GDT: Game 11 - Chicago Blackhawks @ Winnipeg Jets - Saturday, November 5th, 2022 - 2:00pm CDT - TSN3 - CJOB/POWER 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
The Winnipeg Jets face the Chicago Blackhawks in today's game. The Jets are coming off of a 3-2 overtime victory against the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday night, giving them a record of 6-3-1. The Blackhawks surprisingly have a record of 5-4-2 and are coming off of a 2-1 extra frame win against the Los Angeles Kings, also on Thursday night. Winnipeg's own Jonathan Toews and Max Domi will be in the lineup for the visitors in this afternoon's match.

frank_chicago2.jpg

Even though it isn't “My Kind of Town”, we all know Chicago is home to the Bears, Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, and the Blackhawks, among other teams. But here are a few facts that you might not know...

chicago-pro-sport-teams-movie-poster-prints.jpg

Receiving millions of visitors annually, the Willis Tower (formerly known as Sears Tower) is one of Chicago’s most popular attractions. It is the second tallest building in the Western Hemisphere. On a clear day, visitors can see four states from the Skydeck: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan....

1200px-Willis_Tower_From_Lake.jpg

A view of the Skydeck...

image.jpg

Where did the idea of putting paint in a can with a spray tip come from? Chicago paint salesman Ed Seymour actually invented this artistic substance, which is now used to create colorful works in public spaces all over the city...Is that what they call it now, I always thought of it as graffiti...

Chicago_Wicker_FR-1080x710.jpg.webp

Chicagoan Jimmy Dewar worked as a manager at the famed Hostess Brands factory. During that time, Dewar wanted to create a pastry that was filled with cream. His invention, the Twinkie, launched in 1930 and was named after an ad for “Twinkle Toe Shoes” that Dewar came across. The original Twinkie was filled with banana cream, but was replaced with vanilla cream during WWII when bananas became scarce...

1e2c7d84-3022-11e2-8e2a-e63e9384eaae.jpg

Flowing through downtown Chicago, the Chicago River has a fascinating history. Not only does this river run through various systems and canals, but it is also the only river in the world that flows backwards. A reversal technique was introduced for sanitation reasons to divert the sewage away from Lake Michigan’s water supply. The reversal of the river was recognized as being the largest public earth-moving project ever completed. It was also acknowledged as a great engineering achievement...

99.jpg

Interestingly, Chicago did not get its nickname “The Windy City” simply because of its breeze. One of the first known instances of Chicago’s “windy city” nickname came from a New York Sun reporter named Charles A. Dana in 1893, who editorialized that the city’s politicians were “full of hot air.” Chicago and New York were in a head-to-head competition at the time to host the next World’s Fair, and Chicago’s “windbag” advocates were not shy about campaigning for their hometown in order to win. Despite Dana’s best efforts to discredit Chicago as a “windy city”, the 1893 World’s Fair was held in Illinois, not New York.

Even before the World’s Fair debate, there were other published instances of the windy city nickname. The Cincinnati Enquirer used the term in 1876 in reference to a tornado that blew through the city, while also capitalizing on the term’s double meaning to highlight local speakers who were “full of wind.”

From there, the nickname stuck, and the rest is history...

c35ab4f1-5028-4da5-835a-f125e6ed9efd.jpg

The name "Chicago" comes from the French interpretation of the Native American word for "striped skunk," which was also the name given to the wild onions that grew near the Chicago River. I knew something stunk about the Blackhawks...

1200px-Pep%C3%A9_Le_Pew.svg.png

At the end of the 19th century, almost the entire city of Chicago was lifted. Buildings were raised over a period of 20 years in order to match the new street level, which had been built up to accommodate a new sewage and draining system...

392px-Briggs_house.jpg

The initial spark of the Great Fire of 1871 is unknown, although it is commonly believed that a cow belonging to Catherine O' Leary kicked over a lantern starting the fire, but this story is thought to be unlikely. The fire was able to spread quickly due to the overwhelming number of wooden structures, sidewalks, and streets. The fire department also initially travelled in the wrong direction before finally arriving at the out of control blaze.

The Great Fire of 1871 burned over three and half square miles, destroying 18,000 structures and taking the lives of over 300 people. However, on the same day as Chicago's Great Fire, there was an even deadlier and costlier, yet less known fire in Peshtigo, Wisconsin.

Trash and debris from the Great Fire of 1871 was used to fill in a portion of Lake Michigan to expand Chicago's Grant Park...

Chicago_in_Flames_by_Currier_%26_Ives%2C_1871_%28cropped%29.jpg

The first Ferris wheel was invented in 1893 for the World's Columbian Exhibition in Chicago. The ride was over 264 feet tall and featured passenger cars that weighed over 1,200 lbs and were roughly the size of a city bus. Although the original was demolished in 1906, a 15-story replica can be found at Navy Pier of Chicago...

Original_Ferris.jpeg

In 1918, over 100 waiters were arrested for poisoning bad tippers in Chicago. Yikes...

In 2013, the nationwide pest control company Orkin announced that Chicago was the most rat infested city in the US, followed by Los Angeles, Washington D.C., New York, and San Francisco. Chicago also won the city with the most bedbug infestations for the years of 2012 and 2013...

maxresdefault.jpg

Let's hope that Chicago doesn't have any “bite” today... Go Jets Go!:hockey:

Thanks to: 9 Fun and Interesting Facts About Chicago, 50 Interesting Facts about Chicago | FactRetriever.com and 55 Facts about Chicago that Will Leave You Intrigued

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Another deceptively tough match against a team that's surprising so far this year.

I want to see more of the jet team that's pushing the play up the ice, controlling our blueline, and being aggressive in all three zones.

I think we need to shake up our PP units. Pp2 has been more dangerous looking. As others have said, Perfettis puck control and passing have earned him pp1 time.

I'd like to see PP1 to be a control unit that is very fluid and breaks down the box.

Pp2 should be a unit that plays more like a 5v5 group that funnels the puck to the points and shoots with traffic, using the extra man to create isolated odd man situations to keep possession in the o zone

Perfetti Schiefele Connor
Morrissey Schmidt

Gagner Dubois Wheeler
Pionk Dillon

Pionk and Dillon should be staying late to work on creating net lanes and point shot accuracy

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Another deceptively tough match against a team that's surprising so far this year.

I want to see more of the jet team that's pushing the play up the ice, controlling our blueline, and being aggressive in all three zones.

I think we need to shake up our PP units. Pp2 has been more dangerous looking. As others have said, Perfettis puck control and passing have earned him pp1 time.

I'd like to see PP1 to be a control unit that is very fluid and breaks down the box.

Pp2 should be a unit that plays more like a 5v5 group that funnels the puck to the points and shoots with traffic, using the extra man to create isolated odd man situations to keep possession in the o zone

Morrissey Schmidt

Gagner Dubois Wheeler
Pionk Dillon

Pionk and Dillon should be staying late to work on creating net lanes and point shot accuracy
Schmidt can't hit the net either, maybe going 5 forwards on PP1 would be better. Scheifele, Connor, Wheeler, Dubois and Perfetti . And when Ehlers is back switch Wheeler out with Ehlers.

• Wow
Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Schmidt can't hit the net either, maybe going 5 forwards on PP1 would be better. Scheifele, Connor, Wheeler, Dubois and Perfetti . And when Ehlers is back switch Wheeler out with Ehlers.
Lol that's terrifying. I wouldn't see Schmidt as a shooter on that top unit, more a distributor. You already have 81 and 55 on both half walls as 1t options.

Schmidt is also a better shooter than he's shown so far this year. Looks like his timing is off a bit.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg

Morrissey Schmidt

Gagner Dubois Wheeler
Pionk Dillon

Completely agree on the PP bit, Jet.

Perfetti deserves that top PP time now and I think he could really get Scheif and Connor going with the looks he will provide for those guys alone. Their shots need to be the main threat on our PP to be at its best. Cole is the perfect facilitator for that to be the case, IMO.

Excited to see the new jerseys on the ice today.

GJG.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Lol that's terrifying. I wouldn't see Schmidt as a shooter on that top unit, more a distributor. You already have 81 and 55 on both half walls as 1t options.

Schmidt is also a better shooter than he's shown so far this year. Looks like his timing is off a bit.
I would only do it when Helly was starting.:laugh:

Reactions: AlaskaJet and Jet

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
And because i saw these guys last night our music today is from an all Canadian band Toque and 1 member is a huge Jets fan. The tide is rising, all Jets are firing. :nod:

I was at this show as well! Great show. 3 special guests! To any Hfboards Jet’s members who haven’t seen them. Toque is a Canadian super group of sorts. Each member has played or is currently playing with some major act in Music. (Guitarist plays for Shania Twain, Bass player and Singer are Members of Slash and the Conspirators) They do have a few of their own songs but their claim to fame is the band performs Canadian Classic Rock songs from the 70’s and 80’s and they do it amazingly. So if you get the chance get out and see them you will not be disappointed!

Go Jets Go. I'm an Original Six guy and after the Montreal Canadiens Chicago is the team I cheered for the loudest. There is nothing sweeter though than beating an Original Six team. We are 2-1 in that respect. Today we go to 3-1.
That and we are 2-0 with Bones behind the bench! I like our chances in this game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad