Pre-Game Talk: Game 29, Calgary at Toronto

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

""

Sheldon Keefe on the call-up of Joey Anderson: “He’s a guy we were looking to call up quite soon regardless of injuries… He’s a true leader for the Marlies in all facets”​

Any update to share on Nick Robertson?

Keefe
: He is going to have an MRI this afternoon, which will give us a better idea of where that is at.

Pierre Engvall has a hearing with league discipline. How does that change your preparation for the game against Calgary?

Keefe
: It doesn’t change much other than if he is available, he is available. If he is not, he is not, and we will adjust from there. That is really it. We will let that process play out.

What stands out about Joey Anderson’s game that earned him the call-up?

Keefe
: He is a guy that has come up a couple of times over my time here. I think he has done well in a very short window of time. Each time he goes down to the Marlies, he is a true leader for them down there in all facets.

The coaching staff really likes and appreciates his game. He has been productive offensively. He is a hard-working guy. I think it’s just that the timing was right.

The reality is that we have sped things up here given the injury situation. He is a guy we were looking at calling up quite soon anyhow regardless of injuries. We feel that with Järnkork’s injury, there was an opportunity to get him more involved. Things have moved up a little bit there.

It is not necessarily just because of anything that happened last night. He is a guy we have been wanting to get involved here for a while now.

After you made the switch of Nylander and Marner on the top two lines, the team hasn’t lost a game in regulation. Both of those lines have really picked up some steam. Do you legitimately feel like you have two number-one lines that pose an issue for the other team’s coach?

Keefe
: I feel that way even when the lines are the other way. I don’t think that is any different. When you are coaching our team or coaching against us, I think that is just how you have to look at it.

The individual players have really found their game. I think that really started to come around even before we made the switch in the lines.

That is really how our team is built. Right now, it is working for us on those lines. If you look at last night’s game, you can’t discount the effort that was put forth by guys on our third and fourth lines as well.

That has been what has been really nice throughout this run here: We are getting production from different people at different times. Our top guys are driving us for sure, but there are a lot of good things happening — whether it is on the scoresheet or not — throughout our lineup.

Michael Bunting is on a good run right now. Do you see anything different in his game after the slow start?

Keefe
: A lot of our guys had slow starts, obviously. We’ve talked enough about that. It is a long season. Sometimes, it takes time to find a rhythm and find your game, especially for Bunting, who is a guy who hasn’t been in the league for a long time.

He has had to go through some things mentally where it is a bit of as shift, right? Last season, you are new to the league and no one really knows who you are. You are having all sorts of success, and all of a sudden, you come back and you’re playing alongside the Hart Trophy winner. That line is getting a ton of attention. You’re getting a ton of attention. The officials know exactly who you are. There is all sorts of stuff happening there that takes time to adjust to.

Especially offensively, a lot of good things happening in his game. It really starts with him being really competitive and executing when the puck is on his stick.

It looks like Denis Malgin will get an opportunity on the second line after the injury to Robertson. What are you hoping to see from him?

Keefe
: When the puck comes to you, you have to make a play with it, whether that is finishing a chance or scoring a goal or advancing the play and keeping things moving for the line. At the same time, you have to bring some defensive utility. You have to be able to win pucks back and be working on defense.

When you are playing up there — and Robertson himself had some struggles with this — the matchups are entirely different. You have to be able to work without the puck to earn it back to have a chance at some offense yourself and also make sure the line isn’t spending too much time in its own end, isn’t being scored on, and all of those kinds of things.

""

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ah Calgary. The one Canadian team whose fanbase isn’t overly combative or annoying towards us. The team itself is full of greaseballs still even with Tkachuk gone, but at least online we won’t have an army of douchey Flames fans.
Eh Ottawa seems alright too.

But Vancouver and Edmonton fans - the stalker like obsession they have with the Leafs is remarkable. And it's a one-way street too... like as far as their teams go, I'm sorry but I'm just not that into them.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Eh Ottawa seems alright too.

But Vancouver and Edmonton fans - the stalker like obsession they have with the Leafs is remarkable. And it's a one-way street too... like as far as their teams go, I'm sorry but I'm just not that into them.

Ottawa’s fan base is small but vocal. They were talking a lot of smack when they “dumped” Murray on us and after the “Summer of Pierre” was supposed to see them compete for a playoff spot.

Since they stink and they haven’t beaten us in a while it’s all quiet from them. Which is fine by me.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Calgary has been the definition of "not firing on all cylinders". They have been far less than the sum of their parts this season. I don't think anyone on the team is having a great year, so far.

Contrast that with our Maple Leafs and their current hot streak. I'd say the Leafs are the clear favourite.

Looking forward to Marner extending his point streak, and seeing how long the current shutout streak goes. I'll also be paying close attention to the "new" guys in Timmins and Joey Anderson.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Calgary has been the definition of "not firing on all cylinders". They have been far less than the sum of their parts this season. I don't think anyone on the team is having a great year, so far.

Contrast that with our Maple Leafs and their current hot streak. I'd say the Leafs are the clear favourite.

Looking forward to Marner extending his point streak, and seeing how long the current shutout streak goes. I'll also be paying close attention to the "new" guys in Timmins and Joey Anderson.
Joey is going to play?

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Ah Calgary. The one Canadian team whose fanbase isn’t overly combative or annoying towards us. The team itself is full of greaseballs still even with Tkachuk gone, but at least online we won’t have an army of douchey Flames fans.

Montreal ain’t that bad either. Because of the French feeds on TV they don’t have constant Leafs replays of Matthews and Marner having cellys Lol.

Everywhere else in English gets it shoved in their face and I get it hahaha. Saw it a lot in BC
Then again we had Habs colours on the CN tower not by too long ago so maybe alotta Habs fans felt vengeance had been served :laugh::laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Malgin on the second line……..saints preserve us

Within the next week would be a good time to make a move for a forward.

Montreal ain’t that bad either. Because of the French feeds on TV they don’t have constant Leafs replays of Matthews and Marner having cellys Lol.

Everywhere else in English gets it shoved in their face and I get it hahaha. Saw it a lot in BC
Then again we had Habs colours on the CN tower not by too long ago so maybe alotta Habs fans felt vengeance had been served :laugh::laugh:

God that was awful. Worst playoffs ever.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Dude their GDT is usually 4 pages lol
Should be nice seeing Kadri

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Ask any Leaf fan in Ottawa (example me) and you will get a very different opinion.
Completely unbearable. It took me many years to learn to not listen to or read any Ottawa Sports media coverage. The petty inferiority complex the locals have is something else.

Before moving to the region, the Sens were my #2 team... that changed pretty quickly lol

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Second half of a b2b for calgary

Boys should destroy them, but it could get tough with kadri on their side. I’m expecting two goals from him

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Second half of a b2b for calgary

Boys should destroy them, but it could get tough with kadri on their side. I’m expecting two goals from him
1st half isn't going well for them. Jackets look good tonight.

I'll be keeping an eye on Timmins before we get healthy on D. His comfort level from his first game to that last one was a good sign.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Dude their GDT is usually 4 pages lol
Should be nice seeing Kadri

Not sure if the fans know what internet is down there lol
I'm pretty sure that Calgary Flames fans just gather on a different social media site, but I don't know what it is. There's a lot of interest in hockey there.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad