GDT: Game 05 - Toronto Maple Leafs @ Winnipeg Jets - Saturday, October 22nd, 2022 - 6:00pm CDT - CBC/CITY/SNW - CJOB/POWER 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
With the release of the NHL's reverse retro jerseys, it got me thinking about what I could do for a topic.

giphy.gif

So let's go back, way back for this edition of the GDT...

Music plays...

DszoNZZUwAApWyB.jpg

Good evening hockey fans, I'm your host Dave Hodge and welcome to Hockey Night in Canada. On tonight's broadcast we have two early games. Those in Quebec and Eastern Canada will see the Montreal Canadiens take on the Minnesota North (Dallas) Stars, while those in Ontario and the West will see the Toronto Maple Leafs take on the Winnipeg Jets. Joining me to discuss tonight's match-ups is our video analyst, Howie Meeker...

howie-meeker3.jpg

Howie, what kind of game do you think will be played tonight?

Dave, the Leafs are coming off of a “Super” victory over that Minnesota North (Dallas) Stars in their last game, so they should be fired up for this one against the Jets.

What about Winnipeg, Howie? How do you think they will come out after the loss against the Atlanta Flames (Vegas Golden Knights)...

Dave, the Jets will have their new Head Coach behind the bench for the first time, so he should put some fire in their bellies, and they should come out with some gumption...

Now Howie, the Jets got off to a slow start the other night (video replay of game in background), what do they need to do to beat the Leafs...

(Speaking about the video) Now back that up, see Dave, they just let the opponents walk all over them in the opening frame. You can't do that and expect to win.

Thanks Howie. In the other game tonight, we go to Dick Irvin in Montreal, Dick...

05fa16f975d28faff35f9370a213da8120c18f86.png

Thank you Dave. The Canadiens have made a lot of changes this year with the addition of some new young talent. Yet, they continue to surprise teams with their play, and the Minnesota North (Dallas) Stars will be the next team to find out. Back to you in Toronto...

Thank you Dick. Calling the Toronto/Winnipeg game tonight will be Bob Cole and Harry Neale. Your thoughts...

cba980b80f09e802b19bb7ead3d5cf4f.png

Thank you Dave. Look Harry, this game is gonna be a good one, we've got two teams that have a lot of talent.

That's right Bob, you've got Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner for the Maple Leafs, who have only scored two goals between them, but you know they'll start putting them in very soon.

Harry, and on the Jets, they've got Mark Chefflee and Chuck Connors, who can score too, so it should be quite the match-up for tonight's game. Back to you Dave.

Thanks Bob and Harry. Now, to go to our round table, we have Brian McFarlane and Gary Dornhoefer. Guys, what are your feelings about the game tonight...

s-l500.jpg

Both teams are off to a slow start, but the game tonight will be decided by goaltending. The Jets will have Connor Hellebuyck, who has been playing well.

Gary Dornhoefer.jpg

But Brian, it's not all about the goaltending, it's about which team takes control of the game. Toronto is clearly the better team and should win the match.

Gary, I don't agree, the Jets will finally have Rick Bowness behind the bench and that should get the players motivated.

Dave Hodge.jpg

Sorry to interject gentlemen, but we have Big Bobby Clobber standing by...

Big Bobby Clobber.jpg

Hi Big Bobby.

Hi Big Dave.

Now Bobby, the Leafs just played two night's ago. How do you prepare for tonight's game?

Well, that's a very good question Dave, one that has a very good answer. You see to prepare for tonight's game, we either had to sharpen our skates or spend time with our wives. Needless to say, some of the guys will be playing with dull skates...

Bobby, what do you think about the Maple Leafs lineup...

Dull skates...hahaha....get it.

Oh I got it Bobby. Now about the Leafs lineup...

Well, you know, we got a good lineup, usually we start off with the smallest guy on the team and then each of us lines up behind him, and so on...

No Bobby, I was talking about the players on the ice...

The ones with the dull skates?

No Bobby, never mind. Thank you Big Bobby Clobber. Good luck tonight...

No that was last night...hahaha...

On tonight's broadcast, our first period intermission will feature Coach's Corner with Don Cherry and John Wells...

hqdefault.jpg

The second half of the Doubleheader tonight will feature the Buffalo Sabres at the Vancouver Canucks. Steve Armitage will preview this game in the second intermission...

FOOh-jnVUAUeg1l

The pucks are about to be dropped, so we will send you out to your appropriate games...

Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Laffs fans all in a lather as Simmonds is playing tonight. Apparently he is going to beat Jets players with his cane.
He was never a good player, so happy he's in the lineup.

I want to see more from Schiefele and Connor. If fly is back in id really like Connor to slide down with Dubois and Perfetti to play with 55. I just think that's more balanced.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Brilliant as alway @macmaroon

Wow what A CLASSIC back when hockey broadcasts were actually quite entertaining and informative.
Not so much now as THE AGENDA has taken over all things pop culture Including hockey telecasts if all things! It is a darn pity.

Dallas hammered the Lafs the other night so they well be battered and bruised especially “show my crack in public” Matthews.

1666444618502.jpeg

Anyways GO JETS GO……..it IS game of the year so far!

LETS continue The Stars mantra “Hit em high and hold ‘em!”:naughty:

:jets:jets:jets

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
So fake tough guy Mathews and cream puff Marner were harassed and hit by the Stars and the Leaf fan cried you can do that to our best players so they are going to dress a guy they deemed not needed at the start of the season. As always the arena will be packed with fake Jets fans who have never seen the Leafs win anything

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
He was never a good player, so happy he's in the lineup.

I want to see more from Schiefele and Connor. If fly is back in id really like Connor to slide down with Dubois and Perfetti to play with 55. I just think that's more balanced.

At this point it just seems obvious. Ehlers and Scheif can carry a line and Perfetti plays disciplined with quick thinking on breakouts and I bet would mesh very well with Ehlers on exiting and entering the zone, and very well with both him and Scheif on o-zone creativity.

Connor and Dubois were dynamite last year and for some reason Connor plays a more disciplined and direct game with Dubois. Them with Wheeler didn't get on the score sheet a lot but their process was good and I'm pretty sure they'd be effective.

Guess we'll see if we try it at some point

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

How can my Muse want subject to invent,
While Shotgun’d Nostril dost drip, that effluent pour'st to Buds’ net
While our own sweet Helly, too excellent
For every vulgar extendo-scrum, repel and forget?
Yo, give ourself thanks for linesmen blind as can be,
Worthy perusal stand Marner against his off-side;
For who's so bold as to worship the jewel’d Gods of Corsi,
When thyself dost give thy Paper’d Jets invention light?
Thy salt-sodden Muse, O Leaves judge thy Tendy’s worth
Weave those old crusty rhymes, belch’d forth to self-immolate;
And Keefe, rally yon octogenarian enforcer, and let him bring forth
Cloak’d numbers and sad presence doth reflect his expir’d date.
If my slight Muse do please these curious days,
The pain of loss be thine, and thy pain shall be the praise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad