Prospect Info: G Logan Thompson

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
What are we going to do about Thompson?

I'm not one of those who think he can come in and be a starter right now, or even be relied on to be the backup with no NHL history behind him but if he doesn't get a certain amount of games (and I don't think he will) he will be a UFA at seasons end.

We have Lehner and Brossoit in the NHL and Saville should join Patera and Ferguson in the AHL after this season, we just drafted Lindbom further down the pipeline and the goalie carousel usually brings new starters and backups available in cheap trades or decent UFA deals most years.

So we can afford to lose him, I'm not saying we can't. But he has shown some promise, shouldn't he get 5-10 NHL games this season so we can at least see what we may have here?

Reactions: Vegas07

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
He will get 5-10 games this season in all likelihood. Not many teams make it through a season without using a 3rd goalie. There will be injuries. After the year they'll have to assess whether to sign Thompson and trade Brossoit or let Thompson go.

Reactions: theslatcher

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I would have preferred having him serve as Lehner’s backup now and save that 2.whatever million doled out to Brossoit.

He played great last year. Why not try him out and if plays poorly after several starts use your cap space to gun for a backup afterwards.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I would have preferred having him serve as Lehner’s backup now and save that 2.whatever million doled out to Brossoit.

He played great last year. Why not try him out and if plays poorly after several starts use your cap space to gun for a backup afterwards.

Because you can't find a quality backup midseason unless it's through a trade. And if Thompson struggles and Lehner gets hurt the goaltending situation turns into a serious issue. If Thompson wasn't waiver exempt I think they would have rolled the dice, but since they can freely send him down it allows them to have a nice stable of depth in case they need it to fall back on.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Because you can't find a quality backup midseason unless it's through a trade. And if Thompson struggles and Lehner gets hurt the goaltending situation turns into a serious issue. If Thompson wasn't waiver exempt I think they would have rolled the dice, but since they can freely send him down it allows them to have a nice stable of depth in case they need it to fall back on.

Good point. There is always the potential that Lehner might undergo some hardship during the season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
What are we going to do about Thompson?

I'm not one of those who think he can come in and be a starter right now, or even be relied on to be the backup with no NHL history behind him but if he doesn't get a certain amount of games (and I don't think he will) he will be a UFA at seasons end.

We have Lehner and Brossoit in the NHL and Saville should join Patera and Ferguson in the AHL after this season, we just drafted Lindbom further down the pipeline and the goalie carousel usually brings new starters and backups available in cheap trades or decent UFA deals most years.

So we can afford to lose him, I'm not saying we can't. But he has shown some promise, shouldn't he get 5-10 NHL games this season so we can at least see what we may have here?

Vegas tends to leave kids in the AHL until they're waiver eligible or they need to fill a position with a sub-1m contract. If Thompson makes enough of a case over the next year (or two), room will undoubtedly be made. There is method to the madness: if Thompson doesn't play many NHL games, he can be re-signed to a 2 or even 3 year deal close to league minimum. That's what Tampa has been doing with their kids.

With the schedule being compressed before and after February, Thompson may see some games as the 3rd goalie. I know it drives some people nuts that Elvenes and Dugan don't get called up, but can you ever really have enough goalies? :sarcasm:

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
The correct call. The roster on 10/13 is not necessarily the one we'll have next April so let's see what we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad