Half-Assed GDT: Game 18: Blues @ Yotes

BluesHockeyGuy

Oct 29, 2023

Vrana scratched again.

Unbelievable.

I guess he and coach Berube aren't a good fit what a shame, had high expectations for him this year.

It seems Berube and coaching staff wants another hard working checking forward not a playmaking or scoring forward?

I'm not sure what Berube wants from him, he hasn't been getting much ice time and his defence isn't really that bad he backchecks hard when he needs to and saved a couple of goals in a couple games past, assume he wants him running around all over the ice like a chicken with his head cut off and leaving his position just to show Berube that he is willing to work hard?

I guess he won't be around much longer what a shame, when he does get traded hopefully they will be put him on a line with other skilled playmakers so he can score 30 or 40 goals.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Ya I’m not a fan of how they deployed Vrana either, I still want to see how he would look with Buch and Thomas. Buch can play he’s preferred side of right wing and you’ve got your best passer with your best shooter.

Will say though Neighbors has been playing well and deserves an opportunity.

Reactions: BluesHockeyGuy

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Go Blues. Seem to have trouble with Arizona. Could really use a Binnington shutout for fantasy hockey this week…

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Unbelievable.

I guess he and coach Berube aren't a good fit what a shame, had high expectations for him this year.

It seems Berube and coaching staff wants another hard working checking forward not a playmaking or scoring forward?

I'm not sure what Berube wants from him, he hasn't been getting much ice time and his defence isn't really that bad he backchecks hard when he needs to and saved a couple of goals in a couple games past, assume he wants him running around all over the ice like a chicken with his head cut off and leaving his position just to show Berube that he is willing to work hard?

I guess he won't be around much longer what a shame, when he does get traded hopefully they will be put him on a line with other skilled playmakers so he can score 30 or 40 goals.
This.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Why do folks assume that Berube is being unreasonable towards Vrana? Look at their histories- Berube has never had another “high end player” that was consistently in his doghouse and getting benched, while Vrana has worn out his welcome in 2 prior stops. Last year when everyone was down on Kyrou, how many times was he a healthy scratch? Look at Varna’s average ice time over his career; he has never been a guy that a team couid rely upon. I’m not saying Chief is infallible, but seems to me he has earned benefit of doubt much more than Vrana has.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Why do folks assume that Berube is being unreasonable towards Vrana? Look at their histories- Berube has never had another “high end player” that was consistently in his doghouse and getting benched, while Vrana has worn out his welcome in 2 prior stops. Last year when everyone was down on Kyrou, how many times was he a healthy scratch? Look at Varna’s average ice time over his career; he has never been a guy that a team couid rely upon. I’m not saying Chief is infallible, but seems to me he has earned benefit of doubt much more than Vrana has.

Regardless if you agree with Berube or not, he’s hurting the organization by not trying to inflate Varna’s numbers. Berube just wants to win games. I fail to see how Vrana getting benched is an overall improvement but whatever.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Regardless if you agree with Berube or not, he’s hurting the organization by not trying to inflate Varna’s numbers. Berube just wants to win games. I fail to see how Vrana getting benched is an overall improvement but whatever.
He’s trying to make him a better player, which should help organization win in short run and return more in trade for him when he is dealt. Unless we think other teams can’t watch us play and only look at basic stats so they don’t realize how much of a dog he is.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
He’s trying to make him a better player, which should help organization win in short run and return more in trade for him when he is dealt. Unless we think other teams can’t watch us play and only look at basic stats so they don’t realize how much of a dog he is.

hopefully

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So you’re saying Berube is doing his job?

Come on man, Berube isn’t the GM. He doesn’t give a f*** what kind of draft pick we get for Vrana. He wants to make the playoffs.

You as a fan can have a different point of view but that’s what Berube’s job is.

Reactions: Fez Whatley

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

I think that's the point. Look at how bad Kyrou was and still never got benched. How the f*** is Vrana doing shit to get benched after we saw What Kyrou did last year and didn't get benched? That leaves me to believe this is a personal issue between Berube and Vrana and that's some bull f***ing shit IMO. Wont try all possible combinations that fans can easily see would be best on the PP because he doesn't like someone?

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I think that's the point. Look at how bad Kyrou was and still never got benched. How the f*** is Vrana doing shit to get benched after we saw What Kyrou did last year and didn't get benched? That leaves me to believe this is a personal issue between Berube and Vrana and that's some bull f***ing shit IMO. Wont try all possible combinations that fans can easily see would be best on the PP because he doesn't like someone?
Or Vrana hasn't brought his lunch pail. Kyrou's issues haven't been effort. They've been poor execution on the D side, blown assignments, etc. Mental stuff.

Reactions: Blueston

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Kapanen is a really solid player. I’d we can’t get a 2nd for him, id look to extend him if the price is right.

Reactions: Xerloris

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Or Vrana hasn't brought his lunch pail. Kyrou's issues haven't been effort. They've been poor execution on the D side, blown assignments, etc. Mental stuff.

How can you say that his issues last year weren't effort? We watched many times how he would coast while "back checking" . That is 100% effort.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
So you’re saying Berube is doing his job?

Come on man, Berube isn’t the GM. He doesn’t give a f*** what kind of draft pick we get for Vrana. He wants to make the playoffs.

You as a fan can have a different point of view but that’s what Berube’s job is.

That’s what I said

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
That’s what I said
It’s not, since you said he’s hurting the organization. If he wins games he is helping the organization since that is what he is there to do, regardless of what any fan thinks about a rebuild or retool.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Hard to believe with a huge city like Phoenix, they have to play in that arena.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I wish Toropchenko had better puck skills. He’s like the forward version of Mikkola.

• Haha
Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
How can you say that his issues last year weren't effort? We watched many times how he would coast while "back checking" . That is 100% effort.
I’m not going to excuse Kyrou when he makes Hal hearted effort, but it’s not like Berube didn’t call him out. He did. But it never got to scratchings. Think how much worse Berube apparently feels vrana is (in effort and attitude) for him to keep benching him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad