GDT: Game 13 | Sabres @ Sens | Tuesday Feb. 12 | 7:30PM | Nicolas Cage Edition | SNET-E

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Still love that Anderson trade. Also, no chance EK wins a Norris last year without Andy playing the way he did.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Awesome game tonight. Actually entertaining, unlike the last one. Woulda won a Big Mac if EK didn't hit the post with 3 seconds left. :laugh:

Also, Marc Methot is becoming one of my favourite players. Dude is a beast.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Screw landeskog, zibby will be awesome. It's not like we got stuck with a bust.
Andy, zibby is 1000000000 times better than elliott, lando

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
My impressions: they played better tonight. Passes connected much better than in the previous game. Anderson and Karlsson are carrying the team, but Methot, Condra and Neil are also doing their share. Turris is snakebitten, he needs to bury his chances. I want to see Ziba on the point on the PP, he has a monster shot! PLEASE no more Greening on the PP.

Also: Da Costa only 11:17 minutes of ice time? Why? He played great and we need to offensive contribution. He doesn't look like a defensive liability either.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Quick bulletin for anyone who's interested: There's a Rangers-Sens game up on the NHL gamecenter 'this week in history' section from 1994.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
My impressions: they played better tonight. Passes connected much better than in the previous game. Anderson and Karlsson are carrying the team, but Methot, Condra and Neil are also doing their share. Turris is snakebitten, he needs to bury his chances. I want to see Ziba on the point on the PP, he has a monster shot! PLEASE no more Greening on the PP.

Also: Da Costa only 11:17 minutes of ice time? Why? He played great and we need to offensive contribution. He doesn't look like a defensive liability either.
Agree with all that

Good idea with the zibby on the point. I'd pay to see that.
And i was thinking the same about dacosta. He should be playing with silfverberg. I guess they want to get turris going and maybe want to ease dacosta in? He looks like he's ready to go 20 mins to me. He'll get more time if he keeps it up.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Let's face it, as much as we all love and are looking forward to Robin Lehner, Craig Anderson is a phenomenal goalie in his own right. Don't shoot me, but I'm seriously considering the possibility that Anderson himself is the goalie this organization should go forward with, even beyond his current contract. Look at the Canucks' goalie situation. Cory Schneider is apparently their goalie of the future and was drafted in 2004 but is STILL waiting to fully take over the job. I mean, it's possible that Lehner plays yet another season in the AHL and then plays a couple seasons in Ottawa as a backup until Anderson is clearly past it.

I'm seeing it now: the Senators will have their own GOOD goaltending problem with Anderson and Lehner in the near future. Anderson has gone from a band-aid solution to a legitimate stud and Lehner is a future stud.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Let's face it, as much as we all love and are looking forward to Robin Lehner, Craig Anderson is a phenomenal goalie in his own right. Don't shoot me, but I'm seriously considering the possibility that Anderson himself is the goalie this organization should go forward with, even beyond his current contract.

If we could find a GM who values Lehner as much as this fanbase does, I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

I like the kid, don't get me wrong, but if we could get a legit 1st line forward young enough to fit into our future plan for him, I'd make that trade 100 out of 50 times.

Anderson is for real.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
If we could find a GM who values Lehner as much as this fanbase does, I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

I like the kid, don't get me wrong, but if we could get a legit 1st line forward young enough to fit into our future plan for him, I'd make that trade 100 out of 50 times.

Anderson is for real.

There is one. He just coincidentally happens to be GM of this team.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Let's face it, as much as we all love and are looking forward to Robin Lehner, Craig Anderson is a phenomenal goalie in his own right. Don't shoot me, but I'm seriously considering the possibility that Anderson himself is the goalie this organization should go forward with, even beyond his current contract. Look at the Canucks' goalie situation. Cory Schneider is apparently their goalie of the future and was drafted in 2004 but is STILL waiting to fully take over the job. I mean, it's possible that Lehner plays yet another season in the AHL and then plays a couple seasons in Ottawa as a backup until Anderson is clearly past it.

I'm seeing it now: the Senators will have their own GOOD goaltending problem with Anderson and Lehner in the near future. Anderson has gone from a band-aid solution to a legitimate stud and Lehner is a future stud.

In my heart I would love to see this team move into the future with an Andy/Lehner tandem, with both getting a fairly nice share of games.

That being said, if Lehner proves ready to grasp the starting role from Andy, I hope we either let his contract expire or deal him. Anderson's a legitimate starter in this league and I wouldn't want to put him in a position where he would be splitting or backing up Lehner. He waited for so long in Florida to finally earn a starting job and I wouldn't want to take that from him.

Though if he's willing to stay and tandem with Lehner, I'd be totally down with that.

KAPOW

has no rispeck
Nov 12, 2008
at home

Anderson is for real.

hm i understand that some people get totally carried away with the play anderson is currently showing. but i think it's way too early to draw such a decision. don't get me wrong, anderson's playing awesome and absoutely carrying this team but past has proven that such numbers can be flukely increased. see jonathan quick, elliot last year. there are several more examples of goalies that only had one or two good seasons.
i like that anderson has 3 (?) more years left on this contract and we could use everyone of these but let's wait those years and reevaluate then. because in contrast to lehner's calder cup and playoff mvp at 19, anderson hasn't won a single post-season series at pro level, as far as i recall.

sorry for the killjoy

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Im way late too the party but I just wanted to drop in and say Good win fellas:)

Anderson has BeastMode engaged this season. Heres to him,Miller,and Quick in Sochi next year.

We on the other hand are a freaking joke. You see what happens when our top line is not producing:shakehead

Oh and sorry about the Avatar,lol. I changed it too this after the second in hope that it would start a rally (Dont know why im apologizing,could be the beer).

Here's to a good season guys (I still hate you though).

P.S- Could we trade Defense's??

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
hm i understand that some people get totally carried away with the play anderson is currently showing. but i think it's way too early to draw such a decision. don't get me wrong, anderson's playing awesome and absoutely carrying this team but past has proven that such numbers can be flukely increased. see jonathan quick, elliot last year. there are several more examples of goalies that only had one or two good seasons.
i like that anderson has 3 (?) more years left on this contract and we could use everyone of these but let's wait those years and reevaluate then. because in contrast to lehner's calder cup and playoff mvp at 19, anderson hasn't won a single post-season series at pro level, as far as i recall.

sorry for the killjoy

Good post. If Andersson keeps up the great work I can see Andersson/Lehner for the next 1.5-2.5 seasons. In the end one of them will leave (if they both play up to some people's expectations on this board) but that shouldn't be such a tragedy since the other will stay...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, not a particularly well played game but I'll take the win.

We're not creating as many quality offensive chances and our PP is atrocious.

They started getting their feet moving a bit near the end of the game, but our pattern of terrible 1st periods has to change.

Anderson gives us a chance to win every game. It would be nice if the boys could make it a bit easier for him once in awhile.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Methot was the only one of the rotating "A's" to actually step up his game while wearing it. I'd like to see him get one permanently at some point.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

sorry for the killjoy

Stuff like this is ridiculous. Didn't Anderson set a record in the post season for most shots against in a shut-out win? The guy's numbers actually get better in the playoffs...it's not his fault that he has been on terrible teams going into the playoffs. Hell, the teams that he has literally carried to the playoffs had no business being there without him.

Take a long look at Anderson's career numbers and what you will see is that he is actually fairly similar to guys like Price and Halak (I made an in depth statistical comparison a long time ago...before last season). Anderson is for real, and as long as he's healthy I'm sorry but you don't displace him for Lehner.

I would look at moving Lehner for sure and just keep Bishop as a back-up if he's willing. Anderson is a work-horse who can eat a ton of games, and still play at a fantastic level.

Plus...the guys you are talking about having break out single years like Quick and Elliott also played for some of the best defensive teams in recent history...and Elliott was entirely insulated. Anderson has played for one of the worst defensive teams in the league the last 3 years and has put up amazing numbers. Not even comparable.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Andy hasn't been on a playoff team seeded higher than 8th. Give him a break with this no playoff series win crap... he has a .933 SV% with 2 shutouts and a 2.29GAA in 13 playoff starts.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This team is still heavily snake bitten and of course missing its biggest goals manufacturer

I see that some people said we were "creating chances" but :

2 posts on perfect shots from Gonchar and Zibanejad but the puck wouldn't go in. Alfie missed an empty net on another perfect setting, same with Turris in the first and in the 3rd And another post at the end from Karlsson. Sens could have had 4-5 goals easily tonight (summary : 3 posts, 3 open nets misses)

What a play by Michalek on Karlsson's goal (his first SH career goal), attracted the attention on him to set up EK perfectly. Our best goal scorer is more of a playmaker so far this year. Great shot from Gonchar on Condra's goal. Michalek and Gonchar were criticized a lot but they sure brought their game last night (not only because of those plays)

Easy first 2 periods for Anderson, outside of 2-3 dangerous chances, most shots were coming from the outside and perimeter. Had more work to do in the 3rd but once Anderson is on his game, he is hard to beat. Teams haven't figured out that they need to shoot less vs Anderson but create better scoring chances in the early game. It's like everytime he swallows a shot, he gets bigger.

Also, our "team defense" is very underrated around here but soon will be recognized around the league, so the whiny fans will maybe change their tune a bit, hopefully. It's basically night and day vs last season where we were giving up a lot more high % scoring chances. We're probably sacrificing a lot of offense to do so (I know I'm repeating myself)

That being said, Anderson's anticipation, vision and rebound control is something else... wow. Finally, this fanbase knows what it is to have a real #1 goalie out there (outside of a few Hasek months).

Gonchar is useless with and without the puck, he still leads both teams in icetime.
Go figure...
Gonchar sucks.

I agree. Paul MacLean shouldn't have a NHL job. And those people voting for him as a Jack Adams candidate shouldn't be in the hockey world.

No one sees the value in Gonchar and it's annoying as ****.

No worries, some people do. I'm thinking those who constantly whine about Gonchar are just young hockey fans who don't have a clear idea of what is going on. They just don't like his style so he must suck. Remember, it's Alfie/Karlsson or bust for many Sens fans.

Remember when BM didn't want Alex semin on our team last off season? Serious dumbass move.

Another example of teens confusing reality and HF :laugh:

It's incredible how internet has distorted reality in people's perception

I used to love this team so much. Now I'm starting to dislike many of our players.

Never too high, never too low... Teams/players go hot and cold.

I repeat that a lot but it seems it's the only way a message can go through

Imagine Karlsson on a team like Pittsburgh, playing with Malkin and Crosby. He'd be a 2,0 ppg player.

I don't see many people on this board surviving a few years of finishing dead last in the NHL (that's where you get Elite talent)...

I mean we missed the playoffs only twice in the last 15 seasons, only ONCE this team was a bottom feeder (not even dead last but 5th last) and people were on massive depression, bordering collective suicide and killing rage

This fanbase wouldn't survive a rebuild ala Chicago/Pittsburgh/Edmonton. We have a "kingchild fanbase" because a recent franchise means a young fanbase

That being said, I'm happy we have talent like Spezza, Turris, Alfredsson, Michalek, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Da Costa, Karlsson, Cowen, Wiercioch and Gonchar on the team despite haven't been drafting high very often. The thing is we have even more talent coming up that we're developping

If people can't be satisfied with that, then good luck is all I have to say. Of course, now we have to remain patient because most impact players are "old" or injured (Alfie, Gonchar, Spezza)... or just very young

Just look at NHL games experience...

This version of the Sens has 7600 NHL games... In comparison, the 2007-08 team had over 17000 NHL games...

One of the lowest totals in the NHL and if you remove Gonchar, Alfie and Phillips who are physically not in their prime anymore... not a lot of experience.

After two periods, Buffalo has 14 blocked shots, Ottawa with 4. I remember every championship team blocked shots by committee. We need to block more.

Championship team and Ottawa shouldn't be in the same sentence for now... That's what confuse people's expectations and make this fanbase angry when the Sens don't lead the game 6-0 after 10 mins in the first (this is where I laugh :laugh:)

It seems as if Phillips has played a good game, why not reward him.

Coaching staff... They have no idea what they are doing out there according to HF holiness

Good thing Buffalo is terrible, Sens do not deserve a win tonight.

lol is it sarcasm? Sens played a very good game (well were still asleep in the first 12-15 mins). Not sure what people are expecting from a such young & inexperienced team missing key players and in a slump

It's becoming surreal really. People need to get their heads checked.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Watched two games last night. In the first one the Sens were not good, as Maclean likes to say, lots of teepees and wigwams out there. The team was tight, the crowd was tight, passes were missing all over the place. The refs handed the Sens some PPs on soft calls but they couldn't cash in on them.

The second game started after Karl scored. The tension level dropped, the team started to get some flow into the game and were actually hitting passes to players that were skating!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad