GDT: GAME 18: Devils @ Ducks -- 7PM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
There are things not to like too. I'm not a fan of our defense right now(the pairings, mostly). Goaltending has been less than consistent. The depth below the top six is lacking. Right now, this team is not a contender. They're a playoff team, that does very little damage and gets bounced.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
There are things not to like too. I'm not a fan of our defense right now(the pairings, mostly). Goaltending has been less than consistent. The depth below the top six is lacking. Right now, this team is not a contender. They're a playoff team, that does very little damage and gets bounced.

Ducks hockey

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I somewhat agree about the defense, how would you change the pairings?

I really wish we didn't have Bieksa and Stoner on the roster. I like having one of the two (I prefer Stoner) in the lineup on the third pairing but playing both really screws with the balance of the pairings.

Last edited:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Only caught extended highlights for the game, but I'm sure I spied Bieksa falling onto of his goaltender for what feels like the 500th time this season already.

Kesler continues to be immense, he's honestly been one of the best forwards in the NHL this season - probably the best he's ever played in a Ducks jersey too IMO.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Only caught extended highlights for the game, but I'm sure I spied Bieksa falling onto of his goaltender for what feels like the 500th time this season already.

Kesler continues to be immense, he's honestly been one of the best forwards in the NHL this season - probably the best he's ever played in a Ducks jersey too IMO.

But Kesler is overpaid and declining, no other team would want him for free.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Disagree they're not a contender. One maybe two shrewd moves by the Gm at the deadline and they'll basically have as good a shot as anyone

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Disagree they're not a contender. One maybe two shrewd moves by the Gm at the deadline and they'll basically have as good a shot as anyone

I'm talking about the team, as is, right this second. I'm not banking on a diamond in the rough type of move. This team is not a contender. Certainly not the way they are playing right now.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I somewhat agree about the defense, how would you change the pairings?

I really wish we didn't have Bieksa and Stoner on the roster. I like having one of the two (I prefer Stoner) in the lineup on the third pairing but playing both really screws with the balance of the pairings.

I really don't like that we have Bieksa and Stoner(or Holzer) as a 3rd pairing, and I don't like the Fowler-Vatanen pairing.

Both pairings seem set up to get stuck in their own end, and for whatever reason I don't think Fowler and Vatanen, despite how well they move the puck individually, has translated into a pairing that moves the puck well from their own end.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I really don't like that we have Bieksa and Stoner(or Holzer) as a 3rd pairing, and I don't like the Fowler-Vatanen pairing.

Both pairings seem set up to get stuck in their own end, and for whatever reason I don't think Fowler and Vatanen, despite how well they move the puck individually, has translated into a pairing that moves the puck well from their own end.

I agree. I would like to switch Vatanen and Manson to see if that helps balance the top 4 a bit better. I would also love to only see one of Bieksa/Stoner in the lineup and have Theodore or Montour come up and play on the third pairing.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I agree. I would like to switch Vatanen and Manson to see if that helps balance the top 4 a bit better. I would also love to only see one of Bieksa/Stoner in the lineup and have Theodore or Montour come up and play on the third pairing.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. We need better balance. We saw Lindholm and Vatanen together for a short time last season, so I'd give that a shot again. See if they can maintain it over a longer period. Fowler and Manson made a good pairing, so why not keep that going?

Somehow, I feel like Bieksa has gotten even worse, and in a lesser role too. Ugh. Stoner is Stoner. If we could bring up Theodore, or give Montour a look, albeit in a sheltered role, I'd be all over that. Neither one of them is ready for a true NHL role, in my opinion, but I think with the top 4 we have(if that switch between Vatanen and Manson worked the way we hope) we could lean on the top 4, and be able to put Montour, or Theodore, into a good situation.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
If for whatever reason, they don't want to bring up theodore or montour.
I'd like to see 8 D pairings.

Hampus-Manson (hardest minutes) (24 minutes)
Fowler-Vats (12 minutes)
Fowler-Bieksa (12 minutes)
Stoner-Vats (12 minutes)

Limits Bieksa and stoner without having them paired together. But no one ever uses 8 pairs.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm talking about the team, as is, right this second. I'm not banking on a diamond in the rough type of move. This team is not a contender. Certainly not the way they are playing right now.

But Bob is. It's his M.O.

We can all hope the right moves get made, but considering they never are even when we are below the cap, it would seem totally illogical that it would happen this year. Hell, we don't currently have cap room to bring Thompson back from LTIR, let alone make a move for someone who who be a solid contributor. At least not without giving up Fowler/Vatanen. But, given that expansion is coming this summer, maybe trading one of Sami/Cam isn't out of the question if it is done to secure a legit top 6 F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad