PGT: Game 14: Sweden 5 - United States 4 (OT)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Son of Kjell is playing against the good guys. Kjell is one of the biggest people I've ever seen in person.

Mattias isn't as big as Kjell, but he's as physical of a defenseman as there is in the game nowadays. His ability to separate players from the puck is elite. He's just too strong and physical for junior hockey players. It often looks like he's bench-pressing forwards who try to beat him. We'll see how that goes in the NHL. The players will be bigger and stronger. I think he'll be good regardless, but physically he can dominate junior games before even using hockey ability.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
Eriksson-Ek in net?? Ersson been solid!

Quite strange really, the coaching staff must've been dead set on Ek as the starter. Ersson's hot and he's had a days rest. He's also outplayed Eriksson-Ek all season long.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He's the starter for this game. I don't think he's the starter, regardless of how he plays in the rest of the group games. If he struggles against Sweden or Finland, we could see Primeau again or hopefully Knight.
I think there is about a 0% chance that we see Knight get a game in this tournament. They are riding with Keyser and Primeau. When is the last time a team went 3 goalies deep by choice in this tournament?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think there is about a 0% chance that we see Knight get a game in this tournament. They are riding with Keyser and Primeau. When is the last time a team went 3 goalies deep by choice in this tournament?

I doubt we see Knight, but the other two haven't looked good so far in my opinion. The way the schedule sets up along with having three quality goalies might lend to this being a case where we actually do see three goalies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
He's the starter for this game. I don't think he's the starter, regardless of how he plays in the rest of the group games. If he struggles against Sweden or Finland, we could see Primeau again or hopefully Knight.

He’s the starter. Any starter could lose their net of course, if he plays poorly for multiple games.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
That’s where we disagree. I think one bad game might lose him the net, especially considering he wasn’t all that great against Slovakia.

Agree to disagree. I thought he was fine against Slovakia. A couple shaky moments sure, but he made the saves he needed to make and had good numbers all things considered.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I predict an easy win for USA. I hope I have wrong. Go Sweden!
This is being overly humble with a superstitous slant to it.

This isn't going to be an easy win for the U.S, its rare when sweden get's beat easily, they are too good for that, shit....................................they are on something like a 45 game win streak at this thing in round robin play and you think they are going to be beaten easily?

Cmon now, this game is a 50-50 call going in.

Reactions: Chimp

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If anything the Swedes are probably the favourite, especially in group play.
And to boot it's just come down that Hughes can't go tonight either, as if scoring on that defense wasn't going to be tough enough with him in the lineup.

Advantage..........................Sweden.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Sweden's streak... It must end, but can it end ever?

To me USA sounds like the favorite but preliminary round win streak of Sweden just doesn't seem to end.

Sweden is pretty good in defending their lead as usual, so if they get 2 goals ahead at some point of the game, I think the game is in the bag for Sweden.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Sweden's streak... It must end, but can it end ever?

To me USA sounds like the favorite but preliminary round win streak of Sweden just doesn't seem to end.
I just can't really see how the U.S is the favourite going into this game, looks like flip a coin to me.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I was waiting for this.
Big test for both teams!!

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I just can't really see how the U.S is the favourite going into this game, looks like flip a coin to me.

I wouldn't bet money for either one. Sweden with the streak and USA with NA sized rink. Player material wise I lean on USA, so that makes me say USA is the favorite, but anything could happen. Will be a good game.

USA winning would be good for the tournament, so in that FIN-USA game the group win would still be open even for Finland.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't bet money for either one. Sweden with the streak and USA with NA sized rink. Player material wise I lean on USA, so that makes me say USA is the favorite, but anything could happen. Will be a good game.

USA winning would be good for the tournament, so in that FIN-USA game the group win would still be open even for Finland.
I'd have to think long about it but when pressed I would probably lay the cash on Sweden tonight myself. Having Hughes out again tonight hurts the U.S a lot.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'd have to think long about it but when pressed I would probably lay the cash on Sweden tonight myself. Having Hughes out again tonight hurts the U.S a lot.

Oh I didn't know Hughes is out. Talking about Jack right?

Then there's a small advantage for Sweden for not having to play yesterday while USA had a quite easy one against Kazakhstan but that was still a game instead of practicing or resting.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He missed the last game too didn’t he? What injury does he have do you know?
Yeah he didnt play against Kazachstan and I heard from William Bonney in the U.S team thread that he is out for tonight too and Bonney is the guy to listen to when you want the true goods on the U.S team.

I don't think the type of injury is confirmed but I have heard rumours saying it's his shoulder.

Reactions: snipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad