GDT: Game 22: 11/28, Anaheim Ducks @ Vancouver Canucks , 7pm PT, BSSC

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
No excuses... Im not denying hes struggling.. He looks slow.. Just refuse to write him off as of yet.. Hes hustling but a 34 year old can only hustle so much.. No doubt we overpaid for him..
I’m not writing him off either, but he is far more to blame for the line not producing him than the rest of the line that’s feeding him. He’s also the direct cause of two goals against on bonehead passes.

I think he’s intelligently pacing himself back to form, but it’s pretty ugly to watch. He was actually getting offensive chances last night, now he needs to start doing something with them.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Zegras needs to just be let go. Go score, get points, that’s what you excel at so do it. I recall Teemu mentioning how Carlyle preached defense first to everyone, but that doesn’t make sense when it just isn’t part of the player’s attributes. Play to their strengths is my point, I suppose
He is more comfortable at center though, and centers generally have to do more defensively. If he would excel at wing, he can lessen his d-zone responsibilities.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Can't score for shit. Same song and dance every game.

This is the result of not drafting any impact forwards for years now outside of high first round picks (Z, Mason, Leo) on top of non-impactful forward acquisitions. Strome, McGinn are both blah. I have hope for Killorn but so far he's sucked. Vatrano has been good for what he is.

Also Terry being hot garbage this season. Hopefully Z gets back and brings something.

Gibson is a dumbass but honestly I don't really care what the goals look like when he gives up two and this pathetic offense only scores one. Again. You don't win games scoring one goal.

Defense was better so there's that I guess.

Generally, you'll find more success of impact forwards in the top-10; even more success in the top-3.

2019: C Zegras, 9th overall
2020: D Drysdale, 5th overall (not a forward)
2021: C McTavish, 3rd overall
2022: D Mintyukov, 10th overall (not a forward)
2023: C Carlsson, 2nd overall

We're still in rebuild mode as the youth continue to develop. Z made a huge jump between his first and second season in the NHL. Missed out on training camp and disrupted his flow as well as presence. Mac also is making a huge jump between his first and second season in the NHL. Carlsson is in his first year in the NHL as a part-time 1C. We're going to be dominant in a couple of years down the middle as both Mac and Carlsson put on more mass.

For defense, we just started our mass migration to the pro league this season. At the NHL level, there's LD Minty, LD LaCombe, and RD Luneau. At the AHL level, we have LD Zellweger and LD Hinds. RD Warren is already signed and will be here in 2024-25. Having most or all of our D develop means we can eventually use one or two as trade chips to acquire a top-6 forward or two.

Anaheim is actually sitting pretty right now knowing Carlsson was a hit of a pick, Mac being nearly a ppg player, and three rookie D-men in the NHL cutting their teeth. Vatrano and Strome are better players this year than last year. Gudas and Lyubushkin have been very good additions, with Lyubushkin probably receiving a better haul at the TDL than Klingberg. Even Vaaks is looking very serviceable now that he's healthy.

Verbeek has a year or two left on the rebuild and finding top-6 scorers should be a priority. He has options via FA, trade, a surprise forward or two in our system, or draft one with our first round pick in the 2024 draft.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Groulx said he'll be taking Luneau to stay with him with an interview with Aly. Wonder if that's a hint that Luneau might be sticking with the team the whole season?

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Groulx said he'll be taking Luneau to stay with him with an interview with Aly. Wonder if that's a hint that Luneau might be sticking with the team the whole season?
They've already robbed Tristan of a bunch of playing time, so maybe they've decided to just keep him and handle everything themselves. Glad he's got a place anyway, it sucks to live in a hotel.

SoCal Dreaming

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2020
This game was way more fun to watch than the recent other games. They generated more chances with 3 post. It could've been 4-1 win but thats hockey. I just want to see them attack like that moving forward and the goals will come. Still lots of mistakes but can't be perfect.

Gibson on that 2nd goal. I dont mind him doing that. If the defenseman was laying it on to that player, gibby wouldn't have to do that. If that was Pronger, he wouldve checked that guy out to the ground. Thats just my take.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gibson on that 2nd goal. I dont mind him doing that. If the defenseman was laying it on to that player, gibby wouldn't have to do that. If that was Pronger, he wouldve checked that guy out to the ground. Thats just my take.
And then we would have all been annoyed that the defenseman took an unnecessary penalty at the start of the 3rd period in a tie game against one of the best PPs in the league.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
This game was way more fun to watch than the recent other games. They generated more chances with 3 post. It could've been 4-1 win but thats hockey. I just want to see them attack like that moving forward and the goals will come. Still lots of mistakes but can't be perfect.

My only issue with Gibson on that, he took forever getting back. Kinda like he didn't expect what happened, to happen.

SoCal Dreaming

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2020
And then we would have all been annoyed that the defenseman took an unnecessary penalty at the start of the 3rd period in a tie game against one of the best PPs in the league.
That's true. I mean that was close to being goalie interference if puck went in. Which I doubt the ref would call judging how he just watched all of it. Plus ref didn't blow the whistle when Gibby was checking the guy. It has to be a mentality of... you go to our goalie blue area, you'll get punished then the goalie would just need to do their job, not get distracted and stop pucks. But thats just me and my wishful thinking lol

Reactions: duxfan1101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad