GDT: Game 14 - Dallas Stars @ Winnipeg Jets - Saturday, November 11th, 2023 - 2:00pm CST - TSN3 - Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
flanders-field-drawing-960x540.jpg

flanders-fields-poem-photo.jpg

5fa047bd07318.image.jpg

The Winnipeg Jets take on the Dallas Stars at 2:00pm today at Canada Life Centre. The early start time is to accommodate the Winnipeg Blue Bombers home playoff game against the B.C. Lions at 5:30pm. The Stars are in first place in the Central Division with an 8-3-1 record, one point ahead of our beloved team, after a 5-2 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets. The Jets have a record of 7-4-2 after winning 6-3 against the Nashville Predators and have won three straight games against teams in their own division. Can Adam Lowry continue fighting on? Will Brendan Dillon keep blasting shots from the point? Who will be the hero of the game? What veterans will step up and lead our team to victory? These questions and a few others will be remembered today...

Go Jets Go! :hockey:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Thanks @macmaroon

I won't forget - thanks Grandpa(s).

"Remembrance Day falls on November 11th every year, and the timing is no accident. At the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918, the armistice agreement was signed, marking the end of World War I. This event led to the establishment of Remembrance Day, making it a day of remembrance for those who served and sacrificed in the "war to end all wars.""

The last bit of this quote conveys a significant modicum of irony. Certainly it would be momentous to realize an end to all wars. I'm trying to Imagine it.

====================

Go Jets, it will be fine to whip these Dallas helots.

:jets:jets:jets:jets:jets

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
2e6dd8de88749f297843dca538a5962a.jpg

Since Dallas, nor stone, nor earth, nor boundless sea,
Will with waning mortality o'er-sway Jets third line power,
How will this Tejas cage encumber and hold Scheifele,
Whose actions are Iafallo 's honey’d assist, and gunned arms hold out
As he crasheth Dallas’ net; wreckful siege of battering days,
With Otter’s rock’d non-impregnable and not so stout,
Nor gates of steel so strong, with Time’s inevitable decay?
O Benn - ye fear this meditation! where, alack,
Shall Time's best jewel - Pavelski - from Time's decay hid?
Hell Boy’s strong hand can sure to hold his sad shot back?
Or this thin foil cover Robertson’s lost beauty can forbid?
O, none, lest Dallas forge a miracle from thy fetid shyte,
As we find Jets love in this black ink, may’t still shine bright.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My Grampa fought in WW2. My dad (now 93) was a 9 year old boy when his dad stepped up and went off at and older age to join the allied forces. I asked dad about this when I finally realized his dad went to war when he was 9 and came back when he was 15. Thanks Henry James (Harry) for your service. You were a kind man with a big laugh and I really do thank you for your service when you were probably a little old to go but way too forceful to be denied.

Probably the most important day of the year to me. When I was a kid in my school in Saskatoon it was such a big day. So many of the vets were alive and very vibrant still (late 1960’s). So many vets wore uniforms and were in the prime of their lives still during our school service. I will never forget the looks on their faces. Our principal had served and he would be in full uniform and often shed a tear or two. I use to always worry that as time went on people would forget and the day would lose steam as we moved further away from the big wars where so many lives were lost.

This past Thursday I took time to go to my kids school and watch their rememberance day service. The place was packed with both kids but many parents. The service was pretty incredible and the principal shared a personal story of his family fleeing eastern Europe to Canada and he showed a photo. Sadly they lost 3 of the elder people in that photo in the war.

I have been so crazy busy at work I almost thought I should duck out early to take a call but once the service started it just took over me. Everything else in my life rightfully melted away and the priority of this event took over me. The feelings are even stronger for me now. I looked over at my 15 year old son and I thought of him going off to war in a couple of years. I wondered what it must have been like as parents watched their babies leave and in many cases never come back. I was overcome with emotion as I saw the young men’s (and now women’s) photos in the presentation. I was reminded again the difference between what we think is sacrifice and what it means to say the ultimate sacrifice.

To me the meaning of rememberence day has grown in importance. Also watched little kids faces (K to 12 School) and they seemed to be riveted……Much to my joy this day has not faded. Its just as important today as it was when I was a kid in school in Saskatoon.

Lest we forget.

GJG

Last edited:

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
My father recently passed at the age of 99. He was with the Military Engineers and worked on the Alaska Hwy during WW2. Until his last breath he wouldn’t let any denunciation of Canada go unpunished. My father-in-law landed in Normandy the 1st day of the landing. Great men were in abundance from that generation. No political correctness and no knee bending. Heros to many of us.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
2pm game for you means 9pm game for me! Go Jets Go!

A little over four years in Europe and I'm still not quite used to Rememberance Day, since ANZAC Day is more widely commemorated at home on April 25th and that's when we have all the dawn services and parades.

As I learned more and more about New Zealand history, the more it blew my mind to see how big of a role that ill-fated Gallipoli Campaign has played in the ongoing development of a distinctly New Zealand national identity. It has also been a pleasure to meet some really lovely Turkish people here in France and talk about the influence of the Gallipoli Campaign in the opposite direction.

It's always sobering to reflect on just how much of who we are, where we're from, and the realtive peace and freedom we enjoy today at least in part comes from bloodshed somewhere, sometime.

The generations of my family that I know about fell in such a way that almost all of the men were either too old, too young, or too busy migrating to New Zealand to have fought in either of the World Wars, but my thoughts are with those of you on HF Jets who are particularly touched by today.

Anyway, back to the hockey. GJG!!!

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My Mother lost her Uncle during WW2...

He was a Lieutenant in the Welland Regiment... he was captured along with the rest of his remaining platoon on a recon mission post D-day...

He was taken away the next morning away from the rest of his captured men...

He was never seen again... the 12th SS around Caen were his captors...

His only marker is his name on the Cenotaph at Bayeux, France...

Godspeed George...

11305147c0f83a8b85debfb6c633b29c.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad