Confirmed with Link: Gallagher signs 6 years x 6.5M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
This contract is going to hurt for a long time. Gallagher is just going to keep dropping in the lineup.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The fact that it is buyout proof is just so funny to me. Why did Bergevin and Sedgwick implement that?
Admittedly, I thought Gallagher had high enough hockey IQ to be able to cover the decline in physical ability, kind of like late career Gionta who was still a high volume shooter and still excellent defensively. I even admit so at the beginning of this signing.

I presume MB & co thought he'd be productive for the majority of the contract and then fade away into a bottom 6 role in the final couple of years.

Turns out that Gallagher's success was intimately tied to his physical ability and as that went, so did his effectiveness in 90% of the game.

The thing is, looking at guys like Hyman, Coleman, Gallagher, they bring such a rare skill that teams are ready to pay up. If the habs didn't pay for Gallagher, someone else would have. That doesn't make this a good signing, but rather, just an indication how rare players like Gallagher are: players that literally destroy their bodies for a goal and positioning.

Reactions: Lshap

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
there's a lesson here, never give out the big contract to the heart-and-soul crash-n-bangers, no matter how good they were in their prime. i was a big fan of Gallagher when he entered the league, but wow has he dropped off :(

Reactions: HabsQC

Treal

Jul 6, 2007
Friendly reminder that Connor Bedard will need a new contract extension before Brendan Gallagher's current contract expires.

Le Berge

Feb 25, 2018
Reactions: Habnot

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The issue with Gallagher is he'll play even if one arm is about to fall off. There is no chance he ever goes the Weber-Price route because he's too damn stubborn.

The only options are:

1. He retires
2. You buy him out
3. You pay multiple assets to get rid of him

Reactions: HabsQC and Tyson

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
With how Jeff Skinner rebounded, I still have hope Gally can rebound and be a 40-point player. Won't be worth his contract, but still better than what he was the last 2 years.

• Haha
Reactions: the

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The issue with Gallagher is he'll play even if one arm is about to fall off. There is no chance he ever goes the Weber-Price route because he's too damn stubborn.

The only options are:

1. He retires
2. You buy him out
He won't retire but he won't hold up and will end up hurt again sooner rather than later. I am not hoping he gets hurt, it's simply inevitable based on recent history.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The only options are:

1. He retires
2. You buy him out

I'm not so sure this is true as he ages. The Gallagher from his 20's yeah but the Gallagher in his 30+ years? We shall see. If his family grows like Price's family did, that can change his perspective on life and what really matters to him.

He's earned enough money for life now. He's going to ride it out for a while yet but at some point, he might get tired of playing bottom 6 minutes and also trying to recover and failing season after season. I have to think that will wear on his pride.

Reactions: Andy

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The fact that it is buyout proof is just so funny to me. Why did Bergevin and Sedgwick implement that?
I don't think you know what a buyout proof contract looks like. If we bought out Gallagher this summer we would have saved 5.7m this year, 6.7m next year, 4.2m the year after and 1.7m on the last year. Those are significant savings in 3 of the 4 years and so it's not remotely buyout proof.

Want to know what a buyout proof contract looks like, go check out the buyout calc on capfriendly for Price or Weber. So for an apples to apples comparison, if someone had tried to buyout Weber's final 4 years like with Gallaghers, they would save 2.5m in year 1 then 500k in years 2-4. That's what a buyout proof contract looks like, you barely save any money making it pointless to buyout. Buying out Price's final 4 years would have saved the team 400K in year 1, and 1.4m in years 2-4 Again pointless to buyout because there aren't even any decent savings to be gained with a buyout.

It's the complete opposite of Gallagher's contract.

Reactions: Chris96LFC

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No comparison, Skinner hasn't lost a step with his elite skating.
Agreed. Gallagher's skating was never elite but it was solid. Now it's well below NHL average and he's just got no time to think with the puck. I think that's his biggest issue... time/space.

He's still strong in scrums to some degree and knows how to play defensively. But he's not scoring at the previous rate which might have fooled us all along on the weak part of his game. Goals for can make people forget other flaws.

Reactions: Tyson

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think his biggest issue is he doesn’t have Danault carrying him anymore tbh. I don’t think he’s changed all that much.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He was good before playing with Danault. His biggest issue is that his body is beat up due to the hard style of play he's been playing for his entire career; dude's taken a beating.
Partly, but he plays a style that doesn’t suit other centers on the team. Him and Danault fit like a glove.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I don't think you know what a buyout proof contract looks like. If we bought out Gallagher this summer we would have saved 5.7m this year, 6.7m next year, 4.2m the year after and 1.7m on the last year. Those are significant savings in 3 of the 4 years and so it's not remotely buyout proof.

Want to know what a buyout proof contract looks like, go check out the buyout calc on capfriendly for Price or Weber. So for an apples to apples comparison, if someone had tried to buyout Weber's final 4 years like with Gallaghers, they would save 2.5m in year 1 then 500k in years 2-4. That's what a buyout proof contract looks like, you barely save any money making it pointless to buyout. Buying out Price's final 4 years would have saved the team 400K in year 1, and 1.4m in years 2-4 Again pointless to buyout because there aren't even any decent savings to be gained with a buyout.

It's the complete opposite of Gallagher's contract.
You’re right about Gallagher’s contract it’s not buyout-proof but simply very ugly upon which to use a buyout.

“Middle loading” Gallagher’s contract made the penalty for his buyout peak to 4.6m in dead cap. Versus any AAV that’s very much a frustrating hurdle and it’s quite unappealing.

Price and Weber had horrible contracts that’s true.

I’m convinced Gallagher will be on LTIR before a buyout is used on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion and Andy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad