G Kam Hendrickson - Chanhassen High School, USHS-MN (2024 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stole the show in the Hlinka pre-tournament exhibition game for the USA. 6'2 goalie. Liked his movement, his tracking, and his positioning.

Some of the Minnesota high school hockey followers could give more information about him, but he might be better than either of the NTDP goalies. I did some googling about him midway through the game, and it seems like he's a well kept secret because he's not at the NTDP or playing USHL/CHL, but is very legit.

2024 draft doesn't have many standout goalies, so maybe this guy could surprise and move up draft boards, but playing high school hockey won't help his case. Not sure who, if anyone, has his USHL rights. No NCAA commitment yet either.

Reactions: Dominance

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Well, I don't. They look like they haven't been updated within the last year. They look wrong for numerous players.
That’s fine but I wouldn’t trust EP for any type of measurements either. They are notoriously inaccurate. And a player profile submitted by the player themself is bound to be inflated as well.

Celebrini71

Oct 31, 2023
I'm wondering if he will do what Slukynsky did last year and join the NTDP go to the WJ-U18s this year and then to the Steel for a full season next year.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
cousin to darby and beckett and those guys? EP doesn't say anything about it

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Omaha is very bad too. They only had 1 shutout previously on the season. Their starter Yegorov is going to be a top 5 goalie drafted. He doesn't have that much time to show he's equal to Yegorov, but if he gets another 2-3 starts and looks good playing to better numbers than Yegorov, that could help him get drafted.

He already will have been watched for his high school team, but performing well in limited USHL games could be what has a team decide he's worth a draft pick.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
The next great goaltender for the Gophers?
The Gophers miss on so many Minnesota goalies and go with Canadians and others. It pisses a lot of us off. This is a no-brainer to offer Hendrickson to come in 2025-26. One year in the USHL.

And for next year get a one year transfer portal goalie.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
The Gophers miss on so many Minnesota goalies and go with Canadians and others. It pisses a lot of us off. This is a no-brainer to offer Hendrickson to come in 2025-26. One year in the USHL.

And for next year get a one year transfer portal goalie.
Minnesota should recruit more talented Canadian skaters though. But you're right on Minnesota goalies, they need to get one of the good ones

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Minnesota should recruit more talented Canadian skaters though. But you're right on Minnesota goalies, they need to get one of the good ones
It is important for many Gopher fans to have mostly Minnesotan players. My opinion is the only non-Minnesotans should be stars rather than depth players. The likes of Knies, Cooley, etc. They have shown they're willing to get these guys, so if there's a Canadian superstar I'm sure they reach out. It's just that not many choose Minnesota.

This year all skaters are Minnesotan and it's just the three goalies that are not.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
It is important for many Gopher fans to have mostly Minnesotan players. My opinion is the only non-Minnesotans should be stars rather than depth players. The likes of Knies, Cooley, etc. They have shown they're willing to get these guys, so if there's a Canadian superstar I'm sure they reach out. It's just that not many choose Minnesota.

This year all skaters are Minnesotan and it's just the three goalies that are not.
It's important for all Gophers fans that they win national championships first, it is a great bonus if they can win it with mostly Minnesotans. If Hendrickson is elite, then obviously he should be recruited. The national championship drought has been too long for Gophers fans, so they just want another title.

The 90% Minnesotan roster formula really hasn't worked in this generation. My guess is that Minnesota doesn't pursue the Jost, Fabbro, Makar, Bernard Docker, Newhook, Holloway, C. Savoie, Power, Johnson, Ceulemans, James, Moldenhauer, Fantilli, Celebrini, Hage, Boisvert, Letourneau types of the world (not to mention even more solid Canadian depth) as hard as they could, as they simply don't have as many minor hockey connections in Canada as North Dakota, Denver, Michigan, and to a lesser extent, Wisconsin, BU & BC. It also could be a self fulfilling loop where because Minnesota hasn't and doesn't recruit NCAA route Canadians as hard/often, it leads to those Canadian kids to never seriously think of Minnesota as an option, and thus the Western Canadian kids usually look at North Dakota and Denver first, and the Eastern Canadian kids usually look at Michigan, BU, and BC first.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
The 90% Minnesotan roster formula really hasn't worked in this generation.
They made the last two Frozen Fours and choked away the title last year. It's functioning fine.

The non-Minnesotans are always the most likely to de-commit (Eiserman style) or leave/transfer early. They don't need to go under 85-90% to succeed.

8 Minnesotans just made NTDP, an all time record. The talent is still pumping out of MN.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
They made the last two Frozen Fours and choked away the title last year. It's functioning fine.

The non-Minnesotans are always the most likely to de-commit (Eiserman style) or leave/transfer early. They don't need to go under 85-90% to succeed.

8 Minnesotans just made NTDP, an all time record. The talent is still pumping out of MN.
Of course the talent is still pumping out of the state. But nearly national champion since the Gophers won in 2003 has multiple important Canadian skaters on their roster. And many of them are depth guys who stay longer (even UMD had Canadians like Justin Fontaine and Parker Mackay who helped them win it all).

It is important to get the best talent in your backyard, and get kids who want to play 3-4 years, but if you limit your recruiting footprint, you miss out on guys who would have put you over the top. I bet (undrafted) guys like Ryan McAllister and TJ Hughes would have looked nice for the Gophers last year.

Hendrickson will likely be a Gopher, but my point is worthwhile food 4 thought.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Of course the talent is still pumping out of the state. But nearly national champion since the Gophers won in 2003 has multiple important Canadian skaters on their roster. And many of them are depth guys who stay longer (even UMD had Canadians like Justin Fontaine and Parker Mackay who helped them win it all).

It is important to get the best talent in your backyard, and get kids who want to play 3-4 years, but if you limit your recruiting footprint, you miss out on guys who would have put you over the top. I bet (undrafted) guys like Ryan McAllister and TJ Hughes would have looked nice for the Gophers last year.

Hendrickson will likely be a Gopher, but my point is worthwhile food 4 thought.
Ya, most teams have Canadians because there are a lot of good Canadian hockey players... The Gophers don't NEED to have any Canadians.

BC, the best team of the last 15-20 years, has one Canadian, and he has 7 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad