GDT: Game 12: Columbus at Pittsburgh | 11/1 7PM EDT

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Bob continues to struggle, I can't help but wonder if Ian Clark should get fired. Maybe he's making Bob think too much, I don't know...

We have no basis to speculate on the quality of the goalie coach.

But there's something wrong in Bob's head. His positioning is well off...to such a degree that it probably comes from mindset not training.

Last edited:

Paisano*

We have no basis to speculate on the quality of the goalie coach.

But there's something wrong in Bob's head. His positioning is well off. To a degree that probably comes from mindset not training.

Hmmm... We heard that same analogy of Mason, that he was a head case. There seems to be a trend going here....player in Jackets + Vezina = tank

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Mason never won the Vezina. Calder is not a Vezina.

Quite a leap, faulty logic, no "trend".

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Mason never won the Vezina. Calder is not a Vezina.

Quite a leap, faulty logic, no "trend".

No no no. Don't you see, one CBJ goalie has success and fails after, must happen again when another CBJ goalie has success

major major

Feb 18, 2013
LOL these Mason comparisons are funny. (and not accurate)

Let me diagram this: Before you assume that a problem that the Jackets might experience is because we are specially selected by some divine being to have awful problems, you should ask whether this is a common problem in hockey.

Case in point: Are goalies inconsistent nutcases around the league? >>>> Yes.

Do defences commit several turnovers per game? >>>> Yes.

Paisano*

Lets just hope these 'late starts' he keeps having doesn't get too late.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You guys forgot one thing for our sky is falling GDT. Allow me to put it in.

Vinny Prospal wouldn't have let this happen

You're right, I said this during the game, he is sorely missed in the room when games like this happen. He wasn't afraid to stand up and challenge the team to play harder or practice harder. I would take him over a number of our players right now. Dorse also wouldn't let games like tonight pass by like a fart in the wind without some push back

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Not exactly sure why Jared Boll is in the lineup tonight. Not seeing energy, nor hitting, nor fighting...No spark. Instead Blake Comeau tries to do his job. I know that Boll is a fan favorite, but I just don't see it, never have, probably never will.

I have always been a big supporter of Boll, but he's not himself this season, I think he's still hurt from last year. He doesn't have the edge, isn't fighting, isn't skating as well, and not really hitting as much. He used to be the first one in a scrum, and I value him as a player a lot, we need more grit on this team, but right now, I would have to say, he needs to sit out and get healthy and bring up Bass for a shot, at least he will fight!

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Pens announcers seem to think so. "Jackets are lucky the Pens are in their division now to sell those tickets to the Pen games". Blegh. The worst part, they aren't acting facetious about it. They are genuine "we think we are better than you"-ers.

After we drew 13k for a Friday night game against the Leafs and 4k of them(at least) were Toronto fans, I expect the worst tomorrow...

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I know that goal was meaningless Jeff, but would it kill you to announce it?

He's absolutely Brutal, I can't take him anymore...he misses goals, gets excited when absolutely nothing is going on, doesn't get excited when something does and says the wrong names all the time. Plus he was praising the Pens all night long and I don't want that out of my homer announcers, sorry

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I don't want to be doomsday, but this team has some issues. Gaborik's stats look good, but he isn't really playing really well. He seems to float around a lot, much like a Zherdev used to do. He can finish at times, and makes the occasional good setup. But I don't see him driving hard to the net, or flying through the neutral zone, or back checking hard. I don't agree with calling him out in the media, that never works with European players, but he needs to play a more complete game.

Anisimov is the same way, he disappears for long stretches of time. Letestu has been useless this year, as has Umberger-though I was happy he took the body tonight, Atkinson isn't bringing it every night and Boll seems to be hurt-I've always been a supporter of his but he just isn't skating as well or getting in the scrums or fighting. In a game like tonight, when it's out of hand, you need to set the tone for the next game and they kinda just floated to the end with no push back. They should have been MAD and hitting and trying to stir something up! I didn't see that, look at the Philly/Caps game tonight, that's the kind of pissed off I want to see when they are down 3 in the third and playing that team the next night!

On D- Wiz is a turnover machine, Johnson hasn't been very good either and Nikitin has been terrible. Savard has been a nice surprise but was brutal on the first goal tonight...

I think they should bring Erixon up, we need some puck movers on the back end. I would also bring up Bass and let him bring some toughness back to this team, we used to hit like crazy and fight and make it hard on the other teams last season, this year they are all tentative.

I'm counting the days until we have Calvert, Horton and Boone back in the lineup, we miss them badly right now. When we get healthy, I think Letestu and Umberger will be the odd men out...imo

I start C-Mac tomorrow, Bob hasn't been terrible, but he's struggling to find his game and C-Mac deserves a game.

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
The performance of this team so far is making a mockery if the PR. They are getting outs killed and out worked.

Paisano*

I don't want to be doomsday, but this team has some issues. Gaborik's stats look good, but he isn't really playing really well. He seems to float around a lot, much like a Zherdev used to do. He can finish at times, and makes the occasional good setup. But I don't see him driving hard to the net, or flying through the neutral zone, or back checking hard. I don't agree with calling him out in the media, that never works with European players, but he needs to play a more complete game.

Anisimov is the same way, he disappears for long stretches of time. Letestu has been useless this year, as has Umberger-though I was happy he took the body tonight, Atkinson isn't bringing it every night and Boll seems to be hurt-I've always been a supporter of his but he just isn't skating as well or getting in the scrums or fighting. In a game like tonight, when it's out of hand, you need to set the tone for the next game and they kinda just floated to the end with no push back. They should have been MAD and hitting and trying to stir something up! I didn't see that, look at the Philly/Caps game tonight, that's the kind of pissed off I want to see when they are down 3 in the third and playing that team the next night!

On D- Wiz is a turnover machine, Johnson hasn't been very good either and Nikitin has been terrible. Savard has been a nice surprise but was brutal on the first goal tonight...

I think they should bring Erixon up, we need some puck movers on the back end. I would also bring up Bass and let him bring some toughness back to this team, we used to hit like crazy and fight and make it hard on the other teams last season, this year they are all tentative.

I'm counting the days until we have Calvert, Horton and Boone back in the lineup, we miss them badly right now. When we get healthy, I think Letestu and Umberger will be the odd men out...imo

I start C-Mac tomorrow, Bob hasn't been terrible, but he's struggling to find his game and C-Mac deserves a game.
Good post! Agree 100%

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I liked that game last night, I think for most of the night Columbus overwhelmed Pitt, the difference was in the net for both clubs. If we play like that every game of the year we win 50 games.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I liked that game last night, I think for most of the night Columbus overwhelmed Pitt, the difference was in the net for both clubs. If we play like that every game of the year we win 50 games.

Nice post Doug. Nice to see another realist.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

If fleury wasn't so sharp we easily had a quick 1 or 2 goal lead in the first. Completely changes that game.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

Nice post Doug. Nice to see another realist.

this is the way I feel, as well. Disclosure, I wasn't able to watch the 3rd, but the first two periods were encouraging except for Bob. There were times when the Pens kept the puck in our zone for too long, but there were just as many times or more that we held it in theirs. Fluery made a lot of very good saves. Bob? Not so many.

Obviously, we need to start winning these games. I think they're playing the right way and results will come (but we can't afford to wait around on results much longer)

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Good post ca. Nice to see another realist.

Thanks! I wanted to add, just because we took a lot of shots, doesn't mean we played well particularly. The problem with most of our shots is they are either far away at the points, nobody is creating traffic in front of the net or screening the goalie, so it's a routine save. We need Thomas Holmstrom to come out of retirement and park his butt in front of the net! I think Boll could be a similar player if he tried. A big body in front to create havoc. So it's always good to get a lot of shots, but how many quality scoring chances were there? That's the important stat

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If fleury wasn't so sharp we easily had a quick 1 or 2 goal lead in the first. Completely changes that game.

I also think Pitt let off the gas in the second and third, knowing they have back to back with us and not wanting to embarrass us and give us motivation for tonight. It may have changed the first period, but we didn't bring our best last night and deserved to lose. Off the R bar now to pre-game and defend against the Pitt jerks! Have a great game guys, Go Jackets!

Aspie with attitude

May 9, 2013
At some point you have to let go of those years. The people running the organization then are not the people running things now. The Columbus and Atlanta situations are not even close, I would say apples and oranges but at least they are both fruit. If you can't see progress is being made, well I just don't know what to say. Change of the degree necessary doesn't just happen, it takes work, it takes a little time and it will need support.

I know that and you know that but I speaking from a average fan's viewpoint.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad