GDT: Game 21: Vegas Golden Knights @ Los Angeles Kings | 1:00PM | Please?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It just doesn't seem like we are built for success. Simply very disheartening considering we have made all these moves to win now.

The Blues got great goaltending and have a much better defense than we do on top of a similar forward group. And they still barely scraped over the line to win each series (that game 5 call against the Bruins was pretty brutal.)

But they didn't make moves to win now. They made moves to barely squeak under the cap and see how long their defense could hold up until the trade deadline.

They were flying by the seat of their pants all summer.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
When this rendition of Eakin is outproducing Stone, and Stastny, something is seriously wrong.

I do wonder what KM has in store with Pirri on waivers. Trade after he clears? Bring up another player(Coghlan?)? Or just save cap?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
But they didn't make moves to win now. They made moves to barely squeak under the cap and see how long their defense could hold up until the trade deadline.

They were flying by the seat of their pants all summer.

They created a whole second line last year worth 23 million, and gave up some first rounders to do so, I think there is a general sense that we are definitely in win now mode.

The cap planning failure is a big issue though, we got decidedly less for our trades because of it.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Either the coach sucks and the players are tuning him out or the players just dont give a shit anymore. Or it could be a bit of both.

Dont know how to fix this. It's easy to fire the coach, but he is not the whole problem.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
When this rendition of Eakin is outproducing Stone, and Stastny, something is seriously wrong.

I do wonder what KM has in store with Pirri on waivers. Trade after he clears? Bring up another player(Coghlan?)? Or just save cap?

I think if they were bringing up another player they could have easily sent down Roy or Hague. But who knows, honestly.

This team needs a big trade but based on our trades so far, I am scared what they would give up.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

What are they chances that they put both Hague and Coghlan in the lineup?

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
Too early to give up on the season, but we really look like an overrated team. I'd rather build from within than try to trade to "win now". Draft well, develop your pieces, fill in a piece here and there rather than sacrifice the future for a half-assed move to be a "contenda". We're going nowhere with guys like Eakin, Merrill, Pirri, maybe even Nosek (although he's OK on the fourth line). FWIW, this is only our third season and realistically there is no one on the team who was a high draft choice except Glass.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If Babcock gets fired does that make Gallant's seat any hotter? There would be a disciplinarian coach with a pedigree right there that the Knights could turn to. At a time that it seems the team could use that type of coach.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
No god...no god...no god NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (Babcock)

Overrated coach. Turk is a better coach imo. Team is in a major slump, but its just an ebb in the season. There will be some flow if the players buy in and compete harder. This team is too talented up front and in net to miss the playoffs.

I would be okay with moving a 2nd rounder or two and a B prospect for some defensive help though. If you are going to shake things up, get another veteran top 4 guy, don’t fire the coach that has lead the team and been the dark horse MVP of this teams history.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona

Overrated coach. Turk is a better coach imo. Team is in a major slump, but its just an ebb in the season. There will be some flow if the players buy in and compete harder. This team is too talented up front and in net to miss the playoffs.

I would be okay with moving a 2nd rounder or two and a B prospect for some defensive help though. If you are going to shake things up, get another veteran top 4 guy, don’t fire the coach that has lead the team and been the dark horse MVP of this teams history.
I don't think we're as talented as some other people think, especially in net. And I do think we'll start winning.

Too quick to always be breaking it up and hiring a new coach. And I absolutely don't want Babcock, hate his style. Toronto just got waxed by Pittsburgh, who is missing half it's team 6-1.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Team is too cap strapped to get a defensive upgrade without moving a big earner the other way.

I'm not Babcock's biggest fan, either, back from Ducks days and the question was more about if the team would be more likely to make that change if they had a replacement available rather than my opinion on it.

But Gallant doesn't seem the type of coach to get players back on track if they have stopped putting in more effort. He is a nice guy to the players. He also seems very hesitant to change course, which is necessary for almost every championship team.

Though I question if it is a question of effort or if that's something to make us feel better that the team just isn't that good.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Actually, I think I'm pretty chill on Glass because it seems there is no way that we would ever trade or bench any player who has even a remote connection to the province of Manitoba.
Or give him a proper opportunity to succeed. Oh wait no, we are over extending a helping hand to Eakin. So I guess if you don't have seniority you can get f***ed.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I know it's SinBin but reading this comment thread makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. How has the bar been lowered so quickly that we can call these performances good? Turk included.

Honestly how do we look even at this game and say, yeah mate, a little more confidence and this team is cupbound? This team could be in danger of missing the playoffs playing like this and it seems like half the fanbase thinks we're just not catching breaks.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Or give him a proper opportunity to succeed. Oh wait no, we are over extending a helping hand to Eakin. So I guess if you don't have seniority you can get ****ed.

You haven't factored in Eakin's Manitoba connection (the reason he was kept over Haula?) Manitoba+Inaugural veteran status supercedes Glass and his Manitoba only points.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I know it's SinBin but reading this comment thread makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. How has the bar been lowered so quickly that we can call these performances good? Turk included.

Honestly how do we look even at this game and say, yeah mate, a little more confidence and this team is cupbound? This team could be in danger of missing the playoffs playing like this and it seems like half the fanbase thinks we're just not catching breaks.

I was informed on another board that Vegas controlled this game and has played better the past few games but ran into a lot of bad luck.

I feel portions of this fanbase are so devoted they are cult-like to the point of not wanting to see flaws in the team or overestimating our talent or making narrative to justify our play. I don't think we should make excuses. We deserve to be where we are.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I was informed on another board that Vegas controlled this game and has played better the past few games but ran into a lot of bad luck.

I feel portions of this fanbase are so devoted they are cult-like to the point of not wanting to see flaws in the team or overestimating our talent or making narrative to justify our play. I don't think we should make excuses. We deserve to be where we are.
Honestly we deserve to be lower than we are, we are a better team than we are playing but we are playing worse than our record shows

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
I mean if Turk, SinBin and the players think the team is playing great, I’d hate to see what our record would look like if they’d been playing like shit.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
When I saw Detroit, Chicago and LA on the schedule I was thinking a 3 game winning streak was a possibility. I never thought the team would lose all 3 and people would say the team is playing well. :whaaa?:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
When I saw Detroit, Chicago and LA on the schedule I was thinking a 3 game winning streak was a possibility. I never thought the team would lose all 3 and people would say the team is playing well. :whaaa?:

VGK doesn't go on a roll when they're 'playing well' - they win when they outwork the other team and dictate the play.

You want to win 3-2 hockey games you'd best replace at least 2 defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad