GDT: Game 3: Vancouver Canucks @ Anaheim Ducks - Home Opener!!! - 7 PM PST

Jul 22, 2012
Cogliano has been great huh? Weird how a new role can completely change a player.

Also, I have been pretty impressed by Allen. Doesn't make many mistakes, and hits HARD.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
minor changes would do HUGE for the team.

just simple. vatanen must come in immediately! what to do w sbisa? kills team giving a bad defenseman the biggest? defensiverole. can we trade him? in and out these two and anaheim is much better. i would say a trusty winner team. hiller also. not good. not good at all.

EENOK/IL, Finland

Sami absolutely sucks at defense, Sbisa is bad now, but replacing him with Sami is bad when we need defense.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Hiller's gotta be better about poking pucks that float through his crease though. Yes that's part of the D's responsibility. But he needs to do his part.

In Hiller's defense (pun intended) the first time (Beauch) and the second time (Lydman) the D man was down on the ice in front of him and should have stopped the pass before it got to the crease. I wouldn't be surprised if Hiller's view of the puck was blocked by a teammate's body each time.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Kinda funny that many more are starting to see it how I thought preseason (Bones would be better 4th line center on this team). Unfortunately that decision has been made and IMO its time to see where Rakkel and Holland are. I think both should have to prove they belong in these next few games. If neither are ready send them both back. And bring in a different 4th line center if neither are ready (Murray has avoided bringing in a 2nd line center for years, can't see him doing it now).

For whatever reason I don't like the idea of moving Holland to wing more than the idea of Rakkel going to wing. I guess cause Rakkel has played wing more. I'd like to see tonight's and the next game as Beleskey-Holland-Rakkel and if it doesn't work, it's time to send one of the young guys down. If both struggle send them both back and bring in Arnott.

DSP better be on a plane as I'm typing. I 100% don't believe Etem should be brought up. He needs to prove he's ready down there. I'd bring up Maroon personally.

I think if Sbisa can be packaged for a 2nd line center then it should be done. No this is not a knee jerk reaction. I've thought Sbisa was overrated here for a long time now, and I've stressed 2nd line center importance for years.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Things were going our way with the other lines. Rakell's wingers were still ****ing up when the 4th line was out there. I'd go so far as to say Beleskey had his worst game in Rakell's debut. Yet he still found a way to be more than another new number on the ice.

interesting that you say that. i'd like to ask why. i think belesky had his best game so far this season at rakell's debut. he was not doing much last night cause he was always in the box. and mediocre against calgary imo..
he made a great defensive play in rakell's debut and unleashed a couple shots as well as being physical.

JtotheLew

Dec 14, 2009
Seoul, South Korea
DSP is so bad. The guy is invisible until he give Vancouver a goal on a plate with a terrible turnover in our end.

I feel like this could be Getz best season if he keeps playing like this, I have never seen him start this good he's really playing awesome at both ends of the ice. His penalty was a little bit Pejorative Slured but if he takes one less whack then he gets away with it, he's just gotta learn to toe that line better (he's not a rookie, he should already know). Perry is off to a bad start in his contract year and he's letting it get to him too much, we're 3 games in.

Even though Winnik didn't score I thought he played really really well and made a lot of decent plays, I'm excited that we finally have a big, safe player on the 3rd line who is not totally incapable of contributing offensively. On top of that he gels well with Cogs and Koivu, despite us getting pounded last night they had some good cycles going and got our best scoring chances.

I thought Fowler played really well last night he joins the rush a lot but never seems to get caught out of position and our Forwards seemed to do a good job of dropping back for him without much confusion. He's such a smooth skater.

It's a back to back and Hiller got pounded last night, I think we should at least give Fasth a try today but who knows what BB is thinking.

Nikko*

In Hiller's defense (pun intended) the first time (Beauch) and the second time (Lydman) the D man was down on the ice in front of him and should have stopped the pass before it got to the crease. I wouldn't be surprised if Hiller's view of the puck was blocked by a teammate's body each time.

But that's the problem. A goalie is never supposed to allow a pass to go thru his crease. It means he is either too deep in the net or cheating on his angle. Hiller could have had both of those.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
interesting that you say that. i'd like to ask why. i think belesky had his best game so far this season at rakell's debut. he was not doing much last night cause he was always in the box. and mediocre against calgary imo..
he made a great defensive play in rakell's debut and unleashed a couple shots as well as being physical.
It was his least physical game.

Who cares if he let a few shots go? It's Matt Beleskey. His shot is terrible. Getting one shot on goal doesn't get you a gold star, which is all he had.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
After rewatching last night's game, I don't think the problem on that second line is the chemistry between Bobby and Selanne. When those two were near each other is when that line looked the most dangerous. It looked the least so when Bonino had it. The puck just seems to get turned over with him either with a bad pass or getting out muscled.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
After rewatching last night's game, I don't think the problem on that second line is the chemistry between Bobby and Selanne. When those two were near each other is when that line looked the most dangerous. It looked the least so when Bonino had it. The puck just seems to get turned over with him either with a bad pass or getting out muscled.

Hmm that's interesting. I will trust your judgement since I ain't watching that **** over again. Bones had some good plays but IMO he's not what that line needs. I still think the chemistry between Ryan and Selanne is an issue. However if you're correct, the solution would be to try Rakkel and Holland there to see if they work better. That would allow us to keep the chemistry going the other lines have.

Jul 22, 2012
I'm not to pissed off about last nights loss, there's no team in the league who would of came out with the win in our situation last night. The refs weren't giving us any breaks, and along with that the Canucks PP was perfect. That AND we were getting rattled and the Canucks were just playing off of it is why we lost. We actually played really good 5v5. Not to mention Schnieder being perfect. If we had scored in the first ten minutes on the many chances we had it could of been a whole different game.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Hmm that's interesting. I will trust your judgement since I ain't watching that **** over again. Bones had some good plays but IMO he's not what that line needs. I still think the chemistry between Ryan and Selanne is an issue. However if you're correct, the solution would be to try Rakkel and Holland there to see if they work better. That would allow us to keep the chemistry going the other lines have.
There is another option. Move Koivu to that line on a temporary basis, while one of the kids gets battle tested with better linemates on the third or till Bonino gets his form back on the third line.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
There is another option. Move Koivu to that line on a temporary basis, while one of the kids gets battle tested with better linemates on the third or till Bonino gets his form back on the third line.

I just believe you do everything possible not to break up our 3rd line. They've been too good and the change its made in Winnik and Cogliano is crazy. I don't think it's smart to mess with it.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I just believe you do everything possible not to break up our 3rd line. They've been too good and the change its made in Winnik and Cogliano is crazy. I don't think it's smart to mess with it.
I understand, but I don't think either of the kids has looked good enough to trust with big guns like that. I think you give that job to the next best center, which right now would be Koivu.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
But that's the problem. A goalie is never supposed to allow a pass to go thru his crease. It means he is either too deep in the net or cheating on his angle. Hiller could have had both of those.

I understand the concept, but both passes came from almost on the goal line and in both cases the D man went down with his body parallel to the half wall and right next to the pipe. If you are going to obstruct your own goaltender that much you have to block the puck. When your D men are upright I agree it's Hiller's job to stop the pass.

In any case, it was a team loss. Lot of poor play to go around.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I am surprised that this board isn't talking about the officiating last night. The Canucks were handed the game via powerplays and a lot of them were questionable calls!

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I am surprised that this board isn't talking about the officiating last night. The Canucks were handed the game via powerplays and a lot of them were questionable calls!

If the game woulda been 5-3 or something like that you would probably hear more *****ing. However Ducks didn't deserve to win this one. They had all the momentum and Winnik takes a terrible penalty in the offensive zone. Getz got a little carried away.

Was officiating horrible and completely one sided? Yes, but that's not the only reason we lost. Schneider also outplayed Hiller, defense was bad, etc...

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Personally I thought the calls were legit until after the third goal against. After that, Dave Jackson and our reputation took over. I don't agree that the defense was poor, but the PK was. So there you go.

Ramenbot

May 2, 2010
Burbank
I feel like this could be Getz best season if he keeps playing like this, I have never seen him start this good he's really playing awesome at both ends of the ice. His penalty was a little bit Pejorative Slured but if he takes one less whack then he gets away with it, he's just gotta learn to toe that line better (he's not a rookie, he should already know). Perry is off to a bad start in his contract year and he's letting it get to him too much, we're 3 games in.

It's Getzlaf's contract year, too, and I think he's playing better because he knows he wants to stay with the Ducks. He's not anxious because he's comfortable, and that allows him to play with confidence. Perry, though, clearly doesn't know whether he wants to stay or go. He's cracking under self-created pressure.

navyduck

Sep 26, 2011
All I will say is that I have never personally witnessed any game in the last 20 years in which only one fighting major was given while the other combatant received only a roughing minor.

Horrible game over all for Ana. The officials just exacerbated the crap game they were playing after the first 10 minutes of the game.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If the game woulda been 5-3 or something like that you would probably hear more *****ing. However Ducks didn't deserve to win this one. They had all the momentum and Winnik takes a terrible penalty in the offensive zone. Getz got a little carried away.

Was officiating horrible and completely one sided? Yes, but that's not the only reason we lost. Schneider also outplayed Hiller, defense was bad, etc...

Agreed, it's hard to complain when we were shutout. If it's a closer game then yeah the officiating becomes an issue but it was a blowout.

navyduck

Sep 26, 2011
Personally I thought the calls were legit until after the third goal against. After that, Dave Jackson and our reputation took over. I don't agree that the defense was poor, but the PK was. So there you go.

Legit or not they weren't consistent unless you were wearing a specific color jersey....:sarcasm:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
All I will say is that I have never personally witnessed any game in the last 20 years in which only one fighting major was given while the other combatant received only a roughing minor.

Horrible game over all for Ana. The officials just exacerbated the crap game they were playing after the first 10 minutes of the game.

It looked like Ballard didn't have his fight strap on (at the game). No strap and lose your jersey in a fight = ejection, so clearly, he couldn't be fighting....

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It looked like Ballard didn't have his fight strap on (at the game). No strap and lose your jersey in a fight = ejection, so clearly, he couldn't be fighting....
Yep. There's no other reason to ignore that he fought, since he dropped the gloves and threw punches. But Jackson wanted to really ram the point home that you don't talk to him that way.

navyduck

Sep 26, 2011

His strap was on. You can see it in the replay of the fight. Just snaps high off the pants

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad