Post-Game Talk: Game 14: Anaheim Ducks vs San Jose Sharks, 5pm PT, BSSC (Ducks win 4-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
It's gotten to the point where I wonder if Seattle regrets not taking McTavish who appears to have a lot more offensive upside than Beniers. There are some players who leave you wanting more, like you think they can do stuff that they rarely, if ever, actually do. Mason is the complete opposite - he keeps doing stuff that i had no idea he was capable of doing. the only thing i'm certain of with him is that his upside appears to be very, very high.
I don't much care about what other teams do or don't regret about their picks. I trust our scouts and management to find the guys that are a good fit for US, and they've delivered. What's exciting is that these kids are gelling with the vets and young players from last year or before, and have only room to grow further. We are in a playoff position now, and we're still not running on all cylinders. I'm confident we will be in the playoff picture in April, and we'll go from there. These kids NEED playoff experience - let them get it.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It's gotten to the point where I wonder if Seattle regrets not taking McTavish who appears to have a lot more offensive upside than Beniers. There are some players who leave you wanting more, like you think they can do stuff that they rarely, if ever, actually do. Mason is the complete opposite - he keeps doing stuff that i had no idea he was capable of doing. the only thing i'm certain of with him is that his upside appears to be very, very high.
What happened to Beniers? Is he having a delayed sophomore slump or is it really lack of skill?

He seems similar to Fantilli in a way that they might not have some tools but are so fantastic athletes that makes them succeed at least at the certain level. Tbh I'd expect Benoers to bounce back production wise.

PS
Back at the playoff spot bby. Hope I can watch this game tonight

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I don’t mind the sharks, simply due to the fact that the only way to see a playoff game in California before the Kings/Ducks started winning was to go to San jose

It was electric back then.
Same, and their best players over the years are more likeable than the Kings star players, none of their stars earned bad rep like Doughty and Brown. Its impossible to dislike Pavelski, one of the best american forwards of all time who probably plays til he's 45. Its actually still possible he reaches 600 goals if keeps averaging around 25 goals.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Amazing what he can do with some defensive structure in front of him

2023-24 Gibby
Games = 8, Sv% = 0.926, and GAA = 2.21

Gibby2021-22 Splits
Game SetDescriptionGamesSASVSv%GAAGA
TotalAll season
56​
1789​
1617​
0.904​
3.07​
172​
1 to 34B4 All-Star Break
34​
1069​
986​
0.922​
2.44​
83​
34 to 56After All-star Break
20​
720​
631​
0.876​
4.45​
89​

Note: We lost Manson to IR during All-star break, missing 12 consecutive games and a couple of games afterward was traded.

Maybe... just maybe, talent available is equally important. How quickly many forget the start of the 2021-22 season, where it's longest win streak was eight games. Also, the Ducks were 3rd in the Pacific when Verbeek took over during All-star break.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
It was hilarious to watch Cronin’s expression during the post game interview after he was told Vatrano said he was a motivator. You knew that Cronin was thinking of a different word when he heard that.

In reality, there is a fine line between motivator and …hole.

John

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Weird to bring this up.

Beniers helped Seattle make the playoffs last year as their 1C. Kinda difficult to argue with that production. Matty has great-to-elite speed, great defense, and some offensive pop as his scouting report before the draft.

Mac's scouting profile was on display at the WJC-18 as a physical, two-way forward, whose offensive skill is sky high. There's a video on YouTube still up for your viewing convenience. The reason why many didn't believe Mac was capable of doing such things is because of the lack of research or the lack of acceptance of research shared on this board - mostly the latter. There's a podcast interview with EP's Mitch Brown where he discusses the WJC-18's, which I share a link below.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Weird to bring this up.

Beniers helped Seattle make the playoffs last year as their 1C. Kinda difficult to argue with that production. Matty has great-to-elite speed, great defense, and some offensive pop as his scouting report before the draft.

Mac's scouting profile was on display at the WJC-18 as a physical, two-way forward, whose offensive skill is sky high. There's a video on YouTube still up for your viewing convenience. The reason why many didn't believe Mac was capable of doing such things is because of the lack of research or the lack of acceptance of research shared on this board - mostly the latter. There's a podcast interview with EP's Mitch Brown where he discusses the WJC-18's, which I share a link below.

It actually isn't weird at all to bring up. Mason's play has made it a really interesting thing to think about.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Weird to bring this up.

How is that weird to bring up? There is a difference between playing as a 1C vs playing like a 1C. Beniers was playing as their 1C like Leo is technically for us, but neither Matty last year, nor Leo this year are playing like a true 1C. Mac is though, so it’s fair to ask the question if Seattle might be regretting their pick, because it’s absolutely not black and white so there’s discussion to be had.

Reactions: Mr Rogers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad