Post-Game Talk: Game 37 Bruins end 2017 with a bang and Sens are done.. B's 5 Ottawa 0 F

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
No thank you on Simmonds. I'm not saying Simmonds isn't an intriguing player. But, Don't mess with the team chemistry. Not while the team as a whole has battled together to get to this point and is playing well.

I understand what you're saying about chemistry (the ole if it ain't broke d'ont fix it)however imo we need to be realistic and apply some vision into the near future i.e. our offence needs an uplift. We need more depth ,cant expect the schallers nash etc to keep scoring and too much offence will rest on our first line.Having said that id surely welcome a Simmonds even a Giroux,(put giroux at rw)

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Didn’t see this one, but man the Sens seem a right mess now. Can’t say I didn’t expect it with Boucher’s track record and reputation but it’s almost sad. Their recent trade history is pretty sad. Phaneuf, Ryan and Duchene. Ouch.

Reactions: Fopppa

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I understand what you're saying about chemistry (the ole if it ain't broke d'ont fix it)however imo we need to be realistic and apply some vision into the near future i.e. our offence needs an uplift. We need more depth ,cant expect the schallers nash etc to keep scoring and too much offence will rest on our first line.Having said that id surely welcome a Simmonds even a Giroux,(put giroux at rw)

But to get those guys in a trade, you'd likely end up losing a DeBrusk, Bjork, Carlo, Heinen, Gryzz, etc. It won't be the Schallers and Nashes going the other way. Now, maybe that's a good move, or maybe it's not.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
But to get those guys in a trade, you'd likely end up losing a DeBrusk, Bjork, Carlo, Heinen, Gryzz, etc. It won't be the Schallers and Nashes going the other way. Now, maybe that's a good move, or maybe it's not.

True ... but I think if Sweeney were thinking along the lines of someone such as Simmonds; then they would have just bit the bullet and would have resigned Lucci.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I may be in the minority and advocating more patience then most, but I'm so much more in the just hold pat and see how things play out mode.
Don't get me wrong I would love to win it all this year, but I'm not mortgaging the future and cap to do it. I think if patient enough to find out who fits the team 2 & 3 years form now this team could be set for many runs at a cup the next 5 - 12 years. May be that is wishful thinking but the right moves and continued good drafting there is no reason they couldn't be.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I may be in the minority and advocating more patience then most, but I'm so much more in the just hold pat and see how things play out mode.
Don't get me wrong I would love to win it all this year, but I'm not mortgaging the future and cap to do it. I think if patient enough to find out who fits the team 2 & 3 years form now this team could be set for many runs at a cup the next 5 - 12 years. May be that is wishful thinking but the right moves and continued good drafting there is no reason they couldn't be.

Agreed, why look for something now while everything is working.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

bergeron isnt getting any younger.
i think we have a good shot this year. no team is unbeatable.
i would def make a trade to improve this year

Reactions: Marcobruin

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins’ Torey Krug impressive in bouncing back from benching - The Boston Globe

A few thoughts, observations, and shots high off the glass following the Bruins’ 5-0 shellacking of the Senators Saturday night in Ottawa, closing out the year with a 15-3-2 stretch that has all but assured them one of the eight playoffs seeds in the Eastern Conference.
■ Solid bounce back by Torey Krug, who chipped in with two assists and controlled his gaps, all after being kept on the bench for the overtime Thursday night in Washington.
Postgame, coach Bruce Cassidy said on NESN, “I love the guy.”

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

I'm ok with losing some of those or even all for the right return. You pretty much know what to expect from an established start but young players such as the aforementioned, you just don't know.they look good now but will
They look good tomorrow? (Next season and on).No one can assure it since none of them are bona fide can't miss players

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I'm ok with losing some of those or even all for the right return. You pretty much know what to expect from an established start but young players such as the aforementioned, you just don't know.they look good now but will
They look good tomorrow? (Next season and on).No one can assure it since none of them are bona fide can't miss players

But the guessing game cuts both ways. Established impact players were once young players who "looked good now." We've also seen established players go to new teams, and not be the same impact player they were, or not have the expected chemistry with new teammates/coaches.

Not all of these young players will crap out. And let's be realistic, the ones that look most promising - like DeBrusk - are the ones other teams will want. Their scouts watch the games too. Nothing is guaranteed, but I think most hockey watchers see that DeBrusk is likely a top 6 player. He has all the tools and characteristics of a future impact player. No way I'd trade away a player like that, who's young and still cost-controlled, for another cap-eating vet. That's not how to build a contending team in today's NHL.

I think the Bruins are likely the envy of many other NHL GMs. A solid core of vets, a high-impact 1st line, solid secondary production, a great group of young forwards coming up, great goaltending, and on D a versatile squad with some solid young players and a future franchise star....

I get the "win now" POV, but I'd prefer they be patient. Yes, Bergy and all are getting older, but I believe Bergy, Marchy and Krejci will still be performing well for the next 2-3 years, Pasta will get even better in that time, and DeBrusk, Heinen, (maybe Bjork), Carlo, McAvoy, (maybe Gryzz) etc. will be coming into their own, more than offsetting the impact of any one vet that could be added.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I've got a question because I simply don't know, but why do the players playing the 1-3-1 hate it so much? It is just because it's boring? Requires such discipline?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I've got a question because I simply don't know, but why do the players playing the 1-3-1 hate it so much? It is just because it's boring? Requires such discipline?

It`s a game of speed, the 1-3-1 is about the worst system to promote that speed IMO. There`s a reason so few coaches use it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad