GDT: Game 22: Sharks vs. Capitals 7:30pm NBCSCA

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
He turns into a vigilante underground dog rescuer?

That would mean he wouldn't have time to play any hockey, leading the Sharks to be able to claim he's violating the terms of his contract by failing to show up for games and sleeping through practices. And so the problem is solved.

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I don't know. He's still owed 12.5 mil over the final two years of his deal after this season. If he's too prideful to not play, he hasn't really said anything publicly to indicate that sort of thing. I don't think it's a matter of spite even for him to not retire. Asking anyone to pass up that kind of money to retire due to not being good enough anymore seems like a stretch. The team ought to make that decision for him and buy him out unless some sort of injury situation comes up before the season is over. I'd prefer to bury him for his final two years and make him earn that money in the minors where he belongs even among this group of mostly fringe NHL d-men. But organizations tend to buy out guys like Vlasic in this sort of situation.
Sure, as discussed before, he likely isn't going to hang 'em up, but either a buyout or some sort of LTIR in retirement is possible. Why keep living the NHL life if you've already made your money, you're going to make the rest, you're not playing much, and you're not playing well when you are? Time comes for everyone. We've covered this extensively elsewhere. The original point was, lots of folks didn't think they'd sit him like they are, or begged the staff to do it, and they're doing it. So that's good at least.

There's just very little precedent for sending someone like him down to the AHL to finish out their career in the minors. We kind of froze Kane out that way but that was super unique.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sure, as discussed before, he likely isn't going to hang 'em up, but either a buyout or some sort of LTIR in retirement is possible. Why keep living the NHL life if you've already made your money, you're going to make the rest, you're not playing much, and you're not playing well when you are? Time comes for everyone. We've covered this extensively elsewhere. The original point was, lots of folks didn't think they'd sit him like they are, or begged the staff to do it, and they're doing it. So that's good at least.

There's just very little precedent for sending someone like him down to the AHL to finish out their career in the minors. We kind of froze Kane out that way but that was super unique.
There's enough precedent out there for sending Vlasic down to finish his career. It's whether management would prefer to finish out the rest of his deal like that or buy him out. Depends on how they feel about his dead money moving forward. I'm glad they're scratching him and give them credit for that.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
cant he ̶f̶a̶k̶e̶ have an injury like those other guys ?
robidasisland1.jpg

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
There's enough precedent out there for sending Vlasic down to finish his career. It's whether management would prefer to finish out the rest of his deal like that or buy him out. Depends on how they feel about his dead money moving forward. I'm glad they're scratching him and give them credit for that.
I don't know if you have a bunch of examples in your head, but I don't. I googled it, and here are 15 examples, none of whom were as big a deal to the organization they were in, and none of whom played more than ~20 or so AHL games before being bought out. So if the org does that, the likely outcome is just a buyout.

Reactions: Cas

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't know if you have a bunch of examples in your head, but I don't. I googled it, and here are 15 examples, none of whom were as big a deal to the organization they were in, and none of whom played more than ~20 or so AHL games before being bought out. So if the org does that, the likely outcome is just a buyout.

Vlasic may be the most prominent example on a list like that but I don't think he's that important to the team. They never really put a letter on his chest and they're not going to retire his number or anything like that. I agree that the buyout is the most likely option. It's just not my preferred. I'd rather make Vlasic finish his deal in the minors than buy him out but I realize that the org probably wants to move on and let Vlasic try and earn his way elsewhere...which good luck to him if so but he's probably a PTO-release sort of option for teams now.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I thought Team Tank wanted Vlasic playing as many minutes as possible, not scratched... all of you should be picketing in front of SAP Center right now demanding he be added to the lineup tonight

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I thought Team Tank wanted Vlasic playing as many minutes as possible, not scratched... all of you should be picketing in front of SAP Center right now demanding he be added to the lineup tonight

Team Tank is small now. Everyone's jumped on the bandwagon, four wins in our last seven games boooyah!

• Wow

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Well good thing replacing Vlasic with someone else is not going to do anything to help this team win. None of Vlasic's replacements bring anything noteworthy to the table

So team tank is still getting what they want, while team accountability and max effort will hopefully get a guy that seems to try more.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think anyone that they can replace Vlasic with will worsen their tank odds. Nobody is really good enough to win games on their own with offensive artistry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad