Pre-Game Talk: Game 2 - Edmonton at Vancouver: Looking for a rebound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
The only message that sends is that you don’t trust your starting tender to rebound from a poor game, when he just showed you that he could do that last series.
Agree we're married to skinner at this point. But he needs to be on a short leash. If Boston and Florida can make a goalie change in a game we should be able to as well.

AND if pickard plays well you now need to put him in the equation for starting game three.

Let's just hope it doesn't come to that and the team wins handily.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Agree we're married to skinner at this point. But he needs to be on a short leash. If Boston and Florida can make a goalie change in a game we should be able to as well.

AND if pickard plays well you now need to put him in the equation for starting game three.

Let's just hope it doesn't come to that and the team wins handily.
You can add Vancouver, LA and Carolina who have switched things up. It’s not like Skinner is Hasek or something, a change might just be what the doctor ordered.

Reactions: Pavel10

Oct 15, 2017
I will give the Oilers a bit of grace. They are the only team that has to play a trap for the entire first round, and then re adjust to pace after a long break. Every year the 1st game of the second round is always very very odd. Flames was a wild shoot out, VGK Drai had a monster game and they still lost and this game.

All that matter is the response, and this year they can't have another game 5 VGK 2 min. They burned that with this loss.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
I suspect this series to be close to over if they don't play well in game 2. They don't necessarily need to win (although they should), but they have to at least be able to dominate large stretches of the game or outshoot Vancoucer. Heading back to Edmonton, there needs to be the feeling that they can at least tie it at home, and you won't feel this way if game 2 is a repetition of period 2 and 3 of game 1.

Going down 0:2 with Demko potentially coming back for game 4 and Draisaitl playing injured is not what will set you in a good mood going home to Edmonton.

Losing game 1 this way sucks even more once you realize that game 2 could already be a huge blow to the morale of this group.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
He never tweets anything positive about the Oilers. POS engagement farming knowing negativity rules the twitter roost. Surprised he hasn’t paid for the blue check mark
I’m sure he’s submitted the invoice on his expense account numerous times.

• Haha
Reactions: frag2

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
Looking at the teams remaining and watching the games every night Rangers/Canes, Panthers/Bruins, Stars/Avs, and our series. I think its safe to say the Oil and Nucks are the weakest teams remaining by a decent margin. I think we win still, hobbled Drai or not. But does it really matter? I guess anything can happen. Im not overly optimistic we can beat any of the other teams remaining though.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Gagner...if there was ever a point to fulfill your destiny and legacy as an oiler....it's now.
Let's see gagner awaken the inner 8 point beast.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

Foegele is another play killer. Holloway has earned that spot

Carrick should be in over Ryan. He has size.
Stetcher should be in over Ceci. He doesn’t suck.
I hope Henrique is a fast healer. He is needed.

Would be so Oilers to trade for these assets and not use any of them due to choice - injury.

This coaching staff wouldn’t play a healthy Stetcher over an injured Ceci. I have no idea what the coaching staff sees.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Spent a 1st+ on 2 guys for the playoffs and one’s injured (and only okay) and the other isn’t dressed.

Nurse and Ceci shit the bed and Stecher won’t even sniff play time.

This orgs love for Nurse and Ceci is going to be its downfall.
Why is Stetcher not even in the line rushes?

Skinner didnt have a very good 3rd period but he was still better than the goalie at the other end.
The Oilers had a measly 3 shots on goal in the last 2 periods.
They didnt even apply minimal pressure on a goalie that was brutal all game.
That approach isnt going to win anything.
That’s their game now.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
You think the situation is worse if Henrique is out and Drai is limping around and you pull Gagner and maybe Erne in? Carrick should already be in to move Ryan out for size. I’m not trying to be negative but Drai out is a huge hole that they don’t fill or even have a plug to fill the hole partly (and I used that word purposely).

Drai on one leg 2 years ago was better than many players against Calgary . I’d take my chances.
I do if he’s not ready to go, barely plays, aggravates and he’s out for game 3. That’s my worry, then you are sewering 2 games.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Here are my keys to the game in no particular order (that we have control over, won't mention goaltending):

1) Shelter Nurse and Ceci by eliminating them from participating in defensive zone draws whenever possible, get them any matchup other than the Nuck third line (any line that isn't as heavy on the forecheck). No more than about 15 minutes of ice is necessary.

2) Ban stretch passes, period.

3) Ban defensemen from passing when their feet aren't moving, period.

4) If Drai is hobbled, play him on Connor's left wing, move Janmark back to the 4th line, play Henrique at 2C if available, Nuge if not

5) Shoot the f***ing puck at all opportunities

6) Get the puck the f*** off the wall in the D zone. Rimmed pucks around the wall should result in a few shifts off at best, benching at worst.

7) If you have no option, punt the f***ing puck or eat the puck. Do not swing it around the wall, or stand on the wall looking to make a pass.

8) Get f***ing working

We basically did almost all of these things in the LA series, but I guess a week off caused us to go completely stupid again. These aren't complicated fixes, they just need to play like actual professionals.
For point 1. They were sheltered. They were played as bottom pairing mainly going up against the Canuck’s 3rd and 4th lines. It was the 3rd line that decimated them. Outchanced 12-1 when they were on the ice. So, so bad

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What I don't get about the negativity is the comparison to opposition. Look at how Colorado has been shelled tonight. Are they screwed? Both Boston and Florida have traded looking awful. Are they both terrible? Or did they just have a bad game? Isn't that possible for us too, and even likely?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Didn’t have my glasses on and thought this was a clip of Boeser from last nights game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He shouldn’t be trusted, 4 goals were garbage.
Exactly. What other contending team would trust Stuart Skinner in net as starting goalie when he's been lit up for 4 or more goals in the majority of his playoff starts? To be exact thats 10/18 starts. He's been pulled in 4 of them. Would be more but KK doesn't believe in pulling goalies till it gets to 6....

Jebus christ. Why is this whole boatload every postseason about trusting Fred Skinner? We have generational talents riding a relative dope in net in the most important position in hockey. I'm supposed to feel good that on the 5th goal Skinner did a Homer Simpson doh once again. Man how many more times?

Oh, look the Rangers advancing (practically) because their goalies stopped 50some shots again. Made it look routine. its a good day here if we get 25 stops by Skinner and anything near .900.

So f***ing tired of our goalie derailing us.

What I don't get about the negativity is the comparison to opposition. Look at how Colorado has been shelled tonight. Are they screwed? Both Boston and Florida have traded looking awful. Are they both terrible? Or did they just have a bad game? Isn't that possible for us too, and even likely?
We're playing Vancouver. Colorado are playing the first place club in the Conference who are miles better than the Canucks. Vancouver is the easiest out left in the playoffs, a team even Nashville had on the ropes.

Plus Colorado won a cup and have the know how and already have their Dallas split. They already got it. Different situation entirely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad