GDT: Game 35 | Pekka Rinne Jersey Retirement | 35.35.35 | 35:35pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Whatever one thinks of Benning in general - and I'm not amongst his more vocal critics - I think it's rather unfortunate that in a key game moment we're left to rely on him for 1:50 in our defensive zone 4-on-3 PK. If he's the best we have to put out in that situation... we're missing something. :(

Carrier out all of the 3rd and OT, so yeah, missing something. Josi came into tonight with under 31 minutes of PK time so his 1:08 is uncharacteristic.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
20220224_222128.jpg

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I am not what happened but they showed tributes from Shea, Ellis, Arvi, Forsberg, Trotz and Lavy after everyone had left? Those should have been shown during the game. Shea is still a fan favorite judging from the applause he received when he was introduced.

I am still shocked that Dallas couldn’t covert on the pp in OT.

Reactions: AnalogKid

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Whatever one thinks of Benning in general - and I'm not amongst his more vocal critics - I think it's rather unfortunate that in a key game moment we're left to rely on him for 1:50 in our defensive zone 4-on-3 PK. If he's the best we have to put out in that situation... we're missing something. :(
There is a rumor out there that we may be trading him for Justin Braun.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There is a rumor out there that we may be trading him for Justin Braun.
I can see us picking up Justin Braun. Although it sort of would surprise me if that was in a trade for Benning?

The main problem as I see it is that we're stuck thinking of Benning as our Top Choice for a key situation like last night and for playing 18+ mins or whatever he has some nights. I don't feel like that's his niche. It's too bad Hynes hasn't had the confidence to try Fabbro and Myers more often in those situations earlier in the season. Because I feel like we may well have those solutions in house already. But anyway, if Hynes is going to turn first to Benning, then it doesn't really matter now... we are Missing Something: a Better Defenseman Than Benning To Put Out In That Situation Who Hynes Will Actually Use.

Is Braun that guy? I haven't watched him enough to have an opinion. If he was cheap enough (5th round pick or less) I'd say he's worth a try anyhow. If he costs more... well.. you'd have to really have a sense of how he is playing now that he's getting up there (35 now!) My other caution is that they seem to think Philly's defensive system wrecked Myers. If it's that much of a mess, how long might it take to get Braun sorted out again? Or is he immune just because he's a veteran?
:dunno:

Reactions: Kat Predator

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I am not what happened but they showed tributes from Shea, Ellis, Arvi, Forsberg, Trotz and Lavy after everyone had left? Those should have been shown during the game. Shea is still a fan favorite judging from the applause he received when he was introduced.

I am still shocked that Dallas couldn’t covert on the pp in OT.

Is that for real??? If that really happened then what a fail- I thought it was weird they didn't have more of those during the game (and I even thought they should have had them during the ceremony itself- people would much rather see that than listen to speeches from executives). Was suprised PK didn't have one....

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I can see us picking up Justin Braun. Although it sort of would surprise me if that was in a trade for Benning?

The main problem as I see it is that we're stuck thinking of Benning as our Top Choice for a key situation like last night and for playing 18+ mins or whatever he has some nights. I don't feel like that's his niche. It's too bad Hynes hasn't had the confidence to try Fabbro and Myers more often in those situations earlier in the season. Because I feel like we may well have those solutions in house already. But anyway, if Hynes is going to turn first to Benning, then it doesn't really matter now... we are Missing Something: a Better Defenseman Than Benning To Put Out In That Situation Who Hynes Will Actually Use.

Is Braun that guy? I haven't watched him enough to have an opinion. If he was cheap enough (5th round pick or less) I'd say he's worth a try anyhow. If he costs more... well.. you'd have to really have a sense of how he is playing now that he's getting up there (35 now!) My other caution is that they seem to think Philly's defensive system wrecked Myers. If it's that much of a mess, how long might it take to get Braun sorted out again? Or is he immune just because he's a veteran?
:dunno:
Braun was a solid 3rd pairing guy in San Jose. I hear that he's doing well in Philly this year. But I have the same questions and wonder if the trade idea is more wishful thinking of some Flyers fans.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I was there and didn't see the after game tributes--that is really strange, why would they do that? Just kind of forget? I'd have liked to see Hartnell.

I was also in the bathroom when some of the former players came strolling by on the concourse around 5 minutes after the game. Weber, Sullivan and Mrs. Pekka and baby. Double Fail.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Great night. I definitely cried when the banner went up and Pekka was watching it with his fiance and son. :cry:

I saw Hamhuis, Weber, Sullivan, Timonen in the concourse after the game. I kind of fan-girled on the inside at seeing Shea. :rolly:

Very nice of Pavelski (and Suter) to come out and watch the ceremony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad