Post-Game Talk: Game: 1 Caps vs. Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Seriously. I hope we sweep them so we only have to deal with this for 3 more games. Man they are completely delusional.

I think best case scenario for this Caps team is a no-injury 7 game win so they won't have any time off between the Leafs and Pens. Won't happen, so they'll come out flat in G1 of R2 again. Maybe they'll luck their way into another G1 win.

I'm good with the result tonight, but I would rather have seen them not go down 2-0 to give the Leafs hope. The weak game winner from Willy should plant some doubt in the Leafs' heads though.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
In playoffs what matters is win your game. They won. Chicago lost. So, what do you have to be happy about? A W. And the satisfaction of Tom Wilson ruining their day.

Come on dude...talk about jaded fandom. A win in the playoffs is a win. They played poorly against a game opponent after a little layoff and WON. As the game wore on, they carried the play. PLENTY to be happy about tonight and feel positive about heading into game 2.

I'm not jaded. I really want to be happy go lucky but this team won't let me. I've simply heard this story far too many times. If we come out on Saturday and play with the desire shown in the 3rd and OT from the start then I'll be happier.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I'm not jaded. I really want to be happy go lucky but this team won't let me. I've simply heard this story far too many times. If we come out on Saturday and play with the desire shown in the 3rd and OT from the start then I'll be happier.

I feel like I have been waiting for that for 10+ years.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
What's to be happy about? We eked out a win after spotting the team we should dominate 2 goals. I don't see that as great indicator that this team has learned anything from their history of playoff failure.

Only Caps fans can treat a playoff win like a loss. You play to win the game. Whatever this fantasy performance you are demanding in a game 1 of the first round to finally show they have learned whatever lesson you need them to show they have learned they still would have just won the game.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Only Caps fans can treat a playoff win like a loss. You play to win the game. Whatever this fantasy performance you are demanding in a game 1 of the first round to finally show they have learned whatever lesson you need them to show they have learned they still would have just won the game.

I'm not expecting a fantasy performance. I expect effort and let the chips fall where they may. I personally don't think this performance was good enough to go very far and I will criticize them for it regardless of the outcome. If they come out and play a better game on Saturday I will say so. If they don't I'll criticize them again.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I personally don't think this performance was good enough to go very far and I will criticize them for it regardless of the outcome.

Is there some 'teams only go as far as the quality of their round 1 game 1 performance, regardless of actual result' stat I am not aware of?

Don't get me wrong. I also don't believe they will go very far if they play every game like this one but IMO winning games when you don't play particularly well is definitely part of going far in the playoffs. You aren't going to play well every game and getting results when you don't play well is part of the game.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Is there some 'teams only go as far as the quality of their round 1 game 1 performance, regardless of actual result' stat I am not aware of?

Don't get me wrong. I also don't believe they will go very far if they play every game like this one but IMO winning games when you don't play particularly well is definitely part of going far in the playoffs. You aren't going to play well every game and getting results when you don't play well is part of the game.

If this is as far as they could get up for round 1 game 1 do you really think they have the mental fortitude to win a cup? The good thing is it is only game one so they have a lot of time to get it going. We tried the "flip the switch" method last year and that didn't go very far either.

thelebaron

Feb 25, 2013
san franfrisco
whos a faster team, penguins or leafs? all of the turnovers and almost instant shots by the leafs were giving me flashbacks to last years series against the pens.

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
If this is as far as they could get up for round 1 game 1 do you really think they have the mental fortitude to win a cup? The good thing is it is only game one so they have a lot of time to get it going. We tried the "flip the switch" method last year and that didn't go very far either.

You think Chicago has the mental fortitude to win a cup?

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Had to step out after the second period. :(

Looks like they carried the play in the third period and OT. Looked eerily like the Edmonton/SJ game. Caps stuck with it and gradually took over the game and methodically grinded it out.

Congrats to Wilson on his first career playoff goal and for being the first Cap in history to score his first playoff goal in OT. Great forecheck by Beags to cause the Leaf defender to panic a bit. More of that please. :)

I expect the Caps to play much better in Game 2. So far, so good.

Last edited:

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
I usually get on Wilson for not being to great with the puck, but that was a great shot. He was looking off the shot (at beagle) until just after he released it. You can tell that Andersen wasn't expecting it.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I watching the game at a bww with no sound. They seemed to come out disjointed. They have up awkward looking goals and then they shut them down. I didn't expect the caps A game after layoff. They won. 15 more to go.
Division winners Montreal lost. Edmonton lost. Chicago lost. The Caps won. Next please

The Oil didn't win their division. Otherwise I agree with this.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Good to see the Caps win games like this.

The performance does need to improve, but in the past the Caps would have lost games like this.

Filmstudy

Apr 14, 2017
That game certainly had me screaming at the TV like most close games do. Cliff notes:

--The Leafs were clearly the faster team, particularly in the first period.
--I feared they would be able to outskate the Caps for the entire game, but they were unable to maintain their intensity.
--Holtby was the best player in the building, not Anderson as some would tell you. No matter how many saves you make, you can't allow 2 goals that soft and be the first star.
--Hyman held back Matthews and their first line with a couple of offsides.
--The leafs had a huge faceoff advantage early (it was 22-15 early) that eroded as the game went on (they still won 54% for the night.
--Kuznetsov is someone the Caps need more from in these playoffs. He had 3 giveaways, but wasn't able to pick any pockets in the offensive zone as he often has.
--The Caps survived a game where they lost in a mess of categories, some of which are correctable (or corrected as the game went on).
--In particular, the Caps defenders need to pick it up in game 2, both in terms of keeping the slot clear and making cleaner breakouts from their own zone. As a unit they had 7 giveaways and 2 takeaways which simply can't happen.
--The Caps 4th line looked good and it was nice to see them on the ice for the game winner.
--I can't imagine the Caps will come out as flat in game 2 and this game might have been just the fire they need lit underneath them.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
This.

Well, after complaining about 14 all year, i suppose i oughta eat some crow. He came up big in the clutch. Just as txpd, in the midst of my season-long ****fest about 14, said 14 was brought in to do.

I thought Holtby settled in and played a strong game after the two early goals. Looked calm and confident as game wore on.

I thought 22 was fantastic. Dyamic and aggressive on the rush. Showed composure and spark even as others (like someone who shall remain ... our captain) seemed to be shrinking from the moment.

92 had some soft-*** giveaways in our end, but had good jump through neutral zone. That was a slick damn play which MoJo almost scored off the pass from Williams to Kuz and then Kuz to 90. Andersen made solid snatch to save that one.

The good news is, we played nervous and out-of-sync but still got a win.

Let's do better Saturday, starting with 8, 19, 74 and 27.

That really is the amazing thing about this team is that it is has SO MANY weapons, that even when some of the weapons are misfiring, and there are plenty of others to pick up the slack.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Come on dude...talk about jaded fandom. A win in the playoffs is a win. They played poorly against a game opponent after a little layoff and WON. As the game wore on, they carried the play. PLENTY to be happy about tonight and feel positive about heading into game 2.

Yeah, no joke, I jumped off my couch when Willy scored. My wife just laughed and shook her head... "you and your Caps, can we go to bed now?" :laugh:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Morning after, I feel pretty good. You could visibly see the pressure the Caps felt in the 1st period. It was like they forgot to play hockey. Leafs were loose and fast and totally deserved to be in front. The Caps did what veteran teams do and that was find their composure, settle their game, and find a way to win. As the game went on it become apparent who the better team was, although this game was indicative of why I wanted Boston. Toronto is fast, talented, well-coached, and unafraid. They're not deep or experienced yet, but they're going to be a force in a the not-too-distant future.

I thought Alzner, Carlson, and Ovechkin were the worst players on the ice for the Caps. Brutally bad games. I didn't see Orpik as the total liability that many of you did. Alzner was saved by Holtby at least half a dozen times, including one head-shaking sequence where he was weaving in the offensive zone with no real purpose and caused a needless 2-on-1 (played very well by Carlson, to his credit). I've been saying this for weeks / months and many here said they'll be better in the playoffs, but Carlzner simply has to be broken up. The problem with 27-74 is that neither can break the puck out of the zone -- Carlson is hurt (or the MonStars sucked away his power) and Alzner is a bit more mobile than a statue and treats the puck like a grenade -- so they either get hemmed in their zone or flip it to center and concede possession. I know he's the ironman, but I would scratch Alzner and play 88 with 74. Every pairing in that scenario has a defenseman who can be a 1-man breakout.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If the Caps aren't going to out-physical them, then they should put Schmidt in for Orpik (or Carlson if he isn't 100%)

Agreed. I had a feeling there wouldn't be the annual ramp up in playoff hitting. Outside of the annual monster Nisky hit, I cannot recall Ovi or Willy leaving any marks.

If Ovi and Willy are not hitting, this diminishes the advantage those 2 can bring. Those are 2 of the premier hitters in the league.

I realize the irony in saying that after Willy takes the lead in the John Druce Award, so we can talk about Ovi who outside of falling down on a rush don't remember much about. Big hits soften up Dmen who become more likely to commit turnovers on subsequent rushes. It physically and mentally wears them down and is a difference maker in a string of 7 one goal games.

We played nice with the young Toronto D and we almost got burned. Maybe Barry is afraid of suspensions. I don't know, but think we can do more to wreak havoc on their defense.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Flukes of course. Garbage goals.

I loved the extra pass by Oshie on our first goal - great vision quick thinking smarts - and cool with the puck under pressure. We are going to take a series hit in the skill department if he bolts town.

And how about vintage Williams on his 2nd goal. Nylander a noob nervous spectator, had a great front row seat watching Willy storming the crease and pushing the puck in.

Willy storming down RW as someone noted, looked off the shot before rifling it top shelf. Great play - I am so happy for him. Head fakes/looking off defenders are a bit part of the game yet it gets little discussion.

Willy called Williams Willy in his post game interview.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad