GDT: Game 38: Quebec Nordiques @ Winnipeg Jets | 4-6-13 | 6PM MST | FS Arizona Plus

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Rundblad productions presents...

Winnipeg Jets
1297202858706_ORIGINAL.jpg

vs. Quebec Nordiques

quebec_nordiques_logo.png

Phoenix Lines

Vrbata - Hanzal - Doan
Conner - Vermette - Boedker
Klinkhammer - Gordon - Moss
Bissonnette - Brown - Chipchura

Ekman-Larsson - Stone
Yandle - Schlemko
Klesla - Morris

Smith

Colorado Lines

Landeskog - O'Reilly - McLeod
McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau
van der Gulik - Olver - Palushaj
Mitchell - Malone - Bordeleau

Hunwick - Johnson
Hejda - O'Brien
Zanon - Barrie

Verlamov

TV: Fox Sports Arizona Plus
Radio: Money Radio 1510 AM

The Jets ran into financial trouble when player salaries began spiraling up in the 1990s; this hit the Canadian teams particularly hard. Winnipeg was the second-smallest market in the NHL for most of the Jets' existence, and after the Quebec Nordiques moved to Denver in 1995 to become the Colorado Avalanche, it became the smallest market. In addition, the club's home arena, Winnipeg Arena, was one of the smallest in the league. Despite strong fan support, several attempts to keep the team in Winnipeg ultimately fell through. In December 1995, Jerry Colangelo, owner of the NBA's Phoenix Suns, along with Phoenix businessmen Steven Gluckstern and Richard Burke and a local investor group, bought the team with plans to move it to Phoenix for the 1996–97 season. A name-the-team contest yielded the nickname "Coyotes."

While the Nordiques experienced on-ice success, it struggled financially. Quebec City was by far the smallest market in the league, and the second-smallest to host a team in the four major sports. The changing financial environment in the NHL made things even more difficult, and in 1995 team owner Marcel Aubut asked for a bailout from Quebec's provincial government as well as a new publicly funded arena. The bailout fell through and Aubut subsequently sold the team to COMSAT Entertainment Group of Denver, which already owned the NBA's Denver Nuggets. In May 1995, the COMSAT Entertainment Group announced an agreement in principle to purchase the team. The deal became official on July 1, 1995, and 12,000 season tickets were sold in the 37 days after the announcement of the move to Denver. The franchise was presented as the Colorado Avalanche on August 10, 1995.

Take that, relocationists.

22coyotes3-articleLarge.jpg

Photo10151643*304.jpg

image002-21.jpg

Don't tell us we're not a hockey town.

This thread is...
220px-Heather_Morris_PaleyFest_11a_crop.jpg

Heather Morris approved!

member 151739

This GDT may be Heather Morris approved, but TK not getting a shout out?

Disapproved.
image.php

BigGumby

Apr 20, 2012
Moon Valley
My prediction for tonight resembles this NHL '94 match:

Jets win 1-0

Goal by Selanne, assisted by Darryl Shannon and Alexi Zhamnov

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Nah, just as an emergency player incase everyone is still keeping their lunches in buckets.

Runblad and Bolduc both up on an emergency basis. Guess the flu bug lives on and that last game illnesses weren't due to hangover bug from Sully, Lombo and Raffi's going away party.

ArizonaCoyotes19

May 28, 2008
Winnipeg
hockeylists.com
So what is everybody's opinion on Smith getting the start? I for one would like to see Johnson get another start. With all 3 goalies being UFA's come seasons end, we know what we are getting with Smith and Barbs. Johnson has been solid in his 3 games, would like too see him get a chance to prove that he can sustain his play over a bigger sample size. I love how solid he is positionally, he may not steal games but he won't lose you games. With smith he has the potential to steal games but this year he has lost some too. I guess the coyotes are hoping smith will steal some games down the stretch.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If the team plays like ass and Smith gets shelled against the lowly Avs, I think it's clear they (the team) are trying to send a message to management. His antics make have run their course. Or he just sucks this year.

If he ends the year at .900 SV%, and asks for $5+ million, I don't even return his call.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
So what is everybody's opinion on Smith getting the start? I for one would like to see Johnson get another start. With all 3 goalies being UFA's come seasons end, we know what we are getting with Smith and Barbs. Johnson has been solid in his 3 games, would like too see him get a chance to prove that he can sustain his play over a bigger sample size. I love how solid he is positionally, he may not steal games but he won't lose you games. With smith he has the potential to steal games but this year he has lost some too. I guess the coyotes are hoping smith will steal some games down the stretch.

In my opinion, Johnson has earned a 1-year contract already, but it would be nice to give him some more minutes and see how valuable the contract should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad