Gagarin Cup Playoffs 2021

Pick the winner!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Why would they not be?

Like poster above said, just implying that currently being so close to Moscow may have helped to land the likes of Emelin and Kovalchuk, etc. I don't know, maybe both and others would have signed if they were still in Omsk. Like I said, seems like they've always done well signing high quality players for the league anyways

Reactions: Rigafan

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
is Korostelyev injured, or just a scratch?
Also Yurtaikin
They are both healthy scratches. Yurtaikin didn't really work at all for CSKA yet, Korostelyov is closer to being in the lineup I assume but he isn't the playoff-type of player and Sorkin has been playing really well lately.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
They are both healthy scratches. Yurtaikin didn't really work at all for CSKA yet, Korostelyov is closer to being in the lineup I assume but he isn't the playoff-type of player and Sorkin has been playing really well lately.
Why isn't Korostelev a play off type player? His issue is speed, but other than that he is ok

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Why isn't Korostelev a play off type player? His issue is speed, but other than that he is ok
His issue isn't just speed, it's his skating in general. That's is different as it means you are more prone to be out of position, more likely to lose balance in strength battle, etc. In general, in the playoffs, where the game speeds up and is played with more intensity, most coaches will pick a player who can reliably stay with the play in the bottom-6, can't really blame them.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
His issue isn't just speed, it's his skating in general. That's is different as it means you are more prone to be out of position, more likely to lose balance in strength battle, etc. In general, in the playoffs, where the game speeds up and is played with more intensity, most coaches will pick a player who can reliably stay with the play in the bottom-6, can't really blame them.
yes skating you are correct, it's pretty awful...I can't believe how he was such a great prospect at 15, just the hype?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
yes skating you are correct, it's pretty awful...I can't believe how he was such a great prospect at 15, just the hype?
Well his description from 2014 report on EP says "a deft skater", that just got lost somewhere in his development. I don't know what's to blame but if he had this toolset plus and adequate skating he would probably be really good. He can still become a top-6 forward in the KHL which is, frankly, not bad at all.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Well his description from 2014 report on EP says "a deft skater", that just got lost somewhere in his development. I don't know what's to blame but if he had this toolset plus and adequate skating he would probably be really good. He can still become a top-6 forward in the KHL which is, frankly, not bad at all.

I remember him and kashtanov playing for u18 teams and they were top notch. Too bad their careers didn't go as expected. Probably moved to NA too early (but I don't want to start this conversation again :))

TommySalo

Dec 27, 2009
Cracking game. Well done to Avangard!
CSKA are still the favourites, but this season is not easy for them 4-3 vs. Loko, 4-2 vs. SKA and now the final hanging in the balance.
In my opinion the winner of game 5 will win the series and the Cup.

Val

Jan 19, 2021
Amazing shorthanded goal by Reid Boucher in 5th final game of Gagarin Cup! :popcorn: Avangard with headcoach Bob Hartley is one step away from the cup

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
How is a better team letting the series sleep away? painful to watch.

Pretty easily - discipline. Strange to tell that about Nikitin's team, but those two 5+20 for Shalunov and Loktionov (and Shalunov's 1 game suspension) in the previous game so far look like could be the series breaker. With that being said, I still think CSKA has got the character to at least get to the game 7 here.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't really see what CSKA has done to be called "the better team" in this series. Avangard is winning it fair and square.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I don't really see what CSKA has done to be called "the better team" in this series. Avangard is winning it fair and square.
I disagree with this whole heartedly, there are periods of games where CSKA is dominating the game, for example first period of yesterdays game, which are intertwined with even play.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I disagree with this whole heartedly, there are periods of games where CSKA is dominating the game, for example first period of yesterdays game, which are intertwined with even play.
Yes, CSKA was the home team so naturally, they came out stronger out of the gate. But Avangard were clearly better in the 2nd so to me, that's hockey. 2 equal teams play - both have good stretches and bad ones. One that converts on its chances wins.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Yes, CSKA was the home team so naturally, they came out stronger out of the gate. But Avangard were clearly better in the 2nd so to me, that's hockey. 2 equal teams play - both have good stretches and bad ones. One that converts on its chances wins.
Converting on the chances doesn't mean carrying the play. CSKA had almost twice the shots, (yes 1/2 were blocked) I haven't seen attack zone time stats wonder what they were
Also converting on chances, do you call lucky shot by dedunov or exceptional luck of Boucher who was out of play falling down and ended up with a puck on his stick? I mean really?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad