GDT: Game 20 | Islanders @ Columbus | 8 PM EST

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Unfortunately, Liam regressed. I think he's better than TFW or Meyer (Corson has the advantage of being a warrior though), there are certain parts of matches he can create moments, but overall he's not it. I think injuries have hampered him and that little time.

It's one example. Pavel Schen. He was a big Russian talent, a player of Salavat Yulayev. But coaches did a big mistake. Because KHL has a rule that a team can only have 20 players on the ice if there are two who are under a certain age, he was on the roster instead of playing in VHL. But either he didn't play, or he only played a few minutes. Now he might not even be an average player.

To Liam. I don't know, maybe a change of scenery or playing in Europe would help him, see Danforth.
He doesn't need to go to Europe, he needs a full season or two of playing top line minutes in Cleveland, but they can't do that because they know he won't make it through waivers.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yeah I also thought about this - maybe Lars/FO are "conservative" because they think their bodies can't handle an 82 game schedule yet? It is Johnson's first season after all, and Chinny got bigger and is going fast. Maybe they try to save them for next season? Dunno how that goes but it could make sense as to why you wouldn't tell that to the media as such. They have all the conditioning data at least...

Do we remember how Sillinger's end of season went last year? Could be a model for conservatism if his level dropped a bit towards the end. And of course - could they think that overplaying Sillinger last year led to this year's slump?
I'm not so sure it's them worrying about their bodies next season as they are worried for their bodies THIS season. KJ has never played more than 60 games in a season. Even as much as KJ played last year, he only played like 62 games.

I don't think people here truly understand how grinding playing 82+ games in a season really is, especially when you factor in the amount of travel these guys do. And then you factor in a 20 year old kid who is still probably not quite fully physically developed yet. And not only the physical impact all that has on your body but the mental aspect of it as well.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not so sure it's them worrying about their bodies next season as they are worried for their bodies THIS season. KJ has never played more than 60 games in a season. Even as much as KJ played last year, he only played like 62 games.

I don't think people here truly understand how grinding playing 82+ games in a season really is, especially when you factor in the amount of travel these guys do. And then you factor in a 20 year old kid who is still probably not quite fully physically developed yet. And not only the physical impact all that has on your body but the mental aspect of it as well.

That point makes a lot of sense to me. I understand why you don't want to play KJ 16+ minutes every game, and I really wouldn't mind if he plays closer to 60 or 70 games.

But I would still have a problem with playing him with weaker linemates. Lars talks about protecting him but it actually makes KJ's game a lot harder when he only gets to play with Sillinger, Roslovic, and AHL plug-ins like TFW. Quality of teammate is a lot more important than quality of competition - given how loose matchups tend to be (you can expect to play 3 or 4 opponent lines each game).

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
That point makes a lot of sense to me. I understand why you don't want to play KJ 16+ minutes every game, and I really wouldn't mind if he plays closer to 60 or 70 games.

But I would still have a problem with playing him with weaker linemates. Lars talks about protecting him but it actually makes KJ's game a lot harder when he only gets to play with Sillinger, Roslovic, and AHL plug-ins like TFW. Quality of teammate is a lot more important than quality of competition - given how loose matchups tend to be (you can expect to play 3 or 4 opponent lines each game).
I think if we were fully healthy, with not just Laine, but Voracek, Texier and Danforth as well, he'd actually have some decent linemates.

However, with the current makeup of the roster... Well yeah, options are extremely limited.

Reactions: LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think if we were fully healthy, with not just Laine, but Voracek, Texier and Danforth as well, he'd actually have some decent linemates.

However, with the current makeup of the roster... Well yeah, options are extremely limited.

Sure but I'd have given KJ + Gaudreau a shot.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad