GDT: Game 22 | Columbus @ Winnipeg | 8 PM EST

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Most people going into the year were trying to claim he was an AHL level goalie and many questioned why the team even brought him back. Some of the most positive Korpisalo responses expressed the reason was more of a “favor” to him from the CBJ, instead of him actually being a GOOD goalie.

But he HAS been an AHL level goalie, for years, look at the numbers. And he's coming off MAJOR hip surgery, that area, along with the knees, are probably the MOST IMPORTANT AND CRITICAL parts of the body for a goaltender. He's been doing GREAT (for him) but his play can easily go back into the TOLIET because he's always been a WILDLY INCONSISTENT goalie, but now he's one with MAJOR health risks that could pop up at ANYTIME.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
But he HAS been an AHL level goalie, for years, look at the numbers. And he's coming off MAJOR hip surgery, that area, along with the knees, are probably the MOST IMPORTANT AND CRITICAL parts of the body for a goaltender. He's been doing GREAT (for him) but his play can easily go back into the TOLIET because he's always been a WILDLY INCONSISTENT goalie, but now he's one with MAJOR health risks that could pop up at ANYTIME.
If this thread isn’t proof that as a society , we live in the now , and emotions cloud our judgement in a major way . Korpi has played great .. he’s always had talent .. his problem is that the more he plays in a season , the worse he gets .. He played great last night , enjoy it.. doesn’t change his track history.. I’m ok with a Tarasov , and Korpi getting occasional starts in the future . I think Elvis probably gets moved , and has major PTSD from the incident .
E9D0AC9B-342F-4A35-B562-BD5E6A08708D.jpeg

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
On a podcast last season Rimer said it was because of Torts. Porty pushed back a bit and Rimer became a bit animated and adamant on his assertion.
Yup.. you can bet that the front office knew the real reason PLD left .. also if you remember , Torts took it personal , made it a thing in the media when it was supposed to be hush hush, so Jarmo could make a trade .. instead Torts torpedoed that agreement , challenged PLD in the media to be a man and tell his team why … Honestly that was probably the breaking point when Torts future here was sealed ..

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Yup.. you can bet that the front office knew the real reason PLD left .. also if you remember , Torts took it personal , made it a thing in the media when it was supposed to be hush hush, so Jarmo could make a trade .. instead Torts torpedoed that agreement , challenged PLD in the media to be a man and tell his team why … Honestly that was probably the breaking point when Torts future here was sealed ..
Torts let Jarmo know he wanted out well before PLD wanted out. He, along with Torts could see the direction Jarmo wanted to take the team, and neither fit. Torts may have wanted PLD to state his reason for wanting out to simply justify why Torts himself wanted out. As far as torpedoing a trade, I think Jarmo did just fine with it, whether Torts said anything or not.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Torts let Jarmo know he wanted out well before PLD wanted out. He, along with Torts could see the direction Jarmo wanted to take the team, and neither fit. Torts may have wanted PLD to state his reason for wanting out to simply justify why Torts himself wanted out. As far as torpedoing a trade, I think Jarmo did just fine with it, whether Torts said anything or not.
He did fine with the trade but obviously it wasnt Jarmo's first choice because the Laine thing was floated around for awhile. He was probably seeing if a center or someone else became available but after Torts ran his mouth Jarmo was basically forced to take the only major deal available at that time.
He was also probably seeing if Dubois and the team could patch things up over time. Even if it was unlikely the oppurtunity was taken away.

Reactions: majormajor

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
He did fine with the trade but obviously it wasnt Jarmo's first choice because the Laine thing was floated around for awhile. He was probably seeing if a center or someone else became available but after Torts ran his mouth Jarmo was basically forced to take the only major deal available at that time.
He was also probably seeing if Dubois and the team could patch things up over time. Even if it was unlikely the oppurtunity was taken away.
Maybe, but I think Jarmo had his sights set on Laine. PLD already knew Torts was gone, so either he only had to hold on one year and they would have a new coach. If Jarmo really wanted to patch it up with PLD, all he had to do was fire Torts then. Jarmo had his mind made up where the team was heading all along. I really wouldn't doubt if Dubois got wind of him being moved to get Laine here, and just sped up the process by asking out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe, but I think Jarmo had his sights set on Laine. PLD already knew Torts was gone, so either he only had to hold on one year and they would have a new coach. If Jarmo really wanted to patch it up with PLD, all he had to do was fire Torts then. Jarmo had his mind made up where the team was heading all along. I really wouldn't doubt if Dubois got wind of him being moved to get Laine here, and just sped up the process by asking out.

It was reported that the Jets offered Laine for Dubois months prior, and Jarmo passed. He was looking for a 1C swap so that the team wouldn't fall apart. Torts and Dubois together seemed to force his hand, so he returned to the Laine offer and made the deal and the team then fell apart.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
If they were looking for a 1C, PLD probably wasn't too happy about being bumped down or traded so its understandable that he would want out. As far as Torts goes, that could have been solved by letting him walk. The team was destined to fall apart anyway, whether any of this happened or not.
It was reported that the Jets offered Laine for Dubois months prior, and Jarmo passed. He was looking for a 1C swap so that the team wouldn't fall apart. Torts and Dubois together seemed to force his hand, so he returned to the Laine offer and made the deal and the team then fell apart.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If they were looking for a 1C, PLD probably wasn't too happy about being bumped down or traded so its understandable that he would want out. As far as Torts goes, that could have been solved by letting him walk. The team was destined to fall apart anyway, whether any of this happened or not.
I think your timeline is way off. They were looking to get a 1C in a Dubois trade not add a 1C above Dubois in the lineup.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If they were looking for a 1C, PLD probably wasn't too happy about being bumped down or traded so its understandable that he would want out.

They were looking to replace our 1C (PLD) with another 1C, because PLD wanted out.

The team was destined to fall apart anyway, whether any of this happened or not.

I think it might have fallen apart anyways. But we can understand Jarmo's reasoning. Losing your only 1C is a quick way to torpedo a team that was coming off four straight playoffs. He has to try to keep it going.

Reactions: LJ7

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I think your timeline is way off. They were looking to get a 1C in a Dubois trade not add a 1C above Dubois in the lineup.
Ok, so they were looking to replace him. He obviously wanted out. Basically this started because it was pointed out that Rimer said Torts was the reason the PLD wanted out. I don't believe it. He has stated that Torts wasn't the reason. Pierre-Luc Dubois talks about why he requested trade from Blue Jackets This all happened during the same offseason, and it came out that Torts said he wanted out right after the playoff series the season before. So if Torts was the reason he wanted out, why wouldn't you just let the coach walk, or fire him, and appease your unhappy center. They were already looking to move on from him too, I guess.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Kent Johnson is a hockey genius learning from Johnny Gaudreau every day, he will develop very well. My only gripe with his low deployment is it makes games a bit less fun to watch.
The hockey genius should still be in AHL if he is playing 10 mins a game. Johnny has a 7 year deal, so there's plenty of time to learn from him later

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I 100% believe PLD had intentions of staying up until negotiations started and he got intel Jones and Werenski were out the door at the end of the year from his agent. I believe all three shared the same agent at the time.

PLD, already frustrated by Torts and his coaching methods (remember that he hated the system in his final year here, and wanted to be more “safe is death” style from the year before. He routinely clashed with torts about it), saw an opportunity to leave before the fires started. I think he also has a dream of playing for montreal, which his agent knew, and fanned the flames of.

Obviously, Werenski ended up staying. But he also changed agents before doing so. I believe Pat Brisson, for whatever reason, doesn’t like the CBJ and steers his clients away from us if possible.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
I 100% believe PLD had intentions of staying up until negotiations started and he got intel Jones and Werenski were out the door at the end of the year from his agent. I believe all three shared the same agent at the time.

PLD, already frustrated by Torts and his coaching methods (remember that he hated the system in his final year here, and wanted to be more “safe is death” style from the year before. He routinely clashed with torts about it), saw an opportunity to leave before the fires started. I think he also has a dream of playing for montreal, which his agent knew, and fanned the flames of.

Obviously, Werenski ended up staying. But he also changed agents before doing so. I believe Pat Brisson, for whatever reason, doesn’t like the CBJ and steers his clients away from us if possible.

random note about brisson, he does have one current cbj player that he is an agent for. Luca Del Bel Belluz. interesting

Reactions: tunnelvision

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That's all very plausible. But also obviously informed speculation and not a 100% belief.

Anyways I can believe it. It could also be that Brisson took the Montreal idea and thought he could steer that outcome and ended up trapping his client in Winnipeg.

For selfish reasons I wouldn't have minded if we did a Suzuki Dubois swap. That would have preserved the lineup balance, and Suzuki is awesome.

random note about brisson, he does have one current cbj player that he is an agent for. Luca Del Bel Belluz. interesting

At least it's not a good prospect.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
That's all very plausible. But also obviously informed speculation and not a 100% belief.

Anyways I can believe it. It could also be that Brisson took the Montreal idea and thought he could steer that outcome and ended up trapping his client in Winnipeg.

For selfish reasons I wouldn't have minded if we did a Suzuki Dubois swap. That would have preserved the lineup balance, and Suzuki is awesome.

At least it's not a good prospect.

not a LDBB believer?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Flat production, hired Brisson despite his relationship with the CBJ... not much to be excited about.
I thought people were getting too high on LDBB but his points totals are up a bit and yet again Mississauga seems like a team that is 3 forwards deep. As a stat watcher it seems like an easyish team to plan for.
I also dont know if its defense or goaltending but it looks like a team that doesnt do so well at keeping the puck out of its own net

Reactions: Fro

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You would think that PLD had higher value than Suzuki at that point in time.
I don’t recall the exact offer but I think their main piece (rumored) was Caufield. I would have to think if jarmo got back a potential top 6 C In a package he would have took it

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad