GDT: Game 3: Columbus at Buffalo | 10/10 7PM EDT

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I actually like Wiz as well. I like his toughness and his shot from the point. But he's probably the worst defenseman we have right now.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
For me it isn't so much that the guys are bad, as it is their performance per dollar. Wiz is being paid too much to be a PPQB and 3rd pairing guy. Foligno and Umberger are both paid too much to be "third line" guys, while Johansen is simply frustrating in his slow development (particularly his lack of offensive skill).

I agree with this. Wiz is paid to much for his production thus far. But I don't agree with the Umberger and Foligno thing. In todays world, they are right on par with what they should be making.

I thought Johansen was very good tonight. He got a primary assist, and cycled the puck very well. His only questionable move was the 2on1. Why are you guys so negative in a win?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Count me in for trading Wizniewski for an upgrade at forward. Lol at blaming the line for being "tired". Your teammates being tired doesn't make up for handing the puck away at least once before stupidly chasing a guy in the corner which led to a goal. Wiz should know his d partner had no stick, if not, Nikitin should be screaming to let him know. Also, what offense exactly is Wizniewski providing? He isn't dominating any kind of form of offense. Not power play not even strength not nothing. Before I come off as a complete Wiz hater, I actually do like the guy. I just wish he was better, especially for what he gets paid. We have a log jam of capable defensemen that actually can play defense well. Ship Wiz for a bag of friggin pucks, he'll never come close to 50 pts again in a season. Sure overall he looked "pretty good" besides that one mistake but we just played the Sabres in a game we probably could of won 6-1 if we kept up our tempo. Whenever we play teams with any level of speed and skill combined, Wizs lack of defense appears. We can't compete long term with the minutes he is getting. I hope Keks shares my thoughts.

Pretty hefty words and overreactionary suggestion for only the third game of the season.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Why are you guys so negative in a win?

For me it is the fact that we won against a fairly bad team in buffalo, and if we play like this in Boston or against other good East teams we are going to be in trouble. Its good that we won, but this is the sort of game we should win. (I guess this is what it feels like to be a fan of a good team, its not just that you win but how you win.:handclap:)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
For me it isn't so much that the guys are bad, as it is their performance per dollar. Wiz is being paid too much to be a PPQB and 3rd pairing guy. Foligno and Umberger are both paid too much to be "third line" guys, while Johansen is simply frustrating in his slow development (particularly his lack of offensive skill).

That trio kind of dominates though. And look around the league if you want to find out what PPQB's go for. It's a lot.

Count me in for trading Wizniewski for an upgrade at forward.

You're not even close to being realistic. No one will give you a stud winger for Wiz.

Ship Wiz for a bar of friggin pucks

Getting warmer. Still not realistic.

Reality is Wiz isn't going anywhere except through a buyout. And I don't think that's a good idea (unless the coach continues to use him in defensive situations, that has me warming to the idea of a buyout). Wiz could hit 50 points this year, he produces offense with ease, and we have an owner willing to pay and no one to replace Wiz with as a PPQB.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Should we be talking about Boone Jenner and about how no one missed him?

I hope we don't miss someone who played mediocre in the first two games of the season. Games are too big for him right now. He got his toes in, go to the A and shape your game kid.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I hope we don't miss someone who played mediocre in the first two games of the season. Games are too big for him right now. He got his toes in, go to the A and shape your game kid.

When Richards started juggling the lines 5 minutes into game 1, that's no way to get the rookie involved.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Spin...you gonna be down and around the AD on saturday? i remembered you still need to pay up on a bet ;)

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Reality is Wiz isn't going anywhere except through a buyout. And I don't think that's a good idea (unless the coach continues to use him in defensive situations, that has me warming to the idea of a buyout). Wiz could hit 50 points this year, he produces offense with ease, and we have an owner willing to pay and no one to replace Wiz with as a PPQB.

Wiz has been turnover machine on the PP. I honestly rather see Letestu on the first pair instead of him. As for no one to QB, give Murray a chance.

bizzz*

Pretty hefty words and overreactionary suggestion for only the third game of the season.
Some people wanted to get rid of Foligno after pre-season game. I hope they noticed who is the team's leading goal scorer. And I don't give a damn that none of those two goals went to the net from his stick.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Some people wanted to get rid of Foligno after pre-season game. I hope they noticed who is the team's leading goal scorer. And I don't give a damn that none of those two goals went to the net from his stick.

Very true. :laugh:

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I didn't get to watch the game, but the fact there's a lot of complaining after a 3-goal win is very compelling. Remember the times when we used to huddle around and clutch onto a silver lining after getting beat 5-2 by Detroit for the nth time? :lol:

knucklepuck28

Jun 9, 2011
Columbus
So a hypothetical situation.

Boone Jenner/Ryan Murray has a 4 goal game, and the stupid Canadian media decides to blow it out of proportion. Which veteran on the team would say to Portzline that they'd whip out their pet rooster if they scored 4 goals?

Answer that question and I think we know who our new captain should be.

Wiz without a doubt.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I didn't get to watch the game, but the fact there's a lot of complaining after a 3-goal win is very compelling. Remember the times when we used to huddle around and clutch onto a silver lining after getting beat 5-2 by Detroit for the nth time? :lol:

You haven't been paying attention. They way I understand it, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is that, as a fan of a winning team, you get to complain even more!

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
You haven't been paying attention. They way I understand it, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is that, as a fan of a winning team, you get to complain even more!

Apparently. Seems clear to me that our fanbase has the potential to become as obnoxious as any in sports, as soon as we have what we see as a winner!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Savard was terrible tonight.
He was all over the place.
Yet nowhere near the puck.

So long as he's covering his man like he should, I don't care if he never even sees the puck, let alone touches it.

And yeah, while I haven't seen the whole game yet (caught several highlights afterward, and portions of the game while it was live), the so-called "new Wisniewski" (as the Dispatch put it, post-probation) has been looking surprisingly g-dawful in his own zone. Maybe he should go back to being paranoid and tentative 5-on-5. ;)

And in more happy news, HOLY **** FIRST LINE. :D I hope that keeps working. It would be awesome.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Of course people are going to talk about what a good team needs to improve even in wins. How we play matters so much more. We are trying to make the playoffs and not just lose by only 2 goals instead of 4. You know you can't afford to play poorly against good teams, because those games matter so much.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Of course people are going to talk about what a good team needs to improve even in wins. How we play matters so much more. We are trying to make the playoffs and not just lose by only 2 goals instead of 4. You know you can't afford to play poorly against good teams, because those games matter so much.

I can understand the desire to critique, but it's game 3 and some of the things I've read in this thread are absurd.

It's funny to me that the groupthink about game one was about the lines being jumbled too much too fast, yet a player or two has a slow start and we're ready to ship them to Korea for peanuts.

How about we just watch the team grow, enjoy some winning and go from there? It's a young team, a young organization. The only consistent thing to expect at this point is inconsistency, not the 1927 Yankees. jeebus, after all we've been through you'd think people would've learned to enjoy the ride now that things are finally turning. I'd hazard a guess that if anyone in real life was as critical with some of these people as they are with this team: after game 3: they'd probably be whining about how nothing they do pleases anyone, nobody loves me, etc an so forth.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00