GDT: Game 12 - Dallas Stars @ Winnipeg Jets - Tuesday, November 8th, 2022 - 7:00pm CST - TSN3 - CJOB/POWER 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Tonight's game could be described as “The Battle for the Central”, with the 7-3-1 Winnipeg Jets hosting the 8-3-1 Dallas Stars. The home team is coming off of a 4-0 shutout victory over the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday afternoon and have won two in a row, while the Stars had a 6-2 beat down of the Edmonton Oilers in their last game and have won three in a row. This will be quite a test for Winnipeg and here's hoping they play better than they did in their first meeting with Dallas, which was a 4-1 loss back on October 17th, 2022 in the Lone Star state. The Stars have scored nineteen more goals than they have given up, but the Jets should be up for the game, as Head Coach Rick Bowness will want to exact revenge on his former team...

With tonight being Filipino Heritage Night, let's look as some interesting facts...

lkjhgfhjkl-1-min-5.jpg.webp

Winnipeg is home to 77,305 Filipinos, making up the third largest Filipino community in Canada by total population. However, Filipinos make up a greater percentage of the Winnipeg population (8.7%) than any other city in Canada. The Filipino community in Winnipeg is the largest visible minority group in Winnipeg ahead of the Chinese-Canadians and Indo-Canadians (but excluding Indigenous Canadians, who are not counted as a "visible minority" by Statistics Canada). Winnipeg is home to the oldest Filipino community in Canada with immigration to Winnipeg beginning before 1950. Winnipeg was home to the largest Filipino community before the 1980s. About 1 out of 10 Filipinos in Canada call Winnipeg home. There is also a Filipino community center called The Philippine Canadian Centre of Manitoba (PCCM) providing social and service to the Filipino community and also holds events such as Folklorama. There are also Filipino newspapers such as The Pilipino Express News Magazine, The Filipino Journal, and Ang Peryodiko. There is also a radio station, CKJS, which broadcasts Filipino related news, music, lifestyle and much more...

philippino%2Bcentre%2Bihor%2Bcap.JPG

Winnipeg's Filipino population is largely concentrated in the West End and North End areas of the city. The neighbourhood around Sargent Avenue and Arlington Street is 45% Filipino, and the neighbourhood around Sargent Avenue and Wall Street is 47% Filipino.

Filipinos in Winnipeg contribute greatly to the local economy. Jollibee, a well known global Filipino fast food chain, has its first 2 Canadian locations established in this city...

Jollibee-Winnipeg-Grand-Opening-copy.jpg

The Philippines is home to the world’s longest underground river. Deep underneath the St Paul’s Mountain Range in the island of Palawan is the Puerta Princesa Subterranean River National Park. It was created millions of years ago, stretching 24km beneath the mountains. The longest navigable underground river, it’s since become a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is recognized as one of the Seven Wonders of Nature...

puerta-princesa.jpg

There are at least 175 languages spoken in the Philippines and at least 171 of them are considered ‘living’ languages. You’ll have no trouble being understood though since more than 52 million people speak English, making it the fifth largest English-speaking nation in the world.

Other languages include Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilocano, Hiligaynon and Bicolano, as well as four tribal dialects that are not known to have any living speakers.

200px-Philippine_languages_per_region.png

Basketball is a national obsession in the Philippines. It’s thought that the love affair began under American Colonial rule during the early twentieth century, when it was first introduced into the public school system as a women’s game. Today it’s everywhere, from makeshift hoops on street corners to dedicated sports centres.

The Philippines professional league is Asia’s first and also one of the oldest in the world — second only to the NBA...

Jeepneys are synonymous with the Philippines. After World War II, American troops left behind thousands of surplus Jeeps. Resourceful Filipinos cobbled these together and converted them into transport vehicles that can hold up to 20 people at one time. They’re easy to spot, usually painted in vibrant colours with slogans emblazoned across them...

image-asset.png

The national bird is the Philippine Eagle which is also, quite unfairly, known as the monkey-eating eagle. It doesn’t actually eat monkeys, but its prey isn’t exactly immodest in size — pigs, snakes and bats. With a wing span of around two metres, it isn’t difficult to see how it manages this. Maybe we should get one of those to get that monkey off of Kyle Connor's back...

It is also considered one of the rarest and most powerful birds in the world and killing one comes at a hefty price — 12 years imprisonment...

Noblest_Flyer_Philippine_Eagle.jpg

Camiguin Island in the Philippines is home to more volcanoes than towns. Photos of this island province look just like they've fallen out of the pages of a National Geographic magazine. Located in the Bohol Sea, this idyllic island is known for its distinctive pear shape and sweet lanzones (a type of Asian fruit).

Its status as a volcanic island has led it to be given a rather Game of Thrones nickname… ‘Island Born of Fire’. There are seven volcanoes on the island versus just five towns and it has the highest number of volcanoes per square kilometre anywhere on the planet! Luckily for the residents, there hasn’t been an eruption since the mid-1950s...

camiguin_island_beach_philippines.jpg

The reticulated python is the longest snake in the world. It can be found in the jungles of the Philippines, as well as in other Asian countries, including Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, to name a few.

With (maybe questionable) reports of some reaching up to 10 metres in length (that is longer than a giraffe is tall!), these slippery characters kill by constriction. Usually, they will hunt small mammals and birds if they can get them, however, they are one of the only snake species to have been classified as a danger to human life.
The reticulated python is one of the only snakes to prey on humans and they are responsible for more than a handful of deaths around the world. In 1932, a teenage boy was eaten by his pet python which was 7.6 metres long. His shape was recognized inside the snake...

220px-Reticulated-catch.jpg

In 1975, Roberto del Rosario of the Philippines secured a patent for the first karaoke machine in the world. First called the Sing-Along System, the Japanese gave it the name karaoke, which means “singing with accompaniment”.

Sing-Along-System.jpg

The Yo-Yo is the world’s second oldest toy and has been around for centuries in China, Egypt and Greece, however the word “yo-yo” and the modern day version is thanks to Pedro Flores, a Filipino immigrant living in the US.

Filipinos became experts yo-yo makers carving them out of wood, and as a child, Pedro would play with a basic version of the toy.
In the 1920’s, Pedro Flores took this toy to the US, adapting the style of the yo-yo to what we know today. He began manufacturing it, became the first person to mass produce it from his small factory in California, and showed crowds of delighted people different tricks...

Flores-1000x650.png

With approximately 11% of the population working overseas, money sent home from overseas workers surpasses foreign direct investment as a source of foreign currency in the Philippines. In 2020, remittances accounted for almost a tenth of the national GDP...

12062018_10_philippines.jpg

So let's celebrate Filipino heritage...along with a Winnipeg win tonight! Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Thanks to: Filipino Canadians - Wikipedia, 7 Interesting Facts About The Philippines, 21 Phenomenal Facts About the Philippines You Might Not Know!, 80 Curious Philippines Facts That You Never Knew About and Interesting, Surprising & Fun Facts about the Philippines

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
I have a bad feeling about this one. Hopefully we can start scoring a little bit more. We are near the bottom of the league when it comes to goals. Connor needs to get going sooner than later.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

Aye, behold deBoer festooned with briefest shine,
And wait for their brave day to sink in Dallas’ night;
Yo, I see the port wine-faced Benn past prime,
And Glendening’s sable curls all silver'd o'er with white;
With Oettinger upon his knees, face wiped free of joy
With Heiskenen and Hinz nearly skateless in the third,
And Pavelski's happy green now rotted, the stench cloy
Borne by Seguin with his sad grease dripping beard,
Then of Jets hidden beauties do I no question make,
That thou Perfecto among the wastes of Stars must go,
As sweets tips and reads do force Dallas to chug cake
Stars’ plays die as fast as they see others grow;
And nothing 'gainst Helly's wall can make offence
Stars shutter’d - not to best him when he takes thee hence.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Thankyou Mac and now…

“Attention, All Hands!
This is not a drill,
Incoming fighters,
Launch all aircraft!”

We’ll need a total effort with this one, it’ll show us compression across all the components cylinders of the new systems put in place, and what’s working.
Not our first rodeo.
Wing men, stick to your leaders..
Go Jets GO!

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Thankyou Mac and now…

“Attention, All Hands!
This is not a drill,
Incoming fighters,
Launch all aircraft!”

We’ll need a total effort with this one, it’ll show us compression across all the components cylinders of the new systems put in place, and what’s working.
Not our first rodeo.
Wing men, stick to your leaders..
Go Jets GO!

and ........ interchangeable parts ............ :sarcasm:

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
As much as I hate our schedule so far from a fan perspective, I don't think it could have worked out better.

We got a run of tough games to get the team understanding what we need to work on and managed to come out of it in a great position.

Now we have some really nice gaps where we can actually work on stuff in practice, play a game or 2 and then have more practice to fine tune and reinforce behaviors.

I just want to survive until we get Fly back and Connor starts finding the net. I was really hoping he'd hit 50/100 this year but that seems unlikely now.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Thanks @macmaroon

I have had the pleasure of many pleasant experiences with the Filipino Community, first one when I was about 7-8 years old. A man named Huver Yap who worked with my Dad, he hosted a family gathering. I was amazed by the amount of people and food there. Filipinos do by far the best parties! It really isn’t even close.
Just last week I met a few Filipino men here in town and all were so friendly and welcoming!

I expect a sweet revenge game from the Jets to beat these pesky Green wannabes.

GO JETS GO

:jets:jets:jets

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Cool GDT, Filipino people have always been so kind in my experience.

GJG!
I feel so lucky to have been able to experience some of the Filipino culture, both in Winnipeg from the great community there, and also at work where we have a large presence in the Philippines. I was so close to traveling there for work pre-pandemic, and I am hoping I finally get there this year!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
As much as I hate our schedule so far from a fan perspective, I don't think it could have worked out better.

We got a run of tough games to get the team understanding what we need to work on and managed to come out of it in a great position.

Now we have some really nice gaps where we can actually work on stuff in practice, play a game or 2 and then have more practice to fine tune and reinforce behaviors.

I just want to survive until we get Fly back and Connor starts finding the net. I was really hoping he'd hit 50/100 this year but that seems unlikely now.
I know why Connor isn't scoring, It's his goal song. He can borrow mine for a while, then he'll start scoring like crazy. :naughty::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad