Umberger - Anisimov - Dorsett
Calvert - Letestu - Prospal
Gillies - MacKenzie - Boll

Tyutin - Nikitin
Erixon - Johnson
Holden - Goulobef

Bobrovsky
Mason

Savard (Scratch) - Aucoin (injury) - Atkinson (IR) - Wisniewski (injury) - Moore (injury)

flames_logo.png

Cammalleri - Tanguay - Iginla
Hudler - Stajan - Cervenka
Glencross - Backlund - Stempniak
Begin - Jones - Comeau

Giordano - Bouwmeester
Brodie - Wideman
Butler - Smith

Irving

Preview: http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?id=2012020146

Season series: This is the first of three meetings this season. The Blue Jackets beat the Flames three times last season, although three of the four games went to a shootout.

Big story: How will Calgary respond to the loss of goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff? The Flames' longtime starter will miss at least Thursday's contest against Columbus with a lower-body injury, and the Blue Jackets will look to improve a dismal goal differential in his absence.

Team Scope:

Flames: Playing just their second away game of the season, the Flames entered Joe Louis Arena on Tuesday looking to earn two points for just the second time season. They got them, but might have come away worse for the wear. Goals from Jarome Iginla, Curtis Glencross, Dennis Wideman and Mark Giordano gave Calgary convincing 4-1 win, but the Flames and their fans held their collective breath near the end of the second period when Kiprusoff and Johan Franzen collided in the crease. Kiprusoff didn't come out for the third period; backup Leland Irving stopped all six shots he faced in relief.

Kiprusoff, who has played at least 70 games in each of the last seven seasons, is listed as day-to-day. He termed it a "short-term injury" after the announcement. To back up Irving, Calgary signed Danny Taylor from their AHL farm team in Abbotsford on Wednesday.

"You take for granted how good he is and how consistent he is," Iginla said. "He's a big part of our team."

Blue Jackets: Despite having played three more games than Calgary, Columbus remains just a point ahead of the Flames in the Western standings. The Jackets are also tied for lowest goals-per-game, with 1.90, and have scored two or fewer goals in seven of eight games. That was the case Tuesday against Los Angeles, when Columbus squandered three man advantages on the way to 4-2 loss at Nationwide Arena. During a four-minute power play in the third period, Columbus managed to test Jonathan Quick just once.

"I've talked about how your power play can create positive energy," coach Todd Richards said. "That four minutes were really just draining the clock. We spent more time working back to our zone than we did in the offensive zone. Our execution wasn't good."

Who's hot: The hottest player involved just recorded his first goal. Despite 31 shots and four assists thus far this season, Iginla's gritty goalmouth finish Tuesday was the 500-goal scorer's first of the 2012-13 campaign.

Injury report: Kiprusoff (lower body) and Anton Babchuk (shoulder) are day-to-day for Calgary; rookie forward. Sven Baertschi (hip) is week-to-week. … For Columbus, Adrian Aucoin (lower body), John Moore (lower body) and Cam Atkinson (ankle) are day-to-day. Nikita Nikitin is expected back by mid-February with an upper-body injury, while James Wisniewski is out indefinitely with a concussion.

Twitter News:

“@RobMixer: #CBJ morning skate about to get started at Nationwide Arena. Nikita Nikitin's out there and looks good to go for tonight.”

“@RobMixer: Sergei Bobrovsky is working in the usual starter's net today. Appears he will go tonight vs. Calgary. #CBJ”

“@RobMixer: A good sign is #CBJ D Adrian Aucoin rejoining the group for the morning skate. No timetable on his return, but positive nonetheless.”

“@smitchcd: Looks like #CBJ D David Savard will be the odd man out tonight.”

“@RobMixer: Richards, asked to assess the first 10 games: "No consistency, but we've had some good moments." #CBJ”

“@RobMixer: Same as yesterday. Moving slow, no timetable. RT @ryanfroelich: any new news on Wiz today? #CBJ”

Last edited:

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
We can not give up these valuable 4 points. Critical game in the race for 1st.

Play Umberger for 30 minutes and start Mason.

Go Flames!

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
We need to give up an early goal and not look back.
Start Bob, he's very good at giving up goals in the first couple of minutes (twice on the first shift).

m8n8

Oct 31, 2011
CGY games can get chippy. Hope CBJ can dig deep and wipe last game's underachievement off the books.

I may cancel cable.

Signed,
Disgusted by last game's performance, attitude, and determination.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't know why everyone is so disgusted with this season. We all knew what was going to happen this season. Every game like we played against Detroit is a gift. But really I go into every game expecting the outcome to be like how we played against LA. We just don't have the pieces to compete this season, ESPECIALLY this season.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I don't know why everyone is so disgusted with this season. We all knew what was going to happen this season. Every game like we played against Detroit is a gift. But really I go into every game expecting the outcome to be like how we played against LA. We just don't have the pieces to compete this season, ESPECIALLY this season.

Overall, I am more entertained and def. less disgusted overall than I have been since the beginning of the end of the Hitchcock era.

edit: let me throw in a few more OVERALLS for good measure. Overall, overall, overall.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Let me break this down for you. We have 7 points out of 10 games. THat would be on pace to get 57 out of 82 points.

Last season the top team had 111 points (Vancouver). The league Average (15-16th place teams) had 92 points. The last place CBJ had 65 points.

An average team that didn't make the playoffs (point totals of 14 teams that did not qualify for the playoffs divided by 14) was 81.6 points last season.

So yes 3-6-1 is horrible. It's worst than last season which was bad enough.

Getting to 82 points (.500) is bad hockey. We can't even get a whiff of that.

bester vaive

Fear the Titan!
Nov 8, 2010
It's a bad day to be a Calgary Flame. The Jackets, 3-1. Big game from Officer Bob (great avatar, stevo61) in Nationwide's Red Light District!

arudick

Jan 31, 2013
Montreal, Quebec

Agreed. How could anyone think we were going to be competitive going into this season? The building blocks and foundation is there, but still an extremely young team. Again, it is a GREAT draft class this year and we have 3 first round picks. Of course, you have to be optimistic. I do not want us to tank the season, in fact, I would love to show the league our competitive nature night in and night out (as JD said). This is the reality however. Although short, the season is still young!

As for tonight's game, it is a big one for sure. Gotta get wins on this home stand. California is after this and that is always a grueling trip for the team.:help:

bizzz*

The Jackets are going through growth pains. But at least you can see the grows now.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Let me break this down for you. We have 7 points out of 10 games. THat would be on pace to get 57 out of 82 points.

Last season the top team had 111 points (Vancouver). The league Average (15-16th place teams) had 92 points. The last place CBJ had 65 points.

An average team that didn't make the playoffs (point totals of 14 teams that did not qualify for the playoffs divided by 14) was 81.6 points last season.

So yes 3-6-1 is horrible. It's worst than last season which was bad enough.

Getting to 82 points (.500) is bad hockey. We can't even get a whiff of that.
What did you think us trading Nash for 2 depth players a prospect and a pick would suddenly cure our woe?

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
CBJ quickly getting into "meh" territory for me. Start having the game on in the background instead of sitting and really watching. I think a good draft this year would really go a long way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad