GDT: Game # 29: Anaheim Ducks @ New York Rangers , 4pm PT, BSSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Are you really upset that a sophomore and 18 year old rookie haven't become true number one centers yet?

I mean Leo a lot of nights looks like a future 1C stud to me, but he is only 18yo trying to adjust to NA ice, so going to have growing pains. He’s skating with two guys struggling, but is still on pace for like 30 goals in a full 82 game season. Rangers fans were beyond impressed with him last night, and understood why Anaheim chose him at 2ndOA.

McTavish was playing and producing like a 1C before he got injured, And Zegras had two back to back 60+ point seasons. On this team that is 1C production. Other teams that is easily a higher end 2C

If anything we need to figure out who will be the 1C and 2C, and have three options for two spots, that is a very good problem to have. I am more concerned with the wingers to help support them. Terry is way off this year, and Killorn has yet to really get going.

Reactions: HanSolo

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I mean Leo a lot of nights looks like a future 1C stud to me, but he is only 18yo trying to adjust to NA ice, so going to have growing pains. He’s skating with two guys struggling, but is still on pace for like 30 goals in a full 82 game season. Rangers fans were beyond impressed with him last night, and understood why Anaheim chose him at 2ndOA.

McTavish was playing and producing like a 1C before he got injured, And Zegras had two back to back 60+ point seasons. On this team that is 1C production. Other teams that is easily a higher end 2C

If anything we need to figure out who will be the 1C and 2C, and have three options for two spots, that is a very good problem to have. I am more concerned with the wingers to help support them. Terry is way off this year, and Killorn has yet to really get going.
I don’t think there’s any question about the 1C, it’s who will be the 2C is where the future question is. I also don’t think we need a 1st line/2nd line designation this year, I think we have two lines with 2nd line potential (on a legit playoff roster) and ride the hot hand/better matchup for any given game.

I think you just go back to the original top 6 whenever/if we are fully healthy and let everyone slot back to better roles. Vatrano/McTavish?Strome isn’t a 1st line, but can produce thst way when being sheltered by a 1st line that’s unfortunately also not really a 1st line, but has higher overall talent.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t think there’s any question about the 1C, it’s who will be the 2C is where the future question is. I also don’t think we need a 1st line/2nd line designation this year, I think we have two lines with 2nd line potential (on a legit playoff roster) and ride the hot hand/better matchup for any given game.

I think you just go back to the original top 6 whenever/if we are fully healthy and let everyone slot back to better roles. Vatrano/McTavish?Strome isn’t a 1st line, but can produce thst way when being sheltered by a 1st line that’s unfortunately also not really a 1st line, but has higher overall talent.

Yeah if we were running two scoring lines even if they are high end 2nd lines, would have some depth to compete. When you are ice cold in the entire Top 6, these are the games you get.

That 2nd line has really fallen apart since Mac went down, at least the Top line looked dangerous at times last game and didn’t get scored on last night. But they need to get on the score-sheet even if it’s some dirty goals. The execution and chemistry is not there.

Here was the stat chart for last night..

IMG_5114.jpeg

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Yeah if we were running two scoring lines even if they are high end 2nd lines, would have some depth to compete. When you are ice cold in the entire Top 6, these are the games you get.

That 2nd line has really fallen apart since Mac went down, at least the Top line looked dangerous at times last game and didn’t get scored on last night. But they need to get on the score-sheet even if it’s some dirty goals. The execution and chemistry is not there.

Here was the stat chart for last night..

View attachment 784541
Yeah, I think you had a combination of McTavish playing like a 1st liner with the responsibilities/matchups of a 2nd liner, allowing two guys who should be 3rd liners to do well. 1st line has been downgraded with the Carlsson sits and Killorn not being Killorn, and Strome and Vatrano are now 3rd liners being forced to try to carry a 2nd line, and it isn’t working. Which is what you’d expect. Carlsson shouldn’t be on a top line yet, Killorn shouldn’t be on a top line, Terry can’t carry a 1st line but is making himself worse trying to, Strome belongs on a 3rd line, Vatrano belongs on a 3rd line unless he’s the designated shooter on a team with 5 better options than him for everything BUT shooting. Leason doesn’t belong in a top 6 unless it’s the same situation, which I guess it technically is, but you know what I mean.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, I think you had a combination of McTavish playing like a 1st liner with the responsibilities/matchups of a 2nd liner, allowing two guys who should be 3rd liners to do well. 1st line has been downgraded with the Carlsson sits and Killorn not being Killorn, and Strome and Vatrano are now 3rd liners being forced to try to carry a 2nd line, and it isn’t working. Which is what you’d expect. Carlsson shouldn’t be on a top line yet, Killorn shouldn’t be on a top line, Terry can’t carry a 1st line but is making himself worse trying to, Strome belongs on a 3rd line, Vatrano belongs on a 3rd line unless he’s the designated shooter on a team with 5 better options than him for everything BUT shooting. Leason doesn’t belong in a top 6 unless it’s the same situation, which I guess it technically is, but you know what I mean.

Yeah I like the idea of having two 2nd lines that can score, will give us the depth to compete more. 3rd line is a black hole, get more production from some of our 4th liners like Leason and Carrick.

I like to see what Leo can do when he is not the main focus on the ice, getting Mac and Z back will help divide the opponents D more. Right now it’s just the top line and they are struggling to score as well.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Strome isn't a center. I dunno why Rico wasn't playing 2C over Carrick. Maybe they think Carrick's rough and tumble like is similar to Mac, but not really.

Reactions: lwvs84

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Yeah I like the idea of having two 2nd lines that can score, will give us the depth to compete more. 3rd line is a black hole, get more production from some of our 4th liners like Leason and Carrick.

I like to see what Leo can do when he is not the main focus on the ice, getting Mac and Z back will help divide the opponents D more. Right now it’s just the top line and they are struggling to score as well.
Agreed. I'd like to see z take Ts spot on the top line. I think we're past Vats-McT- Strome so push strome down. Let he and Rico face some weaker competition.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I know it’s been brought up, but mac being out has left our “veteran leadership” looking like garbage.
the kids have been wats expected or a little better

The vets (excluding Vatrano/Gudas/) we were counting on to play solidly lead by example suck

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I think they’re doing what they can to do what you’re asking for. Fowler is off the top PP, and there’s simply nobody on the roster that can take his minutes without getting caved in. Henrique is on the 3rd line, getting pretty small minutes, and Leason is on the 2nd line. He’s still exponentially better than Groulx, and is still significantly better at the whole points thing than Carrick. Killorn is being allowed to play himself into game shape, and the left wing choices are him, Leason, Jones, and the 4th line chaff (don’t get me wrong, I’m rationalizing why he looks so bad and makes such bad decisions, but I think he’s also being told to not give himself an injury like Drysdale and Zegras did). Silfverberg gets 20-30 more seconds of ESTOI that the 4th liners, meh. He gets more PP time than Jones and the 4th liners. Carrick might be better, but the 4th line is saved for the post-PP shifts. Him being on the PP is a function of injuries- he’s 12th in PPTOI/G.

The team has a talent deficit. Demoting/benching those guys just makes it more likely that the team will lose even more pathetically.
Henrique being better than Groulx is part of the problem. Henrique should be putting up decent numbers, laying big hits and leading by example. But he does none of this. If the team was winning and showing some kind of hint at competing for a playoff spot, I'd say sure you keep Henrique in the lineup on the chance he turns his game around but thats not where the Ducks are. Keeping him on the team just shows bad habits to the youth and is taking ice time from someone who will actually be on the team in a few months. As of now he has the same number of goals as the 4th line enforcer, despite having better line mates and having 4 mins more of ice time per game. Killorns played 19 games so far. How long is it going to take to get into game shape? As bad as Leason was last year, has Killorn looked much better? Slightly more dangerous but not by much.

The talent deficit is a problem but do you trust the Ducks to fix it? Eventually you have to bring in some vets that can lead by example. Killorn was Verbeeks biggest add of his tenure and he's clearly overpaid. Strome hasn't been terrible by any means but he's also overpaid. Vatrano and Gudas were solid adds but hardly gamebreakers. Trade wise, Verbeek hasn't exactly won many as a seller, can he do better as a buyer? I'm not sure. Young teams need vets to lead even in the dark days of lottery playing hockey and I don't trust the current crop to that for a different number of reasons.

Gibson - Very talented goalie who I have defended a lot but he's a hot head that can let it effect his play, thats not what you need from a vet. You can't have your goalie barking at the ref when you're tied at 1 in the middle of the play. This season in my opinion has been an outlier. He was always hot headed but there wasn't an example of him letting it get to him and he wasn't letting in nearly as many soft goals like he has this year.

Fowler - Good skater but when you think of that clutch playoff warrior whos out there laying it on the line Cam Fowler comes off as the opposite of that in 2023. The games on the line with 5 seconds left, you can count on him throwing a shot from the point into the boards a football field away, he never hits anyone. at most if someone ran the goalie he'd give them an evil look and skate away.

Henrique - Never hits, never is engaged with the game and now you can add barely does anything on offence to that list.

Silf - Effort is always there, plays the game smart but his reduced ability sometimes makes me wonder if he should be in the lineup on a day to day basis.

Jones - Kinda the same as above. There's times where hes clearly the hardest working player on the ice but he just can't seem to ever produce.

Strome - Good player, can get nasty at times but he keeps missing all his chances which makes it hard to gage where you put him in the lineup.

Vatrano and Gudas are the perfect medium of guys who can do it all. They're engaged, they're hitting and they aren't a lability to the team but they can't be your best vets.

Personally, I'd like to see the Ducks look to trade or sign an elite player that can lead by example. But I'm not sure thats going to happen any time soon so I'd go with the idea of treating the entire roster as equals. You can't have two separate coaches bench Zegras and have 3 years of Shattenkirk playing AHL quality hockey. You can't sit Leo late in the game because he screwed up a PP and have him replaced by a dude with 1 goal. I understand that you give vets a little more leash but this isn't Jiggy ,Getzlaf, Perry or Selanne its Killorn, Gibson, Henrique and Fowler. They aren't hollowed figures of the franchise and aren't above a good benching / scolding.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'm a bit confused in what people are expecting from our vets. They were never supposed to be leading this team in points. They're here to teach attitude, professionalism, drive, commitment. It's not their fault that the team is current skill deficient. They can't heal guys and we can't expect them go be more than they are.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm a bit confused in what people are expecting from our vets. They were never supposed to be leading this team in points. They're here to teach attitude, professionalism, drive, commitment. It's not their fault that the team is current skill deficient. They can't heal guys and we can't expect them go be more than they are.
They should be as priests in the Age of Empires and just wolololololo our injured guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille