GDT: Game 34: Columbus at Winnipeg | 12/29 8PM

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
quick ot question: I've only watched a handful of CBJ games the last season and this one and I know that the team has had to go through alot of injuries in the past, but what is it like having a team that has been trash for a decade then finally starts putting it all together?

Others have answered already, but I'd like to chime in. The short answer is surreal. The long answer is I've been so conditioned to expect them to lose. So used to them having the inferior lineup compared to whoever they're playing that to see our uniform and logo out there killing teams that used to destroy us is just weird. It doesn't feel real yet and I'm kind of waiting for something to go wrong.

But I look at the roster, I look at their style of play, their discipline, their chemistry, their enthusiasm and their depth, and everything makes sense. This is the team I've been waiting for since October of 2000, but I honestly never expected the arrival to be this good or this fun. After 15 years of no luck and bad luck I guess it's just our turn for some good fortune and the progression to that mean has been ridiculous.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
The way Zach was playing 5 on 5, I wouldn't have minded if he had his minutes cut even more in the third. Murray took a couple of his shifts but PP only would have been fine with me. Nothing wrong with that - my guess is it would have been done if we weren't on a crazy win streak.

Yeah. He missed the net like 6 or 7 times. Golden opportunities wasted. I don't know how you missed him. Maybe Rimer got his name wrong.

I dont mind when Zach's minutes are cut at the end, he needs to work on his d game, as for the Laine comment, of course I was joking, the point was he wasnt effective at all.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
One question for you CBJ Fans. Not future but this season.
Is Werenski the #1/2 on this team or the #3/4 dman on this team?

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

IMO he is the #2 behind Seth Jones. He's good, and he has done great things. He's still 19.

From watching 33 games+/- we see some mistakes, but he can play. He has done two very important things for this team. He can quarterback the power play-he is the only D man with 4 forwards on the ice. Plus, he can get his shot through from the point.

Second, he allows Johnson and Savard to play the 3-4 roles and grow into that shut down D-pair that very successful teams feature. One of those two has always had to play on the Top Pair. Now things work.

Hope that helps.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
IMO he is the #2 behind Seth Jones. He's good, and he has done great things. He's still 19.

From watching 33 games+/- we see some mistakes, but he can play. He has done two very important things for this team. He can quarterback the power play-he is the only D man with 4 forwards on the ice. Plus, he can get his shot through from the point.

Second, he allows Johnson and Savard to play the 3-4 roles and grow into that shut down D-pair that very successful teams feature. One of those two has always had to play on the Top Pair. Now things work.

Hope that helps.

Helps alot. I was being told from other fans that he's a #3/4 on your club.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Winning 14 in a row should stop any claims that a first prime is needed in order to win. The play has revealed.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
As I said, this team is a solid road team. Always sticks to the game plan.

The game against the Wild is going to take a back seat to the Buckeye game. If you think about it, it is just another game in December. The winning streaks make it interesting, but in the big picture, it is just another hockey game. I guarantee you that that is the way Torts and the team are looking at it. The Buckeye game is for the right to play in the Championship match, so that will be the main focus, and really, rightfully so.

I will be working, so won't get to watch either, but will be keeping up with things on Twitter and the CBJ phone app.

Jacket Junkie

Mar 26, 2006
Nationwide Areena
Others have answered already, but I'd like to chime in. The short answer is surreal. The long answer is I've been so conditioned to expect them to lose. So used to them having the inferior lineup compared to whoever they're playing that to see our uniform and logo out there killing teams that used to destroy us is just weird. It doesn't feel real yet and I'm kind of waiting for something to go wrong.

But I look at the roster, I look at their style of play, their discipline, their chemistry, their enthusiasm and their depth, and everything makes sense. This is the team I've been waiting for since October of 2000, but I honestly never expected the arrival to be this good or this fun. After 15 years of no luck and bad luck I guess it's just our turn for some good fortune and the progression to that mean has been ridiculous.

You nailed it in a nut-shell.

Ditto :nod:

Jacket Junkie

Mar 26, 2006
Nationwide Areena
As I said, this team is a solid road team. Always sticks to the game plan.

The game against the Wild is going to take a back seat to the Buckeye game. If you think about it, it is just another game in December. The winning streaks make it interesting, but in the big picture, it is just another hockey game. I guarantee you that that is the way Torts and the team are looking at it. The Buckeye game is for the right to play in the Championship match, so that will be the main focus, and really, rightfully so.

I will be working, so won't get to watch either, but will be keeping up with things on Twitter and the CBJ phone app.

Says you.

Blasphemy.

This is a hockey board.

No back seat business here. :)

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Winning 14 in a row should stop any claims that a first prime is needed in order to win. The play has revealed.

imagine if we had this Prime

350px-Optimusg1.jpg

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Anyone have a link to the Foligno interview on SportsCenter after the game last night??? Didn't get a chance to catch it live, would love to hear what was said

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Sorry didn't mean it as an insult, they have always seemed like a club stuck in mediocracy.

No insult taken, just wanted to point it out. You are not wrong that they have always seemed like a club stuck in mediocrity because it's true.

I have been telling my non-CBJ friends for the past couple of years (and have always been wrong :laugh:) that they have a lot of young talent and soon won't be the cellar dweller team they have been. I thought they might take the next step once PLD got a couple years in the league and all of the young guys grew together. Never expected it to happen this year.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Says you.

Blasphemy.

This is a hockey board.

No back seat business here. :)

Lol!

I wasn't referring to how I feel about it, but was pointing to the State of Ohio as a whole. While there will be great interest in the CBJ game by some, the vast majority will be focused on OSU.

My buddy will have two TV's going, one with the OSU game, and one with the CBJ game.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
Yea, WTF is OSU thinking scheduling a play-off game on the same night as the biggest regular season game in NHL history that just so happens to involve the local squad!?!? :sarcasm:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Start of the year he was #1, but he's struggled a bit recently so I will agree with others and say he's #2 behind Jones.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Start of the year he was #1, but he's struggled a bit recently so I will agree with others and say he's #2 behind Jones.

Agree, some struggles in our own end.

Partly attributable to rookie mistakes.

Partly attributable our own extraordinary expectations - In comparison, I could not believe how HORRIBLE Doughty looked at the end of the LA-EDM game last night with the game on the line, but he's still THE man in many books.

But to me I see it mostly as a rookie running into the wall. My perception is that ZW is physically tired AND emotionally spent for the moment. He has already played an entire NCAA season before NYE. Mentally he sees 48 more regular season games and playoffs in front of him, and the 14-game streak has him on playoff alert status, when really it is just game 35 tomorrow night. He has had loads of responsibility put on him (and I'm ok with that). He's 18/19 traveling with guys 5-10 years older over the holidays. His best attribute is confidence, quiet swagger, aggressive offensive play. Being aggressive offensively is his best defense. But when a player is tired, the tendency is to be less aggressive, thinking that is the best way to avoid the apopalyptic mistake. Which usually ends up with several smaller mistakes, some of which end up in the back of your own net (or Bob bailing us out).

No blame, and not suggesting that he sit for a game or two.... He will find his legs (and spirit) soon enough, HCJT will throw him out there at the end of games when he does, and he will have much success, along with a few failures. This up and down process will likely repeat another cycle or two until playoffs (I feel like Linus in the Pumpkin Patch talking about the Great Pumpkin, but 54 points before 2016 is swept out the door is just insane compared to our expectations for this season). The key will be getting ZW (and others) humming on both counts just as playoffs arrive. Long way to go, he will be fine. We are not going to go 48-0, nor do we need to.

But I would really like 15 tomorrow night!!!!! :laugh::)!

WashedUp

Mar 28, 2014
Seems odd there is no GDT here yet for the Minny game. Talking Wild/CBJ in the Peg thread.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad