, my own faith faltered for a bit after back-to-back goals against with 16.5 seconds to go.

I should know better w/r/t this year's team. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad