PGT: Game 27 WJC Semi-Finals: U.S. 2 - Russia 1 Part II

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
New one. They were spreading that "Everyone hate us here, because russians, crowd is against us, reffs are against us" during the whole tournament. Cold War atmosphere in that locker room.

Where’d you come up with this? Do you have a link or interview stating as such?

blindpass

May 7, 2010
It's people living in the past. Wonder what their excuse will be when the younger players reach their prime and Canada is no longer as dominant in the international tournaments. The past decade of the World Juniors have shown that Canada's younger players are no longer as good as a couple other countries. USA (and arguably Finland) has passed them IMO, and it'll translate to Olympic success starting in 2026.
The standard "5-10" years we've been hearing for decades. But I actually don't doubt it is possible this time. There isn't some innate Canadian ability to play hockey. Success is a result of population, participation, organization, investment and culture. The elements are there for the US to overtake Canada at the senior level esp. with the amount of investment from the NHL there.

On the one hand, cheering for this is fine -- you follow the players in your country, you relate to them, you might even know some of them. All good. On the other hand (and I'm sure no one here is guilty of this), deriving some personal pride from it or doing vicarious battle with other fans over it is really quite pitiful and small-minded, moreso than the schoolyard "my dad could beat up your dad," because it has even less to do with you.

Reactions: Tender Rip

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Well I am an American and I think all Americans should back off the dominant talk. Canada has done more and produced more talent in hockey than ANY nation bar none and to think we could take that mantle away considering hockey is NOT the USA's #1 sport is ludicrous. I'm proud when they do well knowing the stiff competition from Canada and Russia, but I surely know who owns the game, and its not the US.

Reactions: Lomez

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Everyone hates us from the Russians...
Hmmm

Well, this must have been the battle of the hated based on the amount of vile directed at USA during this tournament.

World is such a fun place these days

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Where’d you come up with this? Do you have a link or interview stating as such?
Go on sports.ru and scroll down all articles during this weak about WJC. Pretty much every interview is about reffs hate us/crowd hates us, since game 1 when Russia took bunch of penalties against Czechs.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Everyone hates us from the Russians...
Hmmm

Well, this must have been the battle of the hated based on the amount of vile directed at USA during this tournament.

World is such a fun place these days
There's enough persecution for everyone!

Typically people cheer against the team of the fanbase they are going to hear the most shittalk from if they win. So relax, that's all it is. (Go Finland!)

I think the US actually had a lot of local support at the tournament because of Quinn Hughes hype (and Madden).

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Now that’s a real apology. Not sure if a good coach or parental figure got in his ear about it or if he really wrote that himself but either way - it’s sincere and introspective which is more than you can say for 99% of apologies issued by famous ADULT figures these days - millionaires in sports, entertainment and politics who do stupid things and then tweet or have their lawyers issue some BS about how they are terribly sorry if anybody feels insulted by what they said or did.

It was a bad look by Kostin but seems to have been an excellent teaching moment for the young man so you gotta respect that.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Totally fine with what he did. I would have done worse at his age in such a hostile environment and after a tough loss. No biggies and no reason to make drama out of this.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

There is an element of truth to the notion that everyone wants to see "Ivan Drago" lose, that is just human nature. But in this case, only Kochetkov kept the score as close as it was. The US thoroughly dominated and richly deserved the victory. He was emotional after the game, but also a non-factor throughout it. By far the best team won!

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Respect for Kostin for the apology, though I didn't think it was necessary. People know this tournament means a lot for these kids. They want to win badly. At least he didn't chuck a silver medal into the stands, though.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
New one. They were spreading that "Everyone hate us here, because russians, crowd is against us, reffs are against us" during the whole tournament. Cold War atmosphere in that locker room.

you'd have to have blinders on if you can't see the effect anti Russia hysteria in the west has had on people. effects everyone differently . maybe listen instead

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Kostin post game comments are disgusting. What an idiot. And he's planning a career in NHL?

He’s only 19. When you were 19 you barely had pubes and you want to judge this kid? Let him learn, mature and progress.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I really don’t care about Twitter ‘apologies’. Anyone could write it for a person. I would rather hear him speak it for me to really believe it. Be it him or anyone else that makes such a mistake.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Great win for USA. The last 8-10 years has shown the USA has made some huge progress.

Also, I’m an American and I could easily say Canada is still the best internationally best on best. I’m doubt that will change in my lifetime (currently 40) unless it moves to the number 2 or 3 sport in America.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I really don’t care about Twitter ‘apologies’. Anyone could write it for a person. I would rather hear him speak it for me to really believe it. Be it him or anyone else that makes such a mistake.

Ya you're not owed anything for this minor incident. Watch hockey

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I respect Kostin for his apology.

He’s a kid, his emotions and passions in the heat of the moment got the better of him.

Go win Bronze Russia!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Prove us otherwise, pal. Its undeniable that other countries are catching up to Canada. Your blind if you cant admit that

Canada has won what 9 of 13 best-on-best tournaments?

It would have been 10 of 14 if we got to go to the Olympics.

A couple World Jr. results doesn’t change that Canada is the hegemonic power in the hockey world.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
There is an element of truth to the notion that everyone wants to see "Ivan Drago" lose, that is just human nature. But in this case, only Kochetkov kept the score as close as it was. The US thoroughly dominated and richly deserved the victory. He was emotional after the game, but also a non-factor throughout it. By far the best team won!

I wouldn't go as far as saying he was a no-factor, he made two really good passes which were great scoring chances, Primeau and the US defence just managed to come up with big saves or blocks. He was also quite physical on the ice with some good hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad