Pre-Game Talk: Game 2 of the Toronto Maple Leafs vs Tampa Bay Lightning series

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I expect Mitch and Auston to play incredible again tomorrow… if only Jack could get another shutout.

You know… for the main boards

Reactions: willmma

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
anyone see Jon Coopers comments?
“I’m not so sure the Maple Leafs had to play particularly well to beat us… We probably gave them a bit of a freebie”
I guess if you want to call getting out played in every aspect of the game a freebie.... seems kinda like he's downplaying how much we outplayed them doesnt it?

I wouldn't read too much into it - he's trying to fire a grenade into his room. That's his way of saying his guys "sucked", and it was pretty consistent with most of the expressions he was giving off whenever the camera panned to him during the broadcast.

I take it more as him sending a message to his team, and trying to speak to his group, rather than any sort of insult or disrespect towards the Leafs.

WIth that being said: bulletin board material for Keefe
Post automatically merged:

The next game you play, that one is always the hardest.

Just win the game, play hard again, and take a 2-0 lead into Tampa... then try for a split while there... Game One, that was the Leafs at their best, and with that type of play, they can play with anyone.

Yep.

They are more than capable of going into Tampa and getting a split - game 2 determines whether that split means you come home with a chance to close the series, or tied.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
They can be better and still be terrible.

I like Keefe saying he wants his team to be even better. That would be something to see.
I liked Reilly today as well, he’s so mature now, what a leader.
Post automatically merged:

The winds of shit are upon us. If we can survive the shit winds, we might have a chance.
She going to be a shitnado Randy.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Don't look at me, I pulled out

there-was-significant-shrinkage.jpg

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
anyone see Jon Coopers comments?
“I’m not so sure the Maple Leafs had to play particularly well to beat us… We probably gave them a bit of a freebie”
I guess if you want to call getting out played in every aspect of the game a freebie.... seems kinda like he's downplaying how much we outplayed them doesnt it?
f*** him. I really hope tomorrows game is even worse for them!

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
f*** him. I really hope tomorrows game is even worse for them!

"I didn't feel like Toronto played better than they did in game 1. We gave them the game again. If they do find their game though let's face it - we are in serious trouble. We need to either play really good or play so terrible so as to give them no credit whatsoever."

Reactions: bax and Morbo

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Everybody keeps saying “Tampa will be better”, which I understand. They didn’t play a great game. But how much of that was having their weaknesses laid bare by a younger, faster, hungrier team?

What if Tampa’s just running on fumes?

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Everybody keeps saying “Tampa will be better”, which I understand. They didn’t play a great game. But how much of that was having their weaknesses laid bare by a younger, faster, hungrier team?

It's possible, and likely part of the equation. But this is the B2B cup champs, you give them the benefit of the doubt as they've earned it

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
5th string

Campbell
Mrazek
Hutch
Woll
Kallgren.
6th string

Campbell
Mrazek
Hutch
Woll
Sateri (claimed on waivers)
Kallgren

Hutch is 5th string at best. Woll and Kallgren passed him by Christmas, and he only played when those two were either hurt or playing with the Leafs (which unfortunately meant he was playing all of the time).

Who knows where Sateri was going to fit in. Maybe above Kallgren, but I'd rather give the younger guy a chance. Sateri was nothing more than a Hutton-like fill-in so we wouldn't need to count on ECHLers playing in the AHL (which ultimately could have been enough to keep the Marlies out of the playoffs this year).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If they’re running on fumes it’ll be a quick series.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They can be better and still be terrible.

I like Keefe saying he wants his team to be even better. That would be something to see.
They definitely need to cut down on the penalties.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Is it Game 2 yet, because if I hear “Tampa will be better” obviousness one more time my head may explode.
Amen. I hope the Leafs lay the boots to them again..I think Cooper seriously discredited the Leafs in his media availability. Saying it was a freebie. It's fine to expect more from your squad, but the Leafs played a really complete game all the way through. To suggest we didn't earn it and it was essentially handed to us is ridiculous. Another effort like game 1, and we win game 2 as well.

Reactions: DarkKnight

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Amen. I hope the Leafs lay the boots to them again..I think Cooper seriously discredited the Leafs in his media availability. Saying it was a freebie. It's fine to expect more from your squad, but the Leafs played a really complete game all the way through. To suggest we didn't earn it and it was essentially handed to us is ridiculous. Another effort like game 1, and we win game 2 as well.
It's funny. This is what I heard.

"I'm supposedly one of the best coaches in the world but I could not get my team to show up on time. My roster of seasoned Vets were not smart enough to understand the importance of this game so mailed it in. We are so arrogant and overconfident we can just throw games away because that's how we roll. Clearly I have lost this room and need to be replaced".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad