GDT: G65: Preds @ Wild | 2:30pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Great pass by Zucc, and Boldy was ready for it. Very important point for the Wild. Crazy move by Hynes to pull the flower, all in and it paid off.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Probably best Boldy didn't know. :laugh:

Do goalies still get the decision if the GWG is scored with an EN? Fleury wasn't in the net which certainly directly led to this GWG, likewise had Nashville scored, would he have been given the L since he didn't technically give up the GWG?

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
It was really risky.
Not really. Must be at least 8/10 times that a team scores while having a 4 on 3 in OT so it makes perfect sense to pull your goalie when you've established yourself in the offensive zone. I've been waiting for a NHL coach to do this for two seasons now since TImrå in the SHL did it twice in a row and won both times.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Not really. Must be at least 8/10 times that a team scores while having a 4 on 3 in OT so it makes perfect sense to pull your goalie when you've established yourself in the offensive zone. I've been waiting for a NHL coach to do this for two seasons now since TImrå in the SHL did it twice in a row and won both times.
The reason coaches in the NHL don't do it is because they could forfeit the loser point if the opponent scores. The reason that was risky for the Wild is because they need every single point to claw their way back. They're still facing a nearly impossible climb, but losing that point they earned to get to OT would have been a disaster.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The reason coaches in the NHL don't do it is because they could forfeit the loser point if the opponent scores. The reason that was risky for the Wild is because they need every single point to claw their way back. They're still facing a nearly impossible climb, but losing that point they earned to get to OT would have been a disaster.
I think it was perfect. Let destiny decide if we make the playoffs or tank.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
This is pretty old, but:

53% is very high compared to normal 5v4 PPs. Unfortunately, this is literally the only stat I can find around it, and compiling it by hand would be an arduous task. This is also probably wrong to some degree, since the team with 3 players can't ice the puck without consequences in a goalie-pulled situation. Of course, that's minimized a bit because obtaining the puck in order to ice it is harder in a 4v3 anyway. I would think 60% is a reasonable figure for the success rate of a 4v3 in OT.

So...
- The risk to the Wild is that they could get 2 points in the standings, or 0 points.
- The Predators can get 2 points in the standings, or 1 point.

For this to be an acceptable risk, it needs to succeed at least 66.6% of the time, due to the opponent not having any risk by still getting the OT point. For it to overcome natural risk-aversion, it needs to be even higher, the exact amount dependent on the individual, but overall I'd guess around 75-80%.​
60% just wouldn't cut it, but again, that's a figure I pulled out of my ass that I think might be reasonably ballpark, so unless someone who does this for a job - or has no job - wants to do it, we'll never know the real rate.​
Personally, I think it was a risky move, ballsy as hell, and I love it.

Reactions: Minnesota
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad