GDT: Game 21 - Dallas Stars @ Winnipeg Jets - Tuesday, November 28th, 2023 - 7:00pm CST - TSN3 - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Tonight at Canada Life Centre, the Winnipeg Jets take on the Dallas Stars in a match-up of Central Division rivals. Game time is 7:00pm CST. The Jets are coming off of a disappointing 3-2 loss at the hands of the Nashville Predators on Sunday night and are now 12-6-2 on the season. The Stars are currently 12-5-2 after a 7-4 loss to the Calgary Flames on Friday and look to get back in the win column after two consecutive losses. Will Gabriel Vilardi return from injury tonight, and if so, where does he play and who sits out? After four days off, does Dallas have some rust, or did they get some well deserved rest? Can Kyle Connor find the back of the net again, or will Cole Perfetti and Nikolaj Ehlers take over in the sniper department? Will @SUX2BU have his GDT ready for the next game? Are these questions rhetorical in nature?

howiemandel.jpg

Earlier this season, we discussed some of our favourite restaurants that no longer are around. Well, I thought I would have a follow-up on that and look at some of the favourite stores that are not in business anymore. I guess I'll start, in no particular order...

CONSUMER DISTRIBUTING

consumers%2Bdistributing%2Bcatalogue.jpg

As a kid, the best time of year was around late August/early September when the Consumer Distributing catalog arrived in our mailbox. I would quickly peruse the pages, looking at all the latest toys and games that I wanted for Christmas. You would go to one of their stores, write down the catalog number that you wanted on a form, hand it to the clerk, and after a bit of a wait, they would bring it out from the warehouse and you would take it home. I remember my Dad bought a lamp (which can be seen in the background of my sleep pictures) there and we couldn't fit the box in the old 1975 Nova, so we took the lamp and put it in the back seat and left the box on McPhillips and Mountain. Good times...

CAPRICE DISTRIBUTORS

capital-sales-groceries.jpg

They were basically a junk store. They would buy damaged merchandise and sell it to the public. I had a location just down the street from me, so I was a frequent visitor. Bought all sorts of things there: candy, sports cards, toys, paint, a Farrah Fawcett poster. We always used to try to put slugs we found on the Motor Coach site in the drink machines. They didn't work and would always get stuck. The store staff would get mad at us... Good times...

GAMES UNLIMITED

mandmgames-2.jpg

I don't know how many hours I spent in this store playing video games, but I always seemed to end up buying something, including my Dungeons & Dragons Starter Kit, which I still have. I started off buying Atari 2600 games, but eventually graduated to Commodore 64 software (both of which I still have). Then one day it closed, it was very sad...

GAMBLES

Gambles_Logo.jpg

Someone had mentioned this department store, and I always loved it for the Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars! Can't remember much about this store other than that, but I always bought my toy cars there...

KRESGE'S POLO PARK

Dzybn09XcAEfrdG.jpg

I also mentioned this in the previous thread for it's Cafeteria, but I remember my Mother buying a whole shopping cart full of Birthday Party grab-bag fare. If I recall correctly, she got some plastic ping-pong sets and other trinkets that they were blowing out. Needless to say, the party was a big success. Love you Mom...:heart:

EATON'S DOWNTOWN

74007645_136181d3a6_c.jpg

While it was very expensive, no matter what, you were always treated with respect there. I remember as a kid buying my Dad a sweater for his birthday. They went out of their way to make it so special, even gift wrapping it for me. I felt so important! I also remember my family's annual trip to Eaton's Basement to get a new pair of garbage mitts for the coming winter season. While most people met at the Timothy Eaton statue, my family always met under the clock....

jzltrccn769oj093gb1n-7054529.jpg

WOOLCO

woolco+e+brunswick+nj+1965+pleasantfamilyshopping.jpg

Loved this store! They always had my favourite magazine in stock (CRACKED)! My parents always bought stuff there, as the prices were pretty good. Unfortunately, one of their downfalls was that when the GST came into effect, they were the only store to include the tax in the price, so it appeared to be more expensive. By the time they reversed their decision, it was too late. I remember my parents came home with a trunk load of stuff when they were having their close-out sale. I still have a ton of sports card supplies they bought me for pennies on the dollar. Hell, I still have my Woolco Nail Grooming Kit my parents gave me for Christmas one year...

MARKS & SPENCER

images

It was the favourite store of my Dad. He loved the quality of their pants and I still have about five or six pairs of his to prove it. He also liked their cheese for some reason and always bought a brick of it each time we visited. The store is still in business, but not here in Canada.

So what is your favourite store that is no longer around?

Let's hope Winnipeg sticks around for this game! Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Tonight at Canada Life Centre, the Winnipeg Jets take on the Dallas Stars in a match-up of Central Division rivals. Game time is 7:00pm CST. The Jets are coming off of a disappointing 3-2 loss at the hands of the Nashville Predators on Sunday night and are now 12-6-2 on the season. The Stars are currently 12-5-2 after a 7-4 loss to the Calgary Flames on Friday and look to get back in the win column after two consecutive losses. Will Gabriel Vilardi return from injury tonight, and if so, where does he play and who sits out? After four days off, does Dallas have some rust, or did they get some well deserved rest? Can Kyle Connor find the back of the net again, or will Cole Perfetti and Nikolaj Ehlers take over in the sniper department? Will @SUX2BU have his GDT ready for the next game? Are these questions rhetorical in nature?

View attachment 774382

Earlier this season, we discussed some of our favourite restaurants that no longer are around. Well, I thought I would have a follow-up on that and look at some of the favourite stores that are not in business anymore. I guess I'll start, in no particular order...

CONSUMER DISTRIBUTING

consumers%2Bdistributing%2Bcatalogue.jpg

As a kid, the best time of year was around late August/early September when the Consumer Distributing catalog arrived in our mailbox. I would quickly peruse the pages, looking at all the latest toys and games that I wanted for Christmas. You would go to one of their stores, write down the catalog number that you wanted on a form, hand it to the clerk, and after a bit of a wait, they would bring it out from the warehouse and you would take it home. I remember my Dad bought a lamp (which can be seen in the background of my sleep pictures) there and we couldn't fit the box in the old 1975 Nova, so we took the lamp and put it in the back seat and left the box on McPhillips and Mountain. Good times...

CAPRICE DISTRIBUTORS

capital-sales-groceries.jpg

They were basically a junk store. They would buy damaged merchandise and sell it to the public. I had a location just down the street from me, so I was a frequent visitor. Bought all sorts of things there: candy, sports cards, toys, paint, a Farrah Fawcett poster. We always used to try to put slugs we found on the Motor Coach site in the drink machines. They didn't work and would always get stuck. The store staff would get mad at us... Good times...

GAMES UNLIMITED

mandmgames-2.jpg

I don't know how many hours I spent in this store playing video games, but I always seemed to end up buying something, including my Dungeons & Dragons Starter Kit, which I still have. I started off buying Atari 2600 games, but eventually graduated to Commodore 64 software (both of which I still have). Then one day it closed, it was very sad...

GAMBLES

Gambles_Logo.jpg

Someone had mentioned this department store, and I always loved it for the Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars! Can't remember much about this store other than that, but I always bought my toy cars there...

KRESGE'S POLO PARK

Dzybn09XcAEfrdG.jpg

I also mentioned this in the previous thread for it's Cafeteria, but I remember my Mother buying a whole shopping cart full of Birthday Party grab-bag fare. If I recall correctly, she got some plastic ping-pong sets and other trinkets that they were blowing out. Needless to say, the party was a big success. Love you Mom...:heart:

EATON'S DOWNTOWN

74007645_136181d3a6_c.jpg

While it was very expensive, no matter what, you were always treated with respect there. I remember as a kid buying my Dad a sweater for his birthday. They went out of their way to make it so special, even gift wrapping it for me. I felt so important! I also remember my family's annual trip to Eaton's Basement to get a new pair of garbage mitts for the coming winter season. While most people met at the Timothy Eaton statue, my family always met under the clock....

jzltrccn769oj093gb1n-7054529.jpg

WOOLCO

woolco+e+brunswick+nj+1965+pleasantfamilyshopping.jpg

Loved this store! They always had my favourite magazine in stock (CRACKED)! My parents always bought stuff there, as the prices were pretty good. Unfortunately, one of their downfalls was that when the GST came into effect, they were the only store to include the tax in the price, so it appeared to be more expensive. By the time they reversed their decision, it was too late. I remember my parents came home with a trunk load of stuff when they were having their close-out sale. I still have a ton of sports card supplies they bought me for pennies on the dollar. Hell, I still have my Woolco Nail Grooming Kit my parents gave me for Christmas one year...

MARKS & SPENCER

images

It was the favourite store of my Dad. He loved the quality of their pants and I still have about five or six pairs of his to prove it. He also liked their cheese for some reason and always bought a brick of it each time we visited. The store is still in business, but not here in Canada.

So what is your favourite store that is no longer around?

Let's hope Winnipeg sticks around for this game! Go Jets Go! :hockey:
Nostalgia at its best
Awesome thanks Mac !!!!
The Black Sheep Boutique had a really rocking commercial back in the 1970’s

Long John Silvers arcade.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Nostalgia at its best
Awesome thanks Mac !!!!
The Black Sheep Boutique had a really rocking commercial back in the 1970’s

Long John Silvers arcade.
The underground bathroom on Garry which was a men’s bathroom when it closed.

Comfort stations — underground public bathrooms​

If Winnipeg was going to be a big cosmopolitan city like Paris, it needed a pot to pee in. Nice pots.

So city councillors made the decision in the early 1900s Winnipeg needed to build "comfort stations" downtown the public could use in times of need.

By 1917, the city had budgeted $17,818.76 to run its five underground public washrooms.

There were 16 attendants hired to keep them clean, earning annual salaries ranging from $609.60 to $732.

The stations were at:

• Market Avenue for men and woman (1907)
  • Fort Street for men only (1914)
  • Garry Street for women only (1914)
  • Selkirk Avenue for men and women
  • (1917)
  • Logan Avenue for men and women (1917)
The cost to build the Logan and Selkirk stations was $27,319.25.

The underground washrooms operated for about the next 50 years, but not without controversy.

During flood years, they filled with water and by 1948, there was a move to get rid of at least two of them for sanitary reasons.

There was also the spectre that they could collapse under the weight of a heavy truck, according to a Free Press story at the time.

"Then," said Alderman Jack St. John to health committee meeting March 10, 1948, "it would not be the city engineer or medical health official who would be responsible for those deaths or injuries, but the health committee."

The stations stayed, but by the early 1960s, some were getting in the way as the city widened its downtown streets to handle more and more commuter traffic.

The last of the comfort stations, the one on Garry, closed April 30, 1979. Its closure saved the city $85,000, what it cost each year to operate — about a $1 per flush.

Hume Young, civic properties director, told the works and operations committee Feb. 18, 1979 — also reported by the Free Press — that a survey indicated average daily use of the facility was 187 men and 60 women, 15 to 20 per cent of them bus drivers.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Holy nostalgia, Batman! :laugh:

I remember a few of these and shopping in them (well, my parents did, I just played in those stores).

My favourite defunct stores would be K-Mart and Zellers, but mainly for the cafeterias. Whenever we'd shop, we always stopped off to get food. Not the greatest, really, but always felt like a treat.

---

As to the game, I guess we'll see how well the Jets do. Last Stars game they started pretty flat - if we start out better, we have a good chance.

If not, well let's just say I'll be avoiding the post-game thread :laugh:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Thanks @macmaroon - cool info...

Vilardi may be on the docket for this fight. Lets see.

Gabriel-Vilardi-Jets-2048x1463.jpg

Volare

Penso che un sogno così non ritorni mai più
Mi dipingevo le mani e la faccia di blu
Poi d'improvviso venivo dal vento rapito
E incominciavo a volare nel cielo infinito

Oops (metallic miked up voice) <<start again>>

80797e77-f16a-4278-9b76-31252e4c63de_text.gif

+++++++++++

Volare

I fear that this player does not come back ever again
I painted my face and hands Jet blue,
Then suddenly I was being swept up by the news,
And I began to hope for this fast skating dude!

Volare, oh, oh!
Contare, oh, oh, oh, oh!
On the blue painted ice.
Happy to be in Canada Life.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I remember doing 'boy things' with the Sears catalogue.

Jets will need to come out strong and protect Helle early. He seems to take time to get back into it after this many days rest.

I want Vilardi back!!!

Any news on Ville? I think he should be skating again pretty soon if the injury has healed as hoped.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
2e6dd8de88749f297843dca538a5962a.jpg

Not Arniel, nor the fluffed Bone-line prince
Shall outlive this tasty rhyme;
But Hell Boy shall shine more bright in these contents
Than dwarf Stars besmear'd with sluttish time.
When all-out war shall DeBoer overturn,
And goals shoot out from bruised Apples,
For Nik’s sword and that line’s quick fire shall burn
The living record of Starred memory.
'Gainst death and all-oblivious enmity
Shall our D pace forth; this board’s praise shall still find room
And Aye, the collective Dallatian entity
Witness our game to their ending doom.
So, till the judgment that Jetskind arise,
Live now for thine Jet dog and ketchup’d fries.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I loved BJ's Super Toy Sales on Regent back in the day. Was always bugging my dad to go there to get Garbage Pail Kids cards lol. Recently bought some from Ebay for nostalgia. Wasnt the same. The IGA in sunvalley was also a big hang out in my youth. Couldnt even count how many slurpees we had there. Not many of the old IGA's left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad