GDT: Game 16 - Buffalo Sabres @ Winnipeg Jets - Friday, November 17th, 2023 - 7:00pm CST - TSN3 - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com

The Winnipeg Jets take on the Buffalo Sabres tonight at 7:00pm at Canada Life Centre on Pride Night. The Jets beat the New Jersey Devils 6-3 in their last game and are now 8-5-2. The Sabres recently lost 5-2 against the Boston Bruins and are now 7-8-1 on the season. Winnipeg is currently without Rasmus Kupari (upper body) and Gabriel Vilardi (lower body), while Buffalo is missing Tage Thompson (upper body) and Alex Tuch (upper body), although Tuch is a game-time decision. Will the Jets play 11-7 or go back to 12-6? Can Buffalo shuffle off with a win? Does Rocky Ehlers still have some fight in him and try to go for a Gordie Howe Hat Trick tonight? Will we have another trifecta in the Prediction Contest? These questions and more can't be answered if they are not asked...

When I think of Buffalo, what is the first thing that comes to my mind? The Sabres? Nah! The Bills? Who? A Bison? Maybe... What comes to mind first would be Buffalo Wild Wings, well maybe that's because I'm hungry! Anyway, after talking with some of my co-workers, I've come up with an interesting idea for a GDT. Why not talk about our favourite restaurants that are no longer around? I've come up with three...

Jim's Fish and Chips

fish-and-chips.jpg

I remember my parents took me to this hole in the wall store, across the street from the RCMP on Portage Avenue. He wrapped his homemade fish and chips in newspaper and it was really good. Later on he moved to a location beside the Viscount Gort. Whenever my relatives came in from California, we always took them to Jim's for a treat. He was so generous with his chips that I could never finish them. Unfortunately, he started to franchise his restaurant and they were not the same as the original, and I feel that was it's downfall and it eventually went out of business...

Souvlaki Pizza

Greek-Yogurt-Pizza-Dough-baked-pepperoni-pizza.jpg

Another restaurant I miss was located inside the Unicity Fashion Square. Every weekend, my parents would go to the horse races and I usually tagged along. Before we went, we always stopped in to Unicity to get pizza from Souvlaki Pizza. It was so delicious, it was a thin crust pizza with a light tangy tomato paste. I would always get the pepperoni as it wasn't spicy. We got to know the owner and we were very loyal customers. Then one day, he said he was closing as he had just won the lottery and didn't need to run his restaurant anymore. We thought maybe he would sell it to someone else, but he closed it permanently, which was disappointing...

Robin's Donuts

il_fullxfull.4171438629_6ji8.jpg

Okay, so it's not exactly out of business, but where the hell are they located outside of downtown or a hospital? Anyway, I remember there used to be at least five Robin's Donuts located near my house. We always bought their donuts at least once a week, either fresh or day old. When they were fresh, nobody could beat them. YUM! My favourite has always been the honey glazed ones, followed by a Bismarck, and then a jelly-filled. Then Tim Horton's arrived and slowly Robin's started to disappear around the city and the country. It truly is sad, because Timmy's has horrible donuts...

How about you? What was your favourite restaurant that is now longer in business?

Let's hope Winnipeg donut lose tonight! 🍩 Go Jets Go!:hockey:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I remember my grandfather’s fondness for the Georgian Room at the Bay.
I loved going with him for the brunch 50 years ago.
Downtown used to be so much better then.
Interesting. I grew up going to the Bay and often ate at the Paddlewheel restaurant up on the sixth floor. The Georgian Room was high end, not for plebs like me, so up to the cafeteria style Paddlewheel. Get your tray, line up to get your hamburger grilled, ask for some grilled onions on there. If you had extra money you could get a piece of chocolate cake and a pop from the fountain drink. Real glassware, real metal cutlery. Go through the line to pay, ask to get the bill "stamped" because my mom did the books at the Bay at the time so got a discount. Eat, maybe throw a couple of pennies in the water under the paddlewheel.

It closed in January of 2013. I ate there last on January 24, 2013. I had my usual hamburger meal and it tasted largely the same as it did as a child. They had moved on to paper cups by then, but still had real cutlery.

Was it really great food? No, it was pretty standard cafeteria fare. But the Bay holds a big piece of my heart from a nostalgic standpoint. My best friend and I would take the bus downtown on Saturday mornings to just look around the Bay, go over to the arcades on the north side of Portage and then eat lunch at the Paddlewheel before going home.

Go Jets go. Excited to see the Sabres in their current iteration. Hoping we keep up our solid play.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
9fw82X.gif

LO, praise of the prowess of people-Jets
of Buckshot Danes, in games long sped,
But what we have heard, and what honour the Beefaloes won?
Oft Okposo the Skinner from squadroned foes,
from many a tribe, Girgensons the mead-bench tore,
awing the girls. Since erst most Sabres lay
friendless, foundlings all, fate repaid them:
for they wane under Luukkonon, the loss of wealth they throve,
Till before him the Beefed fan folk, both far and near,
Abandon them in disinterest.
Yo, gaze upon our house by the Winnipeg path, see our mandate,
Jets give us gifts: a good team we!
To Jets 1.0 an heir was afterward born,
a lovely 2.0 child in these halls, whom heaven sent
to favor the folk, feeling their hockeyless woe
that erst they had lacked an proper coach for leader
so long a while; then Arnie endowed us,
the Wielder of Wonder, with world’s renown.
Famed was this Beowulf’d coach: far flew the boast of him,
son of Scyld, in the Scandian lands.

** some wee Beowulf for ye

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Most missed restaurant has to be Gasthaus Gutenberger. Whether going out for a nice evening meal, or stuffing yourself senseless at the all you could eat lunch buffet, everything was, as my wife's uncle used to say holding his ample belly and leaning back from the dinner table, Schmeckt! :nod:

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Thanks for the GDT @macmaroon.

I’ve been working some long days and split shifts this Fall, so not watching much this season so far.

However, I’m grateful for getting a great Employer this summer who’s sponsored me for an apprenticeship. My career change seems to be hitting its stride, kids & grandkids are doing well, so life is good.

I’m working again this afternoon/evening, so probably not able to join you for the game. Hopefully soon though. I miss the fun banter here.

Just wanted to stop by to say hi and hope life is good for everyone here & give my best wishes to those who are battling, like our friend @lomiller1

Cheers

ps. A quick meme for good luck tonight

IMG_5464.jpeg

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I miss the cafeteria located in the K Mart on Henderson, I grew up in Birds Hill, and that was the closet department store to us. The food wasnt memorable, but it meant I was gonna pick up a new Hot Wheels toy.

GoJetsGo
I forgot about the cafeteria atthe Kreske's in Polo Park. My grandmother would always take me there for an orange soda. They had plastic holders and put a paper cone in it for the drinks...

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I forgot about the cafeteria atthe Kreske's in Polo Park. My grandmother would always take me there for an orange soda. They had plastic holders and put a paper cone in it for the drinks...
That Jims Fish and Chips sounds very similar to Fergies Fish and Chips. It is located in the food court at both Polo Park and St Vital malls. It is fish and chips served in a newspaper cone. It is not bad. I would recommend it.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Interesting. I grew up going to the Bay and often ate at the Paddlewheel restaurant up on the sixth floor. The Georgian Room was high end, not for plebs like me, so up to the cafeteria style Paddlewheel. Get your tray, line up to get your hamburger grilled, ask for some grilled onions on there. If you had extra money you could get a piece of chocolate cake and a pop from the fountain drink. Real glassware, real metal cutlery. Go through the line to pay, ask to get the bill "stamped" because my mom did the books at the Bay at the time so got a discount. Eat, maybe throw a couple of pennies in the water under the paddlewheel.

It closed in January of 2013. I ate there last on January 24, 2013. I had my usual hamburger meal and it tasted largely the same as it did as a child. They had moved on to paper cups by then, but still had real cutlery.

Was it really great food? No, it was pretty standard cafeteria fare. But the Bay holds a big piece of my heart from a nostalgic standpoint. My best friend and I would take the bus downtown on Saturday mornings to just look around the Bay, go over to the arcades on the north side of Portage and then eat lunch at the Paddlewheel before going home.

Go Jets go. Excited to see the Sabres in their current iteration. Hoping we keep up our solid play.
1700240406034.png
You calling my grandpa a bizsnatch :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad