PGT: Game 15: Russia 7 - Switzerland 4

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
What a roller coaster for the Swiss, come out like a house on fire then give up the lead, blow two penalty shots then give up a shorty, get back to one and then the sword of damocles falls.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It was very entertaining game. Thanks Swiss, you played well. I am happy that Swiss becoming consistent in their good level each year.

Yeah, now they give good fights to top teams not just at WHCs, but at U20 as well. U18 and younger they don't look great, though. I think, so far.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Oh wow, just got up to speed with the 2 penalty shot drama. Amazing, wish I'd watched it live. Love the idea, tripped twice on the breakaway = 2 penalty shots. Although I think the team should be able to choose PS vs PP.

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
I don’t think Schmid is a bad goalie but Switzerland probably wins this game with a good performance in net.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I love that the Swiss team is not longer an easy win. It will be interesting to see how much momentum the sport is getting in the country and where this program will be in say a decade. Hopefully they keep improving so the sport has some more big time players on the international scene.

Reactions: 1OApick

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
I love that the Swiss team is not longer an easy win. It will be interesting to see how much momentum the sport is getting in the country and where this program will be in say a decade. Hopefully they keep improving so the sport has some more big time players on the international scene.

The sport is relatively huge in Switzerland. Bern for example have an average attendence of 15-20k/game every year, which for example is almost double the top attended team in Sweden.

Great to see them catching up in the development area as well.

Kap-the-Head

Jan 7, 2006
Saint Charles, IL
I am sorry, but in what game did the Swiss dominate. Granted, I only watched the last two periods, but from I have seen the Swiss were pinning the Russians down on two occasions, on the PP at the end of the second, and at the end of the third when Tarasov made four saves in a row. It looked like as soon as the Russians took the lead, they would preserve the energy for tomorrow's game. Swiss played a decent game considering the talent pool, but dominating... come on.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Great game to be at and witness the speed and skill of the Russians.

I'm not sure if it showed up on TV or not but after the 2nd failed penalty shot we had half the arena chanting 'one more try!' pleading for a third shot. It was a fun moment when everyone seemed to break out laughing regardless of the team they were cheering for.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, now they give good fights to top teams not just at WHCs, but at U20 as well. U18 and younger they don't look great, though. I think, so far.

For smaller countries it's always difficult to have a competitive team at junior level. So for Switzerland. We knew that this years team would be really solid with a good depth (altough missing a top-shot). With the possibility of 6 returning D-men next year could also be solid. But it just won't be every year like this year.
Other on Elite-level. Switzerland has surley closed the gap to the Top-6 a little bit down and if there is some NHL-support they will be a contender each year.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
As a Russian who lives in France near the Swiss border I hope hockey becomes a big deal there. Maybe my children can go develop into hockey players there :)

Reactions: robertmac43

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
The swiss are soo close to becoming one of the elite nations. Not quiet there yet, elite nations would definately punish Russia for all the penalties

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
As a Russian who lives in France near the Swiss border I hope hockey becomes a big deal there. Maybe my children can go develop into hockey players there :)
Worked for Ehlers. :)

Hockey in Switzerland is already a big deal. It's by far the #2 sport in the nation (football/soccer is and always will be the undisputed #1).

Reactions: scipio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad