GDT: Game #2: Sharks @ Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spicy Panger

Jan 17, 2015
It sounds like you want the Blues fans to cheer as if they are about to win the cup for 60 minutes even when playing a game like they did last night. All I am saying is I think for how the team performed, the crowd was great.

It's almost text-book Kool-Aid drinking to be cheering your team as you describe when losing and playing that bad. If it was the Blues last game in STL, or a game 7 or some other kind of elimination game... etc. I would get it. Like your examples. The problem is your examples are a far-cry from the kind of game that was played last night. Those games meant something. This game? Game 2 of the WCF where even if you lose, the series is tied. Why cheer uncontrollably for the trash show that was on the ice last night?

I think the bolded is key. I doubt the games given as examples were even comparable efforts to begin with. If we scored even 1 goal that would have got the crowd back into it. Hey, must just be a St. Louis thing though. :rolleyes:

I can't believe we're even talking about the crowd. Weird thing to focus on after such an utterly lousy performance.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
After some thought, I've realized the players and Hitch were right. The Blues did have another gear. Unfortunately it was granny low in reverse.

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
The one thing that's missing in several of the Blues players is compete. They have the hockey sense and skills. But, often lack the hard to quantify at draft time willingness to "compete". That"s why I believe Tampa wanted Fab's because he's got it. IMHO some of the Blues just make to much money and have a cushy life that they are not willing to turn it up for these important games.

This lack of compete is not all on the players back. Certainly the hockey sense went out the door with some of the stupid penalties by veteran players. The lack of compete has played out way to many times this season. Management has ignored it. Army and Hitch should have gotten this under control along time ago.

This is largely the same Blues team and coach that have failed/under-performed in the postseason over the past few seasons. When other teams ramp up their intensity, the Blues stay flat.

The difference this season is some of our young players have that competitive instinct that really can't be taught. Fabbri, Parayko, Elliott, and Tarasenko have essentially carried the team to this point. We've scraped by because Chicago and Dallas were both flawed teams but now we're up against a deep, skilled team with a high compete level as part of team identity.

No matter how far we go this season, to be a consistent Cup contender we need a new coaching staff and a mini-rebuild to get rid of our "old core" of perennial playoff failures.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
This is largely the same Blues team and coach that have failed/under-performed in the postseason over the past few seasons. When other teams ramp up their intensity, the Blues stay flat.

The difference this season is some of our young players have that competitive instinct that really can't be taught. Fabbri, Parayko, Elliott, and Tarasenko have essentially carried the team to this point. We've scraped by because Chicago and Dallas were both flawed teams but now we're up against a deep, skilled team with a high compete level as part of team identity.

No matter how far we go this season, to be a consistent Cup contender we need a new coaching staff and a mini-rebuild to get rid of our "old core" of perennial playoff failures.

You mean the same core of Backes, Berglund, Steen etc. that have been fantastic thus far in the playoffs? We lost a game to a really good team. Let's at least give them a chance to take the series before we start crucifying them.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
The Game 6 Chicago crowd was louder than any Blues crowd except maybe the end of Game 7. And it visibly had a bigger impact on the players for both teams. The Dallas crowds were average, and so has been St Louis crowds.

I've gone to every home game other than the two in this series so agree to disagree.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
cant believe people are blaming the crowds for that **** show they displayed last night. LMAO you cant make this stuff up

blues fans you are to blame for our team giving no ****s and giving 0 effort. shame on you for spending hundreds of dollars for the privledge of watchin that

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
The crowd wasn't loud enough?

Did you watch what happened?

Lol, because the reason the Blues can't play a full 60 is because their fans aren't loud enough. Crowd was pretty loud in every other playoff game.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
san jose is deeper up front and has a much much better defense ? lol .........pump the brakes .. its a tied series and we have not seen the blues play there A game yet ........
You don't even know what you're arguing, how does a tied series and San Jose being deeper up front and on defense than Dallas even correlate? It doesn't.

The Blues are playing like **** but you guys are absolutely clueless if you can't see that San Jose is one of the best teams in the league this season. Part of the reason the Blues effort looks poor is BECAUSE San Jose is executing their gameplan perfectly and the Blues are frustrated and don't know how to solve it. Do you really think the Blues look bad just because they're not trying hard? :laugh:

We're facing a far better team than the flawed crap Dallas has, it's time to start living in reality. Beating the Kings, Predators and currently outplaying the Blues is nothing to brush off but here we are and some people are doing it. But hey Dallas got a lot of points like Colorado did a couple years ago and then beat the Minnesota Wild, they must be hella good!!!

Last edited:

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
You don't even know what you're arguing, how does a tied series and San Jose being deeper up front and on defense than Dallas even correlate? It doesn't.

The Blues are playing like **** but you guys are absolutely clueless if you can't see that San Jose is one of the best teams in the league this season. Part of the reason the Blues effort looks poor is BECAUSE San Jose is executing their gameplan perfectly and the Blues are frustrated and don't know how to solve it. Do you really think the Blues look bad just because they're not trying hard? :laugh:

We're facing a far better team than the flawed crap Dallas has, it's time to start living in reality. Beating the Kings, Predators and currently outplaying the Blues is nothing to brush off but here we are and some people are doing it. But hey Dallas got a lot of points like Colorado did a couple years ago and then beat the Minnesota Wild, they must be hella good!!!

i took it you meant the sharks are deeper than the blues ... but hey whatever floats your boat ... the blues did not play up to par ...as i said earlier the sharks are not world beaters by any means .........

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
No need to respond like jack holes. I never said I blamed the crowd for the team's poor performance. I said that I wished the Blues crowd had more effect on the team, and pulled them out of those kinds of funks. I should know better than to voice an opinion on here, since the general tenor of the forums these days is to nitpick people over one word, etc.

I'm going on hiatus for a couple days due to travel, but I won't miss the discussion from the new self appointed forum regulators. If you anonymized the posts, there are a couple of you here that I swear would start emphatically arguing with your own previous posts.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
No need to respond like jack holes. I never said I blamed the crowd for the team's poor performance. I said that I wished the Blues crowd had more effect on the team, and pulled them out of those kinds of funks. I should know better than to voice an opinion on here, since the general tenor of the forums these days is to nitpick people over one word, etc.

I'm going on hiatus for a couple days due to travel, but I won't miss the discussion from the new self appointed forum regulators. If you anonymized the posts, there are a couple of you here that I swear would start emphatically arguing with your own previous posts.

This happens every post season. There are people posting in the main forum that I've never heard of before.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Hitchcock needs to dump this stupid "conservative" approach because it's killing us. We have got to be aggressive on the forecheck. Letting SJ get speed built up exiting the defensive zone is going to kill us.

Hitch has got to tilt the ice towards the SJ zone. We need our F1 forcheckers with an f2 support. And bring the D man. Isn't that "reckless"? :popcorn:

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

Don't let it get to you brother, I understand where you're coming from as there is a poster or two on here that when they really start laying it on pisses me off to no end. You're one of this boards better posters, don't let the petty ******** get to you, and please don't go away for good. The place wouldn't be the same without your contributions, and I don't think the value of this board can take another P9's/Multimoodia i.e. 2MM exodus.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
i took it you meant the sharks are deeper than the blues ... but hey whatever floats your boat ... the blues did not play up to par ...as i said earlier the sharks are not world beaters by any means .........

Then neither are the Blues.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
What does that have to do with the crowds in Chicago or Dallas?

I'm just saying that it's kind of hard to gauge how loud the crowd really is from TV. Audio levels can vary from game to game. I was just stating that games that I've went to were much louder than when I went back and watched them on TV during their re-broadcast. For instance Game 1 vs Chi may have been louder than G2 in person but on TV G2 may have been louder than G1. Not trying to argue about, was just making a comment.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
no * * * * sherlock ... i think we all know that

You're continually acting like the Sharks are some pushover and that the Blues are a superior team to them, which is clearly not true. The Blues aren't world beaters themselves, so why does it shock you so much that we're struggling against them?

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Part of the reason the Blues effort looks poor is BECAUSE San Jose is executing their gameplan perfectly and the Blues are frustrated and don't know how to solve it. Do you really think the Blues look bad just because they're not trying hard? :laugh:

I have been vascillating on this also... good teams can make you look slow, sloppy, whatever, but there were many cases where I saw the Blues coast and watch a Sharks player beat them to an open puck (Similarly to the MN round 1 last year). I would agree with you 100% if I felt the Blues were skating and getting beat, but it seemed that they did not have any jump to the open pucks even in period 1 on fresh legs.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007

No, you came out and said the crowd in Chicago was superior to the crowds at the Scott..which isn't accurate. It's just an opinion, which is like a butthole..

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Thank you. It's amazing how quick people in St. Louis are to jump to the "lack of effort" conclusion. It's like they believe that the only thing keeping them from walking to a cup is actually showing up.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
You're continually acting like the Sharks are some pushover and that the Blues are a superior team to them, which is clearly not true. The Blues aren't world beaters themselves, so why does it shock you so much that we're struggling against them?

when did i say the blues are the better team ? ...we might be deeper but the blues are not playing like they did the first 2 rounds ...sure san jose is playing the system that got them here.... the blues have not yet ... i never said san jose is inferior to st.louis
good god ..go beat your drum up some one elses * * *.....

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Wow, one bad game and the forum consumes itself with vitriol and finger pointing and general jackholishness. bad games happen, even in the playoffs. relax and hope that the Blues respond with a better effort next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad