G Trey Augustine - Michigan State, NCAA (2023, 41st, DET)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Put together quite the season. Lots of accolades and big game experience, USA will be set in net next year at the world juniors again. With Cossa coming on strong as well, their could be a battle for the net on the way in Detroit

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
It'll be interesting to see how he does next season. I don't follow NCAA super close so not sure how MSU is shaping up for next year. Is he going to be facing more pressure?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They should be better next year. They bring in two NTDP players and a few other good junior players. With Augustine, Levshunov, Howard, and Strbak likely returning, the team should again be a contender.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He looked good today. There was one shift earlier in the 3rd where Team USA was under siege and were lucky to not give up a goal. Slovak player missed an open net that wouldn't have been on Trey had it gone in. Other than that shift it was fairly quiet sans a Dano breakaway that he airmailed. Looked really calm in the shootout, making the saves look easy.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
He may be taking over for Ned after Ned had not the best game today. Came in and played well. Ultimately let a goal past in OT after a double deflection.

Will be interesting to see this 19 year old possibly player more at the IIHF World Championships.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You aren't gonna find a bigger fan of Trey than me, but I would not trust a college goalie in the World Championships. Go back to the NHL goalie. That's your best chance to have success as a team in the later stages of this tournament.

If Trey starts one game against the worst team in the group and ends with a .900+ SV%, thats a great tournament. He's not ready for the big show yet.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stopped 20 of 21 in a 4-1 win over Poland. It’s Poland, but still these are experienced pros and some of them in good pro leagues while he’s not yet played any pro hockey.

He has a .929 SV% so far in this tournament through three appearances.

He’s getting easier starts and all that, but he’s the youngest goalie to see the ice so far at this tournament by four years and is performing as one of the best so far of any age.

Cannot say enough about how good he’s doing.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Augustine became the 20th teenager since 1930 to play goal in the World Championships. Names on that list include Andrei Vasilevskiy, Mike Richter, Vladislav Tretiak, the late Pelle Lindbergh and former Red Wings standout Dominik Hasek. He is the youngest goalie ever to play in the net for the Americans at the World Championships.

“Obviously Trey is getting an opportunity here because of the circumstances (Lyon got injured) and he has made the most of it,” said U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame goalie John Vanbiesbrouck, who is also USA Hockey’s Assistant Executive Director of Hockey operations.

“We knew coming in that (Augustine) was extremely poised,” Vanbiesbrouck said. “That puts him at the top of his age group, and he’s probably beyond his years. We knew his capability to stick with it when the chips are down…He is one of the best I’ve seen at being able to come off the bench. He did that a lot with the (U.S.) NTDP.”

Augustine ranks third in goals-against average (1.37) and fourth in save percentage (.929) among all goalies in the World Hockey Championshps this year. He has stopped 39-of-42 shots in three games.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know that Smith and Leonard and Perreault and now Buium get the most talk from that NTDP age group, but since the beginning I always thought Augustine was their best player during the two years at the NTDP. Goalies aren’t going to be picked as high as skaters, so that’s why he wasn’t picked higher than those guys, but I think he has a decent shot at the best NHL career of the three, not to say the others won’t also have big success.

Reactions: cjeagle

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Augustine became the 20th teenager since 1930 to play goal in the World Championships. Names on that list include Andrei Vasilevskiy, Mike Richter, Vladislav Tretiak, the late Pelle Lindbergh and former Red Wings standout Dominik Hasek. He is the youngest goalie ever to play in the net for the Americans at the World Championships.

“Obviously Trey is getting an opportunity here because of the circumstances (Lyon got injured) and he has made the most of it,” said U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame goalie John Vanbiesbrouck, who is also USA Hockey’s Assistant Executive Director of Hockey operations.

“We knew coming in that (Augustine) was extremely poised,” Vanbiesbrouck said. “That puts him at the top of his age group, and he’s probably beyond his years. We knew his capability to stick with it when the chips are down…He is one of the best I’ve seen at being able to come off the bench. He did that a lot with the (U.S.) NTDP.”

Augustine ranks third in goals-against average (1.37) and fourth in save percentage (.929) among all goalies in the World Hockey Championshps this year. He has stopped 39-of-42 shots in three games.

Not to be that guy. But Poland wasn't exactly the Soviet team of the 1980's.

Though Augustine has impressed in NCAA play.

Last edited:

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
The US is bringing in Charlie Lindgren of the Washington Capitals to replace the injured Lyon so it looks like Augustine is back to #3 again in the goalie depth chart for them at the World Hockey Championships.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The US is bringing in Charlie Lindgren of the Washington Capitals so it looks like Augustine is back to #3 again in the goalie depth chart for them at the World Hockey Championships.
It's all good. He probably wasn't getting another game with it moving into the elimination rounds either way. It makes sense to play the NHL goalies when the games matter, but he got his games in and did well. Mission accomplished.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
It's all good. He probably wasn't getting another game with it moving into the elimination rounds either way. It makes sense to play the NHL goalies when the games matter, but he got his games in and did well. Mission accomplished.
Either way, I think he will spend another year at MSU before being offered a contract by the Redwings just like they have done with their other promising young goalie prospect Sebastian Cossa (drafted 15th overall 2021) who is now backstopping their AHL affiliate Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Not to be that guy. Buy Poland wasn't exactly the Soviet team of the 1980's.

Though Augustine has impressed in NCAA play.
Yes his NCAA performance this year was pretty impressive helping MSU win the Big Ten Conference for the first time and a semifinalist for the Mike Richter award (best goaltender) despite being the youngest goalkeeper in NCAA Division I hockey.

I am not saying he would be the next Dominik Hasek but being among 20 goaltenders to play as teenagers in the World Hockey Championships since 1930 is pretty impressive particularly since most of those young players didn't have the winning record or goalie stats with a goals-against average (1.37) and save percentage (.929) in 3 games he has had in this senior men's tournament.

His US international resume so far at various age levels has been consistently excellent. He has represented the United States at the 2023 IIHF World U18 Championships, where he recorded six wins, with a 1.61 GAA, .934 save percentage, and won a gold medal.

At the 2024 IIHF World Junior Championships (U20) he won all four games he started, and posted a tournament-best 1.75 GAA and .936 save percentage. During the gold medal game against Sweden he posted 24 saves in a 6–2 victory, and won a gold medal.

You can see the trend.

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
In a re-ranking (I will leave the re-draft for others), there is an argument that after their D+1 seasons five goalies would be in the top 32:

Augustine, Clara, Fowler, and Slukynski, Zavragin.

Will be fun to follow the goalies from 2023 the next 5 years.

Reactions: cjeagle

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I'm just sitting here hoping 2023 for Detroit is something anywhere near even close to 2017 for Dallas lol.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I'm just sitting here hoping 2023 for Detroit is something anywhere near even close to 2017 for Dallas

More like the Redwings 1989 draft where they drafted elite Redwings players like Nicklas Lidstrom, Sergei Fedorov and Vladimir Konstantinov as well as successful NHL pros like Dallas Drake, Mike Sillinger and Bob Boughner who ended up playing mostly for other teams.

The 2023 draft already has 3 promising teenagers in Nate Danielson, Axel Pelikka and Trey Augustine who look like elite players so far. Even their 7th round pick Finnie already signed a contract and has been assigned to Grand Rapids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad