GDT: Game 24: Columbus at Toronto | 11/25 7PM EST

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i'd be 100% on board with what stevo61 had....

13-42-11 showed last night why they were one of our better lines last year and picked up the chemistry quickly...the others just fall in place...dubi and gabby together just makes sense...and 71 - 19 - 8 just screams what this team is...hard hitting, fun to watch hockey...

Bronz

Oct 21, 2013
I would much rather go the route of having:
1)an all purpose 1st line that can excel offensively and defensively while logging big minutes
2)an offensive zone possession line that takes the majority of shifts that start in the offensive zone
3)a pain in the ass energy and excellent checking line with enough grit and intensity and some skill to chip in offensively every now and then

1)Dubi - Joey - Horton
2)Atkinson - Anisimov - Gaborik
3)Foligno - Jenner - RJ

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
When healthy, like others, I'd go:
Foligno-Joey-Horton
Calvert-Dubi-Cam
Umby-Arty-Gaborik
Jenner-Letestu-Mackenzie
Comeau-Boll

1st line has lots of size and keeps Foligno/Joey tandem together.

2nd line worked well last year, Matty and Cam complement each other extremely well.

3rd line is the underachiever line ;)
But hopefully they get going.

4th line is pesky, fast, irritating, and even has a bit of a scoring touch.

Sadly, I doubt we'll see this full lineup for more than a couple of games. :(

But damn that is a deep set of forwards.

Boll has never been a healthy scratch, nor should he be, imo. i would sit umberger before boll. i would love to see them trade umberger for a defensemen when we get healthy

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Boll has never been a healthy scratch, nor should he be, imo. i would sit umberger before boll. i would love to see them trade umberger for a defensemen when we get healthy

we have 8 NHL caliber defensemen...and Umby has a NMC not happening...

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Anisimov just plays better with Calvert and Atkinson since they create so much havoc on the forecheck and do all the dirty work, Im not a fan of breaking that up. Make that line the 2nd if line numbers are an issue. I think with what I suggested you can roll 4 lines every game and be decent to good at both ends of the ice. I like Jenner as much as the next guy but he's what? 20? Hes been amazing considering expectations and age but hes not a top 6 guy yet and better suited in a more traditional checking role at this point. But if you have a 4th line with Jenner,Letestu, MacKenzie or Boll how many teams can match that? its gonna create some mismatches. But as some stated the chances of seeing this team completely healthy is slim

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
we have 8 NHL caliber defensemen...and Umby has a NMC not happening...

Savard, Erixon could use more time in Springfield. Nikitin could use some time in the press box most of the time, so I would say we have 5 NHL ready defensemen and a few of them need to play less minutes. I would trade Umby and a first for a top 2 defensemen. of course he would need to waive his nmc, but if it's a contender, he would, he wants to win

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I would trade Umby and a first for a top 2 defensemen. of course he would need to waive his nmc, but if it's a contender, he would, he wants to win

You're delusional if you think that package will return anywhere near a top 2 defenseman. Any GM that would make that trade would be labeled as incompetent and probably fired on the spot. This is crazy talk. I'm a big proponent of trading RJ, his contract is an albatross and his production just doesn't cut it. We can't sit and wait for him to get going every year. That said, no GM in their right mind would make that kind of deal. The likelihood of RJ finishing his contract with this club is pretty high, NMC or not.

In my mind right now, any move that GMJK makes will involve Nikitin. Frankly, I think that he's working on something big involving Gaborik as the deadline approaches. He has to get something out of Gabby if he's not going to re-sign him. If he lets him walk for free, he looks bad. I would look at Montreal as a possible trading partner. He was high on Eller, he might be high on Desharnais as well.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
NOW LEMME TELL YA SOMETHING ABOUT MATT CALVERT. HE PLAYED FOR THE BRANDON WHEAT KINGS, JUST LIKE RON HEXTALL SO YOU KNOW HE'S HALF-NUTS AS IT IS. AND YOU ALSO KNOW THAT HE'LL NEVER BACK DOWN. BACK IN HERSHEY I PLAYED WITH A GUY NAMED AL NICHOLSON WHO WAS FROM A TOWN IN SASKATCHEWAN JUST LIKE BRANDON THAT WAS CALLED ESTEVAN. WHEN AL WAS BORN, HE CAME OUT SIDEWAYS, SO YOU KNOW THAT TOUGHNESS RUNS IN THE FAMILY.

AND LEMME TELL YA SOMETHING ABOUT NOZZI KOTTER. HE'S GOT A LOT OF SKILL, BUT HE WANTS TO DO STUFF LIKE THIS AND GO AFTER THE SMALLEST GUY ON THE ICE. NOW LOOK RIGHT HERE. IF CALVERT HAD A KNIFE, HE'D ONLY BE ABLE TO STAB KOTTER IN THE KNEES BECAUSE HE'S SO SHORT. BUT CALVERT'S A GAMER AND KOTTER WANTS TO DO ROUGH STUFF BEHIND THE PLAY, SO CALVERT GIVES HIM A LITTLE BIT OF THE HOW'S-SHE-GOIN'. AND WITH SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO PLAY CHEAP LIKE KOTTER, THAT'S THE ONLY WAY THEY'LL EVER LEARN.

NOW FOR ALL YOU KIDS OUT THERE, HERE'S A LESSON. DON'T HIT GUYS FROM BEHIND, AND DON'T DO THIS TYPE OF STUFF BEHIND THE PLAY. IT'S DANGEROUS, IT'S DISRESPECTFUL, IT DOESN'T BELONG IN THE GAME, AND YOU JUST MIGHT GET EMBARRASSED BY A GUY A LOT SMALLER THAN YOU. THERE'S NO NEED FOR THAT TYPE OF DISRESPECT; YOU'RE NOT SOME VISOR-WEARING FRENCHIE, SO DON'T DO WHAT THEY DO.[/cherry]

:laugh:

i enjoy reading these so much.

thebus2288*

Man did we really get some steals with the Calvert and Atkinson picks. Cam has been hyped up quite a bit more and probably does have a higher ceiling but I still think most of you undervalue how skilled of a player Calvert actually is. Jenner also actually.

And yes Umberger has looked better, but do you see what happens when he is removed from 2/3 of that old line. Or is it ANY line? Many were saying it even at the end of last year to get him away from Johansen and it pretty much never happened. Look at the difference with Foligno too. Lots of people also said to keep the 3 together because they were our best (shutdown)line. Its pretty clear now which 2 guys kept that line going. And many of you wanted Foligno on the 4th line or even scratched.

The issue I have is why why why has it taken sooooo long for this to happen?

thebus2288*

Oh and Skille looked good from the little he was out there. Brings more offense than Mackenzie, Chaput and Comeau. If Mackenzie goes in the next game or so I think it should be Comeau coming out.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We have seen that from Matty C. before. That punch snapped Kadri's head back so hard his helmet almost popped off! Kadri got what he so richly deserved.

I said in another thread that I thought the CBJ missed Matty more than they realized. He is one of our best fore-checkers, and brings it every night.

Glad he and Jenner are back to create havoc out there.

Job last night Jackets!

Folks are going to eventually realize that Matty's stronger than he looks. You saw it the other night when Kassian bounced right off of him and Calvert went in and scored. And then Kadri (who's pretty strong himself) appears to be overmatched.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Talk about chemistry. Cam & Matt really seem to feed off each other. It seems like they just amp up when playing together. A pair I would leave together.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Talk about chemistry. Cam & Matt really seem to feed off each other. It seems like they just amp up when playing together. A pair I would leave together.

Absolutely. The only question is who goes in between. (I say Arty, because he doesn't work anywhere else).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad