GDT: Game 23: Quarter Finals | Finland Eliminate Canada 2-1 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Or perhaps I'm bringing up examples of Tournaments that I genuinely get emotionally invested into.

Not much or an intellectual, are we? :laugh:
And that's why you are still here an hour later :sarcasm:
And to the latter; average for a finn, probably top 5 % for a north american

Reactions: stopclickbait

Nov 1, 2011
Its hearthbreaking to IIHF, Hockey Canada, and Rogers Arena ownership who wont have as easy a time selling out the arena for the rest of the tournament, and TSN who just lost millions of viewers.

I'm holding to score a ticket for the finals that include a buffet for $20...want to see Q. Hughes...if the US gets there.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It’s a Junior Tourney....not the Olympics, nor the Stanley Cup. Keep it in perspective.

I have season seats to the Kitchener Rangers and growing up a Leafs fan this tournament and Kitch were the only times I had a chance to cheer for a win outside of the Olympics. So it holds a pretty big meaning to me.

Reactions: AreBe

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
We won the shots quite clearly and dominated especially in the 2nd period like hell but you need to score in this game. Canada only scored once and that's often not enough. This said, we got obviously rather lucky in the end, but you have to earn your luck. Anyway, very tough on Canada to have those bounces go against them, trust me, us Finns know the feeling...

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Czech pretty much did the same to Finland last year in the QF that Finland did to Canada now.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
The 14-0 game with the excessive celebrations after goals and comtois diving and acting like a ***** rubbed me the wrong way with this team.
We can stand to lose the jingoistic ugly Canadian chest pounding that we hate about Americans too
It's not exactly a children's tournament but if you live your life vicariously through 18 year-olds, the problem is with you, and your unrealistic dream
The skill was ok, and the fact is that the blood on the ice era is over, and you cannot impose the Philly Flu'
And the TV networks kind of pump it a bit too much with this Super Bowl Sunday thing, at least to me it so seam.

Reactions: RoughEmUp

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
And that's why you are still here an hour later :sarcasm:
And to the latter; average for a finn, probably top 5 % for a north american

I'm here because I continue to get notifications from you, while I was watching my boy Pettersson score a hat trick.

I suppose you're the exception to the rule in that case. ;)

ItalianLeaf

Nov 2, 2006
Man oh man, If I was a hockey stick manufacturer, Id be finding out what company made the stick Glass was using and replay that one timer attempt like crazy! That was as wide open as you can get and that stick break at that moment of the game is legendary

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Congrats to Finland. I hate the words Hockey Gods, Bad Luck, etc. You make your own luck at times. I thought Finland was the more aggressive team overall throughout the game, and they were rewarded for that. Canada's forwards did not get it done this game. Sloppy offensively, with bad passes, and unforced turnovers. Scored only two goals combined against Finland and Russia. Beat the Swiss by 1. Cannot believe Frost was not in the ice for OT, with Comtois taking the shot. That is not bad luck, but incompetence. Incompetent coaching and decisions made by Hunter. The worst Coaching/Captain combination ever. Outside the lopsided win against Denmark, I was not impressed overall with this team. Good luck to Finland in the Gold Medal game. They will beat Switzerland. Hockey Canada needs to get its act together for next year.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Sooooo Frost is the leading scorer on the team and doesn't see 1 second of ice in overtime. Great coaching
I feel like Morgan frost is going to get blown up by flyers fans into the best prospect in history like they did their so called roster of elite d prospects a few years ago.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
I'm happy Finland won, and congrats to them. Feel bad for DP, Glass, etc.

Everyone coming in here only to gloat about Canada losing, please **** off.
Canada didn't deserve to win, or at least not Comtois. He brought this team to failure. Karma is a bitch, that we everybody can agree on. He is a dirty player that doesn't belong in the sport, weird that Hunter made him the captain.

Reactions: AreBe and Larry44

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Canada didn't deserve to win, or at least not Comtois. He brought this team to failure. Karma is a *****, that we everybody can agree on. He is a dirty player that doesn't belong in the sport, weird that Hunter made him the captain.

Pretty harsh on the guy. He was consistantly tenacious on the puck and play all areas of the game. Plus he was the only returning player so the C made sense in that perspective as well

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Why was Canada wearing black? Looked absurd.

I think that black main color in hockey jerseys should be banned. Puck is the same color so it's harder to see the puck. Someone would say it's the same for both teams on the ice but I think that the team who isn't wearing black has a small disadvantage.

I think it got more popular after team NA young stars used it in World Cup couple years ago. Amazing looking jersey no doubt but I'm not a fan of this trend, especially having that as main color when Canadian flag doesn't have anything dark on it.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I kind of enjoy the talking heads at TSN losing some of their gravy

Be nice if they said what the Finns did right instead of the walk of death 'oh poor Canada'. If Bouchard made the play Vaakanainen made at the centre line with 46 seconds to go in the game, man oh man. Instead of backing up Vaak as last man back moved on the Canadian forward and kicked it out of the air to Tolvanen. No one mentioned that play, they would be losing their minds if that was a good old boy from backwoods Ontario.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Stupid canucks prospects ruining Canada's chances at a medal

Jake "Finnish Double Agent" Virtanen in 2016
Toni Utunen in 2018

Kidding of course but I think the better team ended up winning tonight

Reactions: Mestaruus

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I was really impressed by Leason and Hayton. Arizona has a good one there. I would put Leason as a better prospect than Suzucki right now and a bunch of other high picks. Id definitely consider him in the teens in the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred McCarthy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad