Pre-Game Talk: Game 3 of the Toronto Maple Leafs vs Tampa Bay Lightning series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Sometimes you have to beat the refs too to win a series, look at the 2019 Finals for example. If you're the Leafs if you want to move on, you have to win the special teams battles even if the refs are biased against you.
I have no problem with having to beat the refs periodically, but it seems like the Lefas have to play both their opponents AND thre refs every single series every year...

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Completely agree. Holl in over Liljegren is a disaster waiting to happen. Keefe needs be fired if they lose this series. Bring in Bruce Boudreau, a guy that has wanted to coach this team. Apparently Vancouver isn’t offering him a contract.
Well Boudreau is different kind of buffoon. If our I'd say smartest hockey player of all-time with great leadership qualities didn't find anything good to say about him with our greatest player of all-time saying mostly bad things I'd keep away from him. I'm referencing Saku Koivu and Teemu Selänne. Both thought basicly that Ducks lost any Cup hopes mostly because of Boudreau, that was scared shittless during playoffs and if that happens in Anaheim I wouldn't dare to try him in Toronto.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
BD081FB4-BCFE-41DD-BDF6-EF5E51C70A2A.jpg

They plan on holding up signs? Towels are better

Reactions: AvroArrow

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Well I'm all for toughness. But it's clear the officials have their whistles out in full force. Happy to see good guy Spezza get in here. Engvall-Blackwell-Spezza makes a very skilled 4th unit

Reactions: Burnie97

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I have no problem with having to beat the refs periodically, but it seems like the Lefas have to play both their opponents AND thre refs every single series every year...
That's why I mentioned the 2019 Blues. They had to beat Boston and the refs in all 7 games to win it all.

Reactions: Azazel

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
My B day today, if there is a hockey god, he will make them win. If you suddenly see Holl make sliding blocks like Borje Salming you can thank me. If you see Engvall score a laser wrister and pound someone like Wendel Clark, you can thank me. If you see Tavares suddenly skate like Kapanen but score like 2019 Tavares you can thank me. If Soup looks like Johnny Bower all game, you can thank me. If you see Keefe run his bench like the 1967 Punch Imlach you can thank me. If Kampf turns into Dave Keon and ......whatever...... just win for my birthday you suckas.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
My B day today, if there is a hockey god, he will make them win. If you suddenly see Holl make sliding blocks like Borje Salming you can thank me. If you see Engvall score a laser wrister and pound someone like Wendel Clark, you can thank me. If you see Tavares suddenly skate like Kapanen but score like 2019 Tavares you can thank me. If Soup looks like Johnny Bower all game, you can thank me. If you see Keefe run his bench like the 1967 Punch Imlach you can thank me. If Kampf turns into Dave Keon and ......whatever...... just win for my birthday you suckas.

Let's hope they hockey gods like you better than me because game 5 against MTL was last year on my birthday and we know how it ended.

Happy birthday, by the way.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
If Keefe plans to have matthews 5v5 ice time in same area as mik and engvalls for rest of series go sportchek tonight for your golf clubs

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Looks like Keefe is still new to being a leaf fan.

Get ready for the tinfoil hats.. I don't care I'm calling it!

He's trusting the league to be consistent, Keefe expected a beefy, tough and grind series and it played in our favor in Game 1, we were faster and hitting harder, Tampa was stunned. Game 2 the refs saw we were the faster aggressive team and started making regular season type of calls and it played against us (7 penalties). Now keefe thinks this is how the series is going to be called and sat his meat and potatoes to ice more skill and speed and WATCH the refs put the whistles away while Tampa goons it up without our enforcers and we get bullied. When we put back our enforcers to match the intensity in Game 4 the refs will call the game tight again to negate their use.

This is just the way it goes for us

Reactions: Azazel and IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That's why I mentioned the 2019 Blues. They had to beat Boston and the refs in all 7 games to win it all.
The 2011 SCF had even worse officiating, and the Canucks could not overcome it.

Reactions: Azazel

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Keefe is really rolling the dice here by bringing in Holl, no doubt. If the refs continue to call it tight - something I'm not opposed to - then this gives us our best chance on the PK. The downside of course is that he can be a one man circus in his own end at times and has next to zero offensive savvy. Just don't pair him with Muzzin and we might be ok.

I'm kinda/sorta on the fence with this but I'd rather Holl comes in tonight than on Sunday if we do happen to lose tonight.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Just saw the news that both Simmonds and Clifford are out.

Not sure if that's the right play. Tampa is going to be extra physical tonight with the home crowd behind them.
Of course its the right play. Both have been a disaster all season long.
Dubas should have spent that 900K per on more useful players instead of slugs.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Just saw the news that both Simmonds and Clifford are out.

Not sure if that's the right play. Tampa is going to be extra physical tonight with the home crowd behind them.
Think we're rolling the dice on that backfiring for them, especially without having Simmonds & Clifford getting involved in the antics. Improve our second PP with Spezza back. PP2 tonight should be Mikheyev-Bunting-Kase-Spezza-Giordano. Which is a big improvement from game 1 where we had neither Bunting or Spezza on the unit

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Nobody is afraid of Corey "Steve" Perry and hopefully his counterpart Pat does something stupid and it's Maroon 5 and a game.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Only change I would've made was Clifford in and Simmonds out. Maroon and Perry are going to terrorize tonight.

Just watched Tim and Friends segment and they showed Perry with his "crazy eyes" look at Lyubushkin. I seriously would laugh right in his face if he did that to me. 🤣🤣

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

There's a difference between blindsiding a player who doesn't know you're there and who isn't involved in the play; and hitting a player who knows you're there and you are both chasing the puck, and turns his back to you.

And not 'nothing' - a minor for boarding, which was appropriate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad