Post-Game Talk: Game #3 CAPITALS @ penguins, 7:30 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
I’m not so sure. Obviously want to win tomorrow, but if they lose the series is tied. Not a disaster in my view.
Maybe not a disaster - they've done a bit to reverse historical trends - but their home record isn't all that encouraging. BT gets last change at home, so the potential disaster is more likely to be averted if he adjusts to a loss tomorrow in G5.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
G4 tomorrow is likely the key. The Caps need to respond to Willie out. I like Little Stevie on L1 and Gersich moved in to the bottom 6. Caps win tomorrow, come into Verizon with momentum. Lose tomorrow, lose momentum and come home where they're 2-3 in post season. Devo steps up. Trotz plays around a bit (i.e., adjusts) by icing Devo on a few shifts with 8 & 92. Pens had announced Sestito call-up before G3, but he didn't dress. Trotz needs to have players ready for Penguin goonery. Don't retaliate. Hope the refs call the first transgression.

If the Pens play useless Sestito, advantage Caps.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The thing with "responding to Wilson being out" is it's not an injury so is rallying around it going to happen, who knows?

I guess the persecution angle could work.

I think this a huge blow, a lot bigger than any of us will realize until we see the Pens start the first period tomorrow night with a barrage of shots and maybe goals.

Reactions: Bladerunner

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
This suspension is because the NHL hates the look of big guys hitting people and hurting them. Add in the fact they wish they could have suspended him the game before. I have a 100 bucks that the pens start taking liberties in game 4 and we get called for everything because the NHL sucks balls! Todays NHL would kick out Pronger/Lindros/Stevens etc.. its a joke

You know they will and nutpunch will be the first to start it. Best thing can happen tomorrow is Wilson's replacement makes an impact and Vrana scores a hat trick.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
The thing with "responding to Wilson being out" is it's not an injury so is rallying around it going to happen, who knows?

I think this a huge blow, a lot bigger than any of us will realize until we see the Pens start the first period tomorrow night with a barrage of shots and maybe goals.

It is a huge blow. Holtby will have to be stellar and we have to hope that Murray continues to be mediocre. Caps will have to steal Game 4, IMHO.

Reactions: RandyHolt

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
No surprise the fans who don't like TW also don't like the hit. And will find a million ways to justify it. Even when unbiased NHL players and other personnel disagree.

Caps need to hit MORE now. The Penguins are clearly afraid of it, and it disrupts their obstruction game. We sink backwards we play into their hands.

Trotz has nothing to lose this year. He may just cut everyone loose.

I think he will since he's an old school coach and probably hates how the NHL is becoming a weak league.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

Look, it's not insignificant. Wilson has been a difference maker. But teams lose players routinely in the playoffs. The Pens missed Letang last year. Crosby was out a game and they won. Malkin was out a game this year and they won. Hagelin has been out the whole series.

They need to man the f*** up, and show that they have the plums of a Championship team.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Screw it, I hope to see the Ovechkin celebrations that Cherry hates tomorrow. Winning again in Pittsburgh and having him score to win again would be epic. Maybe do a few laps around the rink like he did a few years back in Toronto. Maybe even get Kuz in the action and he can do the chicken wing celebration in front of the Pens fans.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Look, it's not insignificant. Wilson has been a difference maker. But teams lose players routinely in the playoffs. The Pens missed Letang last year. Crosby was out a game and they won. Malkin was out a game this year and they won. Hagelin has been out the whole series.

They need to man the **** up, and show that they have the plums of a Championship team.
This. They’ve shown some resilience this playoff season. This situation is no different. Git it done.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Hitting can separate a man from the puck and cause turnovers. It can also yield retaliation calls. It’s possible to play a smart physical brand of hockey.

Ask all the teams (Ducks, Blues) that believed this and tried to outhit the Hawks how that worked out. Or how it went for all the teams that tried to outhit the pens the last 2 years.

By all means we can attempt to grind their bones to dust while getting more suspensions as they snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in a year where the hockey gods have actually been pretty good to us so far.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Ask all the teams (Ducks, Blues) that believed this and tried to outhit the Hawks how that worked out. Or how it went for all the teams that tried to outhit the pens the last 2 years.

By all means we can attempt to grind their bones to dust while getting more suspensions as they snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in a year where the hockey gods have actually been pretty good to us so far.
I don’t get this absolutism.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

Hitting them needn’t involve more suspensions. Keep hitting them and forcing turnovers. It’ll wear them down and cause them to make more and more mistakes.

It is precisely when the Caps have taken their foot off the physical gas that they have blown series.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Suspending Wilson wasn't just about keeping an impact player out of the line up for 3 games and de gonading Tom. It was also about putting the rest of the Caps on their heels. There are the following scenarios.

1) Caps back off from the physical game - and they've lost their biggest weapon. ADV Pitt
2) Caps continue the physical game (w/o 43), but get called for many penalties. Pitt has a good PP. ADV Pitt
3) Caps continue the physical game (w/o 43) and the refs call it fair (I'll believe it when I see it). PUSH-ADV Caps

In reality you can, and usually have mixtures of the above to keep normie fans perplexed about the "integrity" of the game :rolleyes:
See how this works? :mad:

animositynow

Mar 4, 2012
time for vrana to step his game up. would love to see him on the top line, but it will prob be smith-pelly lol

EternalOptimist

Apr 26, 2018
This may not be as bad as everyone thinks. It's really just a big test, one of many in a long playoff run, to see what kind of stones our guys have really got this year. So far all signs point to Ovi and co. here to play. They look hungry. You can't honestly say it doesn't feel different this time; bulldozing 4 straight through columbus, and winning this most recent game, a game we'd almost always lose in the past

It's about rising above adversity, which all championship caliber teams have to do at some point. 3 games for wilson, who has provided us a crucial edge in this series, is ridiculous and a clear favor for the pens. But we can win without him.

If this team really finally has what it takes to not only beat the pens but make a real push for the cup, then this suspension will only serve to fire them up to what results in a dominating game 4 win, a game many now expect the "caps of old" to fold and lose in. But instead, witness only the dagger to the heart of all pittsburgh heading back home to finish this shit out once and for all

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Watch the Video. Please. It is reasonable.

BTW Tom Wilson weighs under 220.

Wilson suspended three games, out for Capitals in Game 4

Yeah, just like Ovechkin is 230. Wilson doesn't weight 250, but he's pushing 230+ easily and even if we take your number Wilson still has 20 pounds on him. They both engaged, if they wanted to suspend Wilson for one game as a "sit down and cool off, you've toed the line to much" I'd be annoyed but could live with it. 3 games could decide the series. They've taken one of our best players this post season out of the game on a hit that didn't even draw a penalty because the outcome matters more then the action.

I don’t get this absolutism.

They can't be right if they don't do it.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
DSP is quite the obvious choice imo. He played there before at the first half of the season, he has been good in the playoffs, and brings some of those elements back of what they lose in Willy.

Would be nice to see Gersich, but id figure Barry will trust in the more experienced Boyd in the first of three. And cant blame Barry for that, we really dont know what we have in Gersich. Maybe he gets the second or third if things arent clicking.

Ps. I would like to see us appealing on the suspension. Not because i think it would get games out of the suspension, but just to not go out easily/quitely and show the guys we are with them and try to have their backs off ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad