G Jakub Skarek - Pelicans, Liiga (2018, 72nd, NYI)

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
He making his Extraliga debut with Sparta today.
In 12 games in Czech second tier league he has 92,31 save %.

Incredible goalie talent.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
So far so good. 2-0 Sparta after the first. Only caught the last 6-7 minutes of the period though. He looks big and calm in net, but wasn't tested much from what I saw. First time I've heard about this guy.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Will he go to WJC? And will he be a Nr 1 goalie?

Maybe. Vladar and Stezka should be locks and contenders for starter position. Skarek, Ruzicka and probabably someone else (Kvaca? Korenar? Brizgala?) are in the mix for 3rd goalie.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
How do you guys think he did at the WJC?

I think it may have been the best Czech performance since Mrazek (okay, recent goalies were never really good). Certainly better than Vladar.

And I didn't even know that he had just turned 17 before the tournament, I thought he was some undrafted 19-year old :amazed:
He's not NHL Draft-elibigle until 2018. "The next Hasek" is exaggerated for everyone but he'll be interesting to watch.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He'll be interesting to track and could be putting himself in position to challenge as the top goalie of 2018. I thought he was pretty good vs Canada for a 17 year old.

As for the Next Hasek, I'm pretty sure we will see another player like Gretzky, Mario or Lindros (all very unique elite players, with quite unique playing styles) before we see another Hasek. Any goalie who tries to play like Hasek probably has it coached out of him by the time he's 12.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He'll be interesting to track and could be putting himself in position to challenge as the top goalie of 2018. I thought he was pretty good vs Canada for a 17 year old.

As for the Next Hasek, I'm pretty sure we will see another player like Gretzky, Mario or Lindros (all very unique elite players, with quite unique playing styles) before we see another Hasek. Any goalie who tries to play like Hasek probably has it coached out of him by the time he's 12.

The only way we'll ever see a new Hasek is if a player decides to become a goalie after age 16, IMO. As you say, goalies will have it coached out of them, as they should. The Hasek technique basically came down to just stopping the damn puck.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The only way we'll ever see a new Hasek is if a player decides to become a goalie after age 16, IMO. As you say, goalies will have it coached out of them, as they should. The Hasek technique basically came down to just stopping the damn puck.
Yeah, I think the closest we've gotten post-Hasek is Tim Thomas who was a journeyman back-up who broke into the league in his 30's. Any young goalie going through the traditional development path is highly unlikely to play that unorthodox.

Reactions: deflowd

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Obviously he's not the next Hasek (since Hasek was a generational level goalie) but I was pretty impressed by him. He was one of 17 U18 players at the tourney, and I thought he played pretty well being only 17. He's got talent. I think he's a guy to watch out for in 2018 as a potential first rounder

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I don't think that by "next Hasek" is meant the playing style, but rather the success and the status, measured in Vezinas, Harts, gold medals etc...

But I doubt that anyone will ever reach the status of Hasek (and Jagr) in the Czech Rep.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What is the comparison between Hasek and Thomas...? It's not style, nationality, success, consistency, competency, or weight...
Thomas is probably the last NHL goalie in recent memory to experience a high level of success playing such an unconventional style. It wasn't a mirror image but it had similar tendencies.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I don't see it. Thomas was unkempt and sloppy. Hasek understood vertical angles like few others I've seen. Thomas just threw himself at stuff and had no anticipation, no control over his body, he burped up awful rebounds and gave up soft goals by the bushels because he had no technical backing.

Hasek learned his style from Jiri Holecek, he didn't invent it. Thomas didn't seem to have foundation to his game, which is why he was only remotely useful under Julien/Chara and beyond that was mostly a fringe NHLer because of how unreliable he was. I don't mean to detract from the thread, but there seems to be a thought that you either play like Jean-Sebastien Giguere or you're Hasek. Thomas and Hasek are not on the same level, plane, school, nothing in my eyes and I'm sure anyone else who has been involved in coaching goaltenders either...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is a guy I would probably avoid if selecting a goalie in this draft.

I really wasn't impressed with him any time that I saw him. There's components to his mental game which I don't think he will be able to overcome.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad