GDT: Game 2: Islanders @ Hurricanes, 7pm

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So the Isle beat writer @ the Athletic writes a story on how sad it was the game was decided by a bad non call. Glosses over the TT injury. Quotes many players about how they have to play physical, wear teams down with hits, etc. And this:

Matt Martin, who had six of the Islanders’ hits in Game 2, helped to set a physical tone late in the first when he leveled Staal from behind and then promptly sat on top of him, shaking up the Hurricanes captain. That led to a scrum in front of the net involving just about everyone else on the ice.

Buh, buh, buh the missed call!

Comments about what you would expect although there are a few rational folks blaming loss on poor Sorokin play.
Saw that article. Total clown show that was written to speak to the Isles fanbase echo chamber right now

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
So the Isle beat writer @ the Athletic writes a story on how sad it was the game was decided by a bad non call. Glosses over the TT injury. Quotes many players about how they have to play physical, wear teams down with hits, etc. And this:

Matt Martin, who had six of the Islanders’ hits in Game 2, helped to set a physical tone late in the first when he leveled Staal from behind and then promptly sat on top of him, shaking up the Hurricanes captain. That led to a scrum in front of the net involving just about everyone else on the ice.

Martin spoke on Wednesday morning about how constantly finishing checks on the opponent can have a net positive effect as things move along. “If you’re constantly putting the puck in deep and they have to keep going to get it and worry about getting hit in the process of doing that and having to make plays, not only does it take a toll on their energy and their body, kind of I think their mind is going to circle and have an impact on them making plays,” he said.

Buh, buh, buh the missed call!

Comments about what you would expect although there are a few rational folks blaming loss on poor Sorokin play.
I legit thought this was a made-up quote it was so bad. I actually even went to the Athletic to make sure. I mean, Jesus, set a physical tone with a dirty ass play and almost injuring a guy, but wah wah a " missed" call where our own guy caused it? Really bad.

As for the lines, I think after the Svech injury, our worst period of time was when Aho and Necas were together. I have zero interest in putting them back together. Just need to hope they can carry their lines enough apart.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Meh I'm not even complaining, just making the observation. The levels to which the injury bug has hit us this year is a bit unprecedented, and its really come to a head since the deadline. Maybe its justification for the inaction, but to some extent looking back at the 'we like our group', there does seem to be some kind of karmic retribution going on right now that is going "screw you in particular" to us with these injuries

Either way, yeah we'll probably move on (though, not guaranteed),
Very odd time to flex that opinion, they haven't even lost a playoff game yet

Reactions: cptjeff and zman77

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
having pool party slotted on a scoring line and being the team's only forward acquired at the deadline is by definition the most non-sensical move ever.

thanks for playing
Sure didn't win us the TDL. BTW whats the trophy for winning the TDL look like? From what I understand Ottawa won the off season and was pretty good at the TDL. Tell me again what their playoff series stands at now!

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The trade market moved abnormally early this year. In a normal deadline environment, missing out on a Meier would allow them to pivot to other options, with the supply glut hopefully driving down the price on the 2nd tier guys on deadline day itself. We’ll see if this is a one off or the new normal next year.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Correct non call. Don't lift the other guy's stick into your own face.
I don’t know the rules well enough to comment on that. I did see someone do a whole thread on how (basically) it didn’t matter.

Boy this series has already turned some level headed people (and media) into massive homers lol. Spades are no longer spades!

Sure didn't win us the TDL. BTW whats the trophy for winning the TDL look like? From what I understand Ottawa won the off season and was pretty good at the TDL. Tell me again what their playoff series stands at now!
They haven’t lost a game, same as Canes.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I don’t know the rules well enough to comment on that. I did see someone do a whole thread on how (basically) it didn’t matter.

Boy this series has already turned some level headed people (and media) into massive homers lol. Spades are no longer spades!

They haven’t lost a game, same as Canes.
Thats a good point, albeit for very different reasons

Edit to add. I didnt mean to pick on your Sens, they were just the first team that came to mind that spent assets in both the offseason and at the TDL

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I presume this is a reference to a thread on the main board that I do not give a shit about.
tommy-boy-chris-farley.gif

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
if only it were that easy to acquire scoring forwards. but we'll ignore your exact example was already gone before we were out of another deal which had the assets we needed for a Tarasenko deal.
I really don’t get the hand wringing about not making a big move at the deadline. Even if we had acquired Meier, it doesn’t guarantee a cup.

The devils picked up Meier and Lazar. The rags got Tarasenko, Kane, and Motte. One of those teams is going to be golfing in a week. Nothing is written.

Man, the number of people in those threads that don't seem to grasp that a linesman can't call a minor high stick is annoying.
But we’re the yokels who are new to hockey and don’t know the ins and outs of the game :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Man, the number of people in those threads that don't seem to grasp that a linesman can't call a minor high stick is annoying.
I thought that was one of the few calls they actually can make. But it doesn't matter, the guy literally sticklifted Martinook's stick into his own damn face. Not only was it the correct non-call, it was f***ing karmic considering the non-call that took Turbo out for the series, the Martin hit from behind that was called interference so the cowards wouldn't have to file the needed paperwork for a game misconduct call, and a bunch of other dirty shit they were getting away with all game.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Yeah that's about right.

Put Poolparty and MacEachern out there for the explicit purpose of running players all night in Games 3 and 4. Fight this fire with fire. Chop Barzal's hands every time he has the puck. Swing hard, the harder the better. Afterall, it happens on the routine, they shouldn't complain, right?

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919

Yeah that's about right.

Put Poolparty and MacEachern out there for the explicit purpose of running players all night in Games 3 and 4. Fight this fire with fire. Chop Barzal's hands every time he has the puck. Swing hard, the harder the better. Afterall, it happens on the routine, they shouldn't complain, right?

All right, f*** it. Sweep these clowns.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Ottawa hasn't lost in this season's playoffs

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Yeah that's about right.

Burns might kill Pageau. He chopped Burns ankle after a whistle and it looked like he was about to rip his head off. Might just be his face though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad