GDT: Game 2: CBJ vs Detroit | 7:30pm EST NBC/TSN| "Home Opener" Edition

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I'm shocked there are no observations on the new ice cleaning pattern utilized by the ice crew!

I like it. Nice and quick. Wonder if this is due to a reduced time to get it done or just an attempt to be more efficient.

I noticed the new ice cleaning pattern. You can tell even the ice cleaners need that preseason because they started out really bad. There was a nice snow buildup along the corner where the exit is for them the entire first two periods until the guy, I assume the boss or "veteran" had to show the girls that they need to push the ice out and not just leave it sit at the edge because the door pushes it back on the ice.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
They introduced a "Social Suite" this year. Wonder if it has wifi within its confines. Could be a step towards wi-fi in the rest of the arena if so.

it does have wifi...

I imagine you're both referring to this.

It's a cool idea though, really like it and hope to try it out sometime. I'd love to have wifi in the seats I own though. :)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
One thing I would like to see in NWA next season (if it's feasible)....

Free Wifi. The networks were overloaded by the 1st intermission. Somewhat frustrating.

Or at the very least, PSL holders get access to a password-protected WiFi account

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Or at the very least, PSL holders get access to a password-protected WiFi account

Would be sweet.

Right now I'd settle for cellphone reception. I have Verizon and get nothing. Makes me wonder how good the reception is for Washington fans in the Verizon Center.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
7: I don't care what Shrek, I mean Todd Richards has to say. They've also always told us Nash was a great leader, blah blah blah, now the players come out with comments like removing the country club atmosphere, creating the offense the right way etc. If Todd Richards really believes Dubinsky is playing well, then he needs his eyes corrected.

The great manager Walter Alston used to make a point of never criticizing a player in public or to the media; if someone needed a fire lit under their ass, he'd praise the guy in public and then take the criticism behind closed doors. He wouldn't show up players in the dugout, wouldn't criticize players in front of their teammates, and wouldn't tolerate Leo Durocher's tantrums (when Durocher was an assistant). This was all very uncommon at the time, and had been uncommon for 30 years.

But then, there's a reason why he was so well-respected by his players. And there's a reason why Alston is a Hall of Fame manager and so many others fell well short.

Paisano*

I'm shocked there are no observations on the new ice cleaning pattern utilized by the ice crew!

I like it. Nice and quick. Wonder if this is due to a reduced time to get it done or just an attempt to be more efficient.

Was too busy admiring the "cleaners" to notice what kind of pattern they were doing!

Paisano*

Would be sweet.

Right now I'd settle for cellphone reception. I have Verizon and get nothing. Makes me wonder how good the reception is for Washington fans in the Verizon Center.

Hmmm.. I have Verizon and it works great, maybe it's your phone..

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I can now confirm 3-goal chili from Bob Evans is better than 3-goal chili from Wendy's.

That's saying something as Rockin' Bob's has been consistently going down the crapper over the last few years. It almost ranks down there with places like Friday's now.

Oh and thanks Dallas for doing what we couldn't. Finishing off Detroit.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Doug, it might be easier to see the logic of your rants if you'd leave out the insulting language.

For example, however valid you may believe your criticisms are about Todd Richards, you're losing a lot of folks when you can't focus on hockey and instead resort to name-calling.

I dunno; he kind of lost me after the "RJ blew one play in 2008 and I've hated him ever since" comment. I mean, if that's your approach to player analysis, rational thinking and objective observation have pretty much already been thrown out the window.

bizzz*

The Jackets have 3 more points than the Kings and Rangers combined. Brassard has more points than Mike Richards and Jeff Carter combined. But some people already make global generalisations.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yes, let's all jump on the trade/Amnesty Umberger campaign after 2 games in which he played no games for months. Move over Aaron Johnson, Looks like we found our new whipping boy!!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Yes, let's all jump on the trade/Amnesty Umberger campaign after 2 games in which he played no games for months. Move over Aaron Johnson, Looks like we found our new whipping boy!!

If you take away the last 9 from last year, it is not all that hard to see why most fans are not real happy with our first liner.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Espen makes the key point. RJ was awful for 90% of last year, too. His performance out of the gate this year should not be taken in isolation. And his "doggin it" performance of last year was right on the heels of his new contract. Fact is, since he got his money, RJ has not been the same player he was when he was hungry for a big extension. That does not bode well for his performance in the new "system". People have good reason to be concerned when they see the continuation of the half hearted effort he showed most of last year.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't know... Chilli was a more interesting conversation. The first I saw of a buyout was two posts ago, but does anyone really think ownership is going to lay out that kind of cash for a player to get a contract somewhere else?

No, we're either keeping him or trading him. No sense killing that cow over and over. While I agree he hasn't been great or even all that good, I've seen worse.... Let's talk again at game 24.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I have no problem with Umberger when he is played where he belongs. Let's face it, we have a team with no true first line, so everyone plays monkey move up.

I think with Davidson in charge of the team, we will eventually see a team with quite a few new faces. Who leaves in that process is any one's guess.

Natty0415

Jan 23, 2013
Side note. Did anyone notice after the game when they were giving away the game jersey someone wearing a Gretzsky jersey? I swear it was a CBJ 3rd with gretzky name and number but I'm hoping I was wrong and it was a black kings jersey instead.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Side note. Did anyone notice after the game when they were giving away the game jersey someone wearing a Gretzsky jersey? I swear it was a CBJ 3rd with gretzky name and number but I'm hoping I was wrong and it was a black kings jersey instead.

I did too! Completely forgot about it till you mentioned it.

Guy should be turned away from the arena if he ever wears that thing again.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I dunno; he kind of lost me after the "RJ blew one play in 2008 and I've hated him ever since" comment. I mean, if that's your approach to player analysis, rational thinking and objective observation have pretty much already been thrown out the window.

But he's from Ohio State, that's such a better reason to ever consider this guy a decent player. He sucks, lets face it. The failed clearing was just the start.

Yes I realize that Ohio State isn't the reason people solely thought he was good at one time, nor was it ever actually a reason.

I say trade Umberger for a bag of pucks, that's all he's worth since 2008 NJD game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad