GDT: Game 13: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh | 11/2 7PM EDT

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
By my count, in approximately 8 periods of play, Curtis has given up 3 goals to the opposition and 1 goal to Comeau. Not bad.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Horton is an upgrade to our top six. We need that, Anisimov to resurface and one more scorer.

Horton, Calvert, and Jenner in the lineup would all be good additions to our top 6.

Umberger's lack of goal production at 4.5m per year and our inability to draft a true prolific scorer really visible here

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
anyone who thinks horton will fix this offense is out to lunch

May not fix,but recorrect our path. He SHOULD take away minutes from players like RJ.

Also am I the only one who wants a little more line shake up? Basically the same lines as last year. We started the first game or two shaking things up but it's all gone right back.

Atkinson Johansen Gaborik
Foligno Dubi Ansimov
Umberger Letestu Comeau
Boll Dmac Chaput

See Richards ,not that hard.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
This boards obsession with pinning everything on a lack of leadership and hard work is comical.

As a Moderator, you are a leader of these forums. I feel you should be working harder to entertain us with funny posts. :sarcasm:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
As a Moderator, you are a leader of these forums. I feel you should be working harder to entertain us with funny posts. :sarcasm:

I may somehow have the ability to post from the future but I'm not a magical being.

Portzline said something about a country club atmosphere 6 years ago, so apparently, that'll be what everybody whines about after every loss for the next 50 years until we relocate to Moon Colony Beta. Whoda thunk it?

Last edited:

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
I may somehow have the ability to post from the future but I'm not a magical being.

Portzline said something about a country club atmosphere 6 years ago, so apparently, that'll be what everybody whines about after every loss for the next 50 years until we relocate to Moon Colony Beta. Whoda thunk it?

Over my dead body! Those moon-belters can't appreciate good hockey and don't deserve a team.

thebus2288*

Also am I the only one who wants a little more line shake up?
MY GOD does this bother me. We need to go to the "traditional" EA Sports style line combos. A 1,2,3 and 4. Right now with who we have healthy we have IMO an OBVIOUS "top 6" up front. Comeau, Umberger and Letestu are not part of this. Or should I say SHOULD NOT be part of this. These guys have been killing their lines all year besides a few games and yet still see time on whatever line is the "top" line for certain games. The whole 3 scoring lines thing doesn't work when not 1 of these lines is scoring on a consistent basis. **** if you ask me Boll has looked better offensively than these guys. All the love Letestu gets for being 2nd in scoring last year...well he looks like a 45 yr old version of last years SLOW top scorer that cant score or do anything really. All Comeau and Umberger can do is skate in a straight line. Not even that fast...and don't even think about putting a puck on their stick while this skating stuff is going on.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
MY GOD does this bother me. We need to go to the "traditional" EA Sports style line combos. A 1,2,3 and 4. Right now with who we have healthy we have IMO an OBVIOUS "top 6" up front. Comeau, Umberger and Letestu are not part of this. Or should I say SHOULD NOT be part of this. These guys have been killing their lines all year besides a few games and yet still see time on whatever line is the "top" line for certain games. The whole 3 scoring lines thing doesn't work when not 1 of these lines is scoring on a consistent basis. **** if you ask me Boll has looked better offensively than these guys. All the love Letestu gets for being 2nd in scoring last year...well he looks like a 45 yr old version of last years SLOW top scorer that cant score or do anything really. All Comeau and Umberger can do is skate in a straight line. Not even that fast...and don't even think about putting a puck on their stick while this skating stuff is going on.

I agree about RJ and Comeau, but I won't give a pass to Foligno, he always tries to do too much and loses the puck. Last night, I was also disappointed in Cam, he constantly looked to make the cute pass instead of just putting the puck on net. All in all, there was not a single line that was consistently dangerous, last night.

neek21

Sep 8, 2012
Pittsburgh built a wall around that goalie last night...we couldn't get anything of substance to the net...and yes, with the volume of Pens fans in attendance, they were quite 'nice', actually...

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Pittsburgh built a wall around that goalie last night...we couldn't get anything of substance to the net...

I agree, this was basically their strategy. When we did win an offensive zone faceoff, the penguins would put lots of pressure on our defensemen and most of the time we would turn the puck over or make a bad decision with it. I don't know that Pittsburgh is that much better than us overall, they just show much more poise with the puck and make smarter decisions with it. It all starts with passing, when you can't do that its going to be difficult to get scoring chances, and Pittsburgh exploited that weakness in our team.

CBJ Tiffin

Jan 2, 2011
It's not hard to be good away fans when their team owns the house... sympathy could be a factor.

I'll agree that the vast majority of pens fans in 116 were well-behaved and polite.

There were a couple of loud, drunken females behind us that ran their mouths the entire game. I thought they were just loud, but found out today that they were spilling beer and falling into my buddy's wife who was sitting a couple seats to my right.

I also found out today that my wife's friend (who was not there with us) tried to use the restroom and was told by two women in pens jerseys that NWA is their house, and she can go outside with the homeless. Had to go find another restroom.

Pens fans - I got no use for 'em.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'll agree that the vast majority of pens fans in 116 were well-behaved and polite.

There were a couple of loud, drunken females behind us that ran their mouths the entire game. I thought they were just loud, but found out today that they were spilling beer and falling into my buddy's wife who was sitting a couple seats to my right.

I also found out today that my wife's friend (who was not there with us) tried to use the restroom and was told by two women in pens jerseys that NWA is their house, and she can go outside with the homeless. Had to go find another restroom.

I think the homeless have better taste than to make a diet of Iron City "beer" and Primanti Brothers.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Also am I the only one who wants a little more line shake up?

I don't disagree with Umberger or Letestu but I think Comeau has been effective, yes he had a mistake last night, but it didn't matter in the outcome. I think he has played hard, hit, fought and created some offensive. I like him as a third or fourth line player. Right now though, when Boone, Calvert and Horton come back, barring other injuries, I can't see Umberger and Letestu in the lineup, or at least they shouldn't be with the way they have been playing.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I agree about RJ and Comeau, but I won't give a pass to Foligno, he always tries to do too much and loses the puck. Last night, I was also disappointed in Cam, he constantly looked to make the cute pass instead of just putting the puck on net. All in all, there was not a single line that was consistently dangerous, last night.

I was noticing that about Cam, too

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Back from the game, not sure if there have been any reports on the Pens fans in attendance, but in my section club 3 and 4, they seemed pretty cool tonight. Not too drunk or cocky. Nice change from the leafs and last time Pens visited NWA. Tonight was better than the typical Hawks or Wings crowd. Pleasantly surprised. Shocked, actually. There were SO MANY, of course.

They cheered, not jeered, from what I saw. I don't mind visiting fans there to watch their team, if they can act like humans...

Still look forward to the day when it's not an issue. ;)

I was disappointed in our own fans staying away from R Bar, it was loaded with Pens fans and they booed everytime a Jackets fan entered the bar. We need to show up for the pre-game too and not let them take over our bar!

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

Amen...shoot the fricking puck for the love of god. I listened to about half the game on the radio and that was the resounding message there as well.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I was disappointed in our own fans staying away from R Bar, it was loaded with Pens fans and they booed everytime a Jackets fan entered the bar. We need to show up for the pre-game too and not let them take over our bar!

i've just stopped going there b/c they increased the prices...i can get a groupon and eat and drink at BBR for the price of 2 drinks there...i like Mike and Natalie a lot, but just can't continue to pay to eat and drink there for games...

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
i've just stopped going there b/c they increased the prices...i can get a groupon and eat and drink at BBR for the price of 2 drinks there...i like Mike and Natalie a lot, but just can't continue to pay to eat and drink there for games...

I do agree with you there, and Steph always made the best double 7 and 7 of anyone at R bar, I go to BBR occasionally but for the most part it's not a hockey environment is why I don't switch completely. Good point though!

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I do agree with you there, and Steph always made the best double 7 and 7 of anyone at R bar, I go to BBR occasionally but for the most part it's not a hockey environment is why I don't switch completely. Good point though!

The service is worth the premium price at the rBar imo, but I understand others looking for a more affordable joint too. I actually go to alot less games than I used to because of ticket prices and changes in my life (kids) so I'm not knocking anyone for stretching a buck.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

As a (female) Pens STH I find stories like this so ****ing mortifying I can't even begin to express it. All I can say is that these people are not long-term die hard Pens fans or else they'd remember the days when the same stuff used to happen to us at Mellon Arena with invasions of Leafs, Habs, Sabres (the WORST), etc. fans and behave accordingly. I've been to lots of games here in Pittsburgh in the early 2000s where attendance was 50/50 or worse and I know how it feels. I went to a Pens/Jackets game in Columbus a few years ago and was pretty embarrassed by the behavior I saw from some of the Pens fans there and I hate that these drunken losers are giving us a bad reputation around the league. Pens fans are not all like this. In fact, if you were to attend a game at Consol I'm pretty sure you'd be treated very well by the fans there.

There are 9 of us coming to the game on March 28th. I've been to several arenas and outside of Consol, NWA is my favorite. I know you'd rather not have us there at all, but there will be at least 9 polite Pens fans in attendance who will be respectful and remember that we are guests. I also love, love, love the area around NWA. The Pens are just starting development around Consol and I'm hoping it's half as nice as the arena district in Columbus. I like that the Jackets & Pens are in the same division now & I'm hoping they can get a nice rivalry going.

Sorry some of our fans are huge *******s. :(

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
As a (female) Pens STH I find stories like this so ****ing mortifying I can't even begin to express it. All I can say is that these people are not long-term die hard Pens fans or else they'd remember the days when the same stuff used to happen to us at Mellon Arena with invasions of Leafs, Habs, Sabres (the WORST), etc. fans and behave accordingly. I've been to lots of games here in Pittsburgh in the early 2000s where attendance was 50/50 or worse and I know how it feels. I went to a Pens/Jackets game in Columbus a few years ago and was pretty embarrassed by the behavior I saw from some of the Pens fans there and I hate that these drunken losers are giving us a bad reputation around the league. Pens fans are not all like this. In fact, if you were to attend a game at Consol I'm pretty sure you'd be treated very well by the fans there.

There are 9 of us coming to the game on March 28th. I've been to several arenas and outside of Consol, NWA is my favorite. I know you'd rather not have us there at all, but there will be at least 9 polite Pens fans in attendance who will be respectful and remember that we are guests. I also love, love, love the area around NWA. The Pens are just starting development around Consol and I'm hoping it's half as nice as the arena district in Columbus. I like that the Jackets & Pens are in the same division now & I'm hoping they can get a nice rivalry going.

Sorry some of our fans are huge *******s. :(

This is true. I was at Fridays game in Pittsburgh and was really surprised how nicely we were treated. Saturdays game was not the worst I have seen Pens fans act in NWA, but I saw more then my share of them acting like jerks to Jackets fans.

RogerSterling

Aug 25, 2013
The service is worth the premium price at the rBar imo, but I understand others looking for a more affordable joint too. I actually go to alot less games than I used to because of ticket prices and changes in my life (kids) so I'm not knocking anyone for stretching a buck.

Premium price at R Bar? Don't ever visit a big city, you'd die of price shock.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
As for the Pens fans at the game Saturday night. The ones in my section were quite nice and approachable, some a little drunk but not as obnoxious as the 2011 group that were around us. . Previous years I could equate them to Sabre fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad