GDT: Game 34 - Winnipeg Jets @ Washington Capitals - Friday, December 23rd, 2022 - 6:00pm CST - TSN3 - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Tonight, the Winnipeg Jets take on the Washington Capitals at Capital One Arena. The Capitals are coming off of a 3-2 overtime win last night against the Ottawa Senators and are now 18-13-4 on the season and 8-2 in their last ten games. The Jets also played last night, a 3-2 loss against the Boston Bruins, and are 21-11-1 this season and 6-4 in their last ten games. Can the Jets get revenge for a loss to Ovie and the Caps earlier this month, or will the team have jetlag and come out flat tonight? Maybe Santa Claus will grant us an early Christmas present...

s-l300.jpg

And now on to the latest installment of...

758ujd.jpg

Earlier this month, @The Blue Baron posted his own fun facts about Washington, DC, so I thought I would add a few more to the mix...

GettyImages-497322993-598b2ad403f4020010ae0a08.jpg

Originally, in 1791, George Washington chose 100 square miles of land in Maryland and Virginia to be the site of the nation’s capital. However 31 of those miles were returned to Virginia in 1847, which is why D.C. today is about one-third smaller. The district was named Columbia—which had been a nickname for America during the Revolutionary War, in honor of Christopher Columbus—and the new federal city added to the territory was called Washington, for, yes, George. Georgetown and Alexandria were also cities included in the district...

images

Turns out the first president never resided in the White House. Washington died before it was finished, though he did lay its cornerstone on October 13, 1792. John Adams was the first president to live there. Until 1901, when President Theodore Roosevelt made it official after it appeared in a newspaper article, the White House was called the President’s Palace or the President’s House. Here's a fun fact, Jimmy Carter loved movies, and nobody will beat his record of watching 480 films in the White House movie theater...

White-House-Washington-DC.jpg

Cats and dogs haven’t been the only presidential pets to roam the White House grounds. Theodore Roosevelt allowed his six children to bring their pets to the White House in 1901. As well as many dogs they had a small bear, a lizard, guinea pigs, a pig, a badger, a blue macaw, a garter snake, a one-legged rooster, a hyena, a barn owl, a rabbit, a pony and Baron Spreckle the hen.

Calvin Coolidge also brought a zoo-worthy lot of animals. Not only did he have many dog breeds including terriers, a sheepdog, collies and chows, he also had cats, raccoons, a donkey, a bobcat, birds, a bear, an antelope, a wallaby, a pygmy hippo and some lion cubs.

Not all animals at the White House have been pets. During World War I Woodrow Wilson bought a flock of sheep to graze on the White House lawn. Not only did it save the manpower needed for mowing the lawn, they sold the wool to raise money for the Red Cross. That wasn't a baaaad idea...

whitehouse-sheep.jpg

Before 1961, residents of Washington, D.C. couldn’t vote in presidential elections because of the Electoral College. The number of electoral votes each state gets depends on how many senators and members of the House of Representatives it has. As D.C. isn’t a state, it has no voting representatives in Congress, so for years D.C. residents couldn’t take part in elections. It was the 23rd Amendment to the Constitution (passed in 1961) that gave D.C. the electoral votes that it would have if it were a state, limited to the number of electors the least-populated state has. Currently that state is Wyoming, with three electors. So D.C. gets a max of three electoral votes...

votingrightsdc.jpg

Unfortunately, there is a typo on the Lincoln Memorial, in the inscription of Lincoln’s second inaugural address etched into the wall. Instead of the word “FUTURE,” the engraver carved “EUTURE” by mistake. If you know where to look, you can see the E that had its bottom line filled in to make it an F...

lincolnhed-869c086e949fd5e81ebfad4e2ccef07d.jpg

There’s a bathtub in the basement of the U.S. Capitol! Four marble tubs were installed in 1859 when most senators lived in boarding houses on Capitol Hill that had no running water so they washed at work. One of these baths can still be seen today...

Zw.jpg

Let's “wash” the stink off after the last game against the Capitals and beat them “cleanly”... Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Thanks to: Fun Facts About Washington DC, 21 Facts You Never Knew About Washington, D.C., Washington, DC Fun Facts for Kids | Washington DC and 105 Fascinating & Fun Facts about Washington, D.C. - Fun World Facts

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'd really like to see Bones leverage his rested players in this game.

Bring in Essy and Capo and scratch Snerg and.... Harkins?
Harkins was one of the better players last night.
I'd scratch a couple of other guys before him.
Mikey E would probably have an excellent game so I'd for sure unleash him.

I thought Gustaffson sucked last night, perhaps a night eating popcorn would help motivate him to play better.

Reactions: snowkiddin

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Ovi looking to tie/surpass 2nd All-Time Scoring Record Tonight!

If he scores, Hellebuyck will be forever immortalized in Sports Highlights for the next 100 years.

1671815631733.jpeg

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Harkins was one of the better players last night.
I'd scratch a couple of other guys before him.
Mikey E would probably have an excellent game so I'd for sure unleash him.

I thought Gustaffson sucked last night, perhaps a night eating popcorn would help motivate him to play better.
Yeah, Gus was pretty awful but overall I think he's been really good. Who else would you scratch? Maybe Fjallby or Kuhlman?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets 3rd back-to-back in 16 days across 4 time zones with injuries to key players, a bug going through the room and Rittich in net? I am not holding my breath for 2 points tonight...

B33R LEAGUE

May 19, 2021
Like our chances tonight. The Caps also played last night and had to fly back from Ottawa after going to OT. Jets are going to go into the break on a winning note. Keeping Ovi off the scoreboard will be a little Christmas bonus.
I agree, I like our Chances. Sometimes players become hyper focused on setting up a teammate that is looking to accomplish a milestone. This may just be the distraction we need to get the Caps off their gameplan!

I bet $50 on the Jets at x3 Odds.

If I lose, I will never like a KingBogo comment ever again.

B33R LEAGUE

May 19, 2021
I wonder if the Refs will let the Ovi narrative interfere with the way they ref the the game. I’m a little nervous that there ego may lead them to hand out PPs to the Caps in hopes that they can one day tell their grand kids they reffed the game Ovi broke the 2nd All time Goal record.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ok , this is kind of an expected loss (in my mind only) so a win here would be really big. This team has had a very good run over the first 34 games up to the Christmas break. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised but the season doesn't hinge on tonight so.............

GJG

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Eyssimont in for Kuhlman... I have seen enough Kuhlman.
Neither of these guys drives much offense -
But Mikey wins a lot of board battles and gets pucks to the shooters - Kuhlman doesn't.
Let him out of the doghouse - he's fresh and probably wants another shot at impressing Bones.
I can't see it hurting in any way and there is some upside.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Neither of these guys drives much offense -
But Mikey wins a lot of board battles and gets pucks to the shooters - Kuhlman doesn't.
Let him out of the doghouse - he's fresh and probably wants another shot at impressing Bones.
I can't see it hurting in any way and there is some upside.
Nope don't agree, probably because i picked Kuhlman to score first.:laugh:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Xmas-Santa-Hat-Tis-The-Season-William-Shakespeare-Christmas-T-Shirt-Cotton-Tops-Tees-Summer-Retro.jpg_640x640.jpg

Laviolette be ass-ended at yon Jets fell behest
While Big Save shall carry thee away,
Kusnetsov hath shyte his pants (with interest),
At centre ice, this memorial to the Caps shall stay.
When Ovie and Oshie reviewest this, aye they dost review
And Johansson and Strome clamber up thy dung-ed scree:
Our lines move but on sweet earth, which is their due;
Jets’ spirit is thine, the better part of we:
So when in the third thou Caps have lost the dregs of life,
The prey of worms, their spirits being dead,
The lack of rebound to the goals of Scheif,
Too slow of skate for Lurch, their defence shred.
The worth of that is that which it contains,
And that is this, a Jet’s win with we remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad