G Ilya Sorokin (2014, 78th, NYI)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I am still pissed Samsonov did not get a start in that World Junior gold medal final.

I'm even more pissed they didn't give him the start in the last regualr season game in Kazan so I could watch him in person. I was watching at his back all game instead.:shakehead:laugh:

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Yeah he's 20 years old starting on a team competing for the championships in the second best league in the world. I think he's a top 3 goalie prospect right now.

TheZec

Mar 19, 2010
I just hope that, when his contract with CSKA expires (I think in 2018) he will come over. I'm sure it wont be easy, if he continues to play that good on one of the richest teams of the KHL I know I will not blame him for taking some huge salary instead of the max allowed by an ELC.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Are you even serious? Right now he is propapbly the top goalender prospect in his age group hands down.

Sorokin's really good, but I think you are overstating it. What about Thatcher Demko?

I wouldn't even be sure he's the best Russian goalie in his age group. He's been given a chance to be a starter, something the guy who outplayed him to earn the starting spot for Russia at the 2015 WJC was not given.

Definitely a bluechip prospect though.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Sorokin's really good, but I think you are overstating it. What about Thatcher Demko?

I wouldn't even be sure he's the best Russian goalie in his age group. He's been given a chance to be a starter, something the guy who outplayed him to earn the starting spot for Russia at the 2015 WJC was not given.

That's one tournament. Sorokin has outplayed Shestorkin ever since that one small sample and there's really no question about it.

I'm not ready to annoint him king of the goalie prospect kingdom myself, but he's in a different stratosphere than Shestorkin at this point.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's one tournament. Sorokin has outplayed Shestorkin ever since that one small sample and there's really no question about it.

I'm not ready to annoint him king of the goalie prospect kingdom myself, but he's in a different stratosphere than Shestorkin at this point.

I'm just disagreeing that its so clear cut that Sorokin is much better than every goalie prospect his age. There are a number of goalie prospects his age that I think are just as good, and some might be better. That doesn't take away from him being a blue chip prospect, I just don't think he's in a McDavid type of goalie tier that other goalies are so far behind.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I'm just disagreeing that its so clear cut that Sorokin is much better than every goalie prospect his age. There are a number of goalie prospects his age that I think are just as good, and some might be better. That doesn't take away from him being a blue chip prospect, I just don't think he's in a McDavid type of goalie tier that other goalies are so far behind.

I don't think he's the clear cut top goalie prospect, that I agree with.

But I don't think there's too many that are clearly better.

Demko, Murray, Hellebucyk, Subban, Samsonov... the list probably stops there. I think he fits in the group right after those guys. He has to prove more outside of the KHL, from my perspective, before he can really be thought of on that level.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

I agree he probably isn't the best, but Shestyorkin? The guy that had lesser numbers in a lower league? Please.... a few games in a short tourney against teenagers where he might have been a smidge better doesn't erase what is now 45 games (including playoffs) of superior numbers playing against men.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree he probably isn't the best, but Shestyorkin? The guy that had lesser numbers in a lower league? Please.... a few games in a short tourney against teenagers where he might have been a smidge better doesn't erase what is now 45 games (including playoffs) of superior numbers playing against men.

Actually, the numbers aren't superior. Shestyorkin posted the best numbers in the history of the VHL for SV% and GAA for goalies that played more than 12 games in a season. Unlucky for him that he plays for a team that won the title last year, and won't give a young goalie a chance. Underrate him at your own risk.

This doesn't need to be an Isles/Rangers argument though. You guys took out a small part of my post, and are turning it into a Rangers/Isles argument. My post was about the fact that there are many very good goalie prospects, so saying Sorokin is in a tier of his own isn't something that I agree with.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

At this point in time who is Thatcher Demko? A Boston College goaltender against a guy who is a starter in the KHL finals?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I don't think he's the clear cut top goalie prospect, that I agree with.

But I don't think there's too many that are clearly better.

Demko, Murray, Hellebucyk, Subban, Samsonov... the list probably stops there. I think he fits in the group right after those guys. He has to prove more outside of the KHL, from my perspective, before he can really be thought of on that level.

Sorry guys, but you overrate NA goalies by a margin there.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Actually, the numbers aren't superior. Shestyorkin posted the best numbers in the history of the VHL for SV% and GAA for goalies that played more than 12 games in a season. Unlucky for him that he plays for a team that won the title last year, and won't give a young goalie a chance. Underrate him at your own risk.

This doesn't need to be an Isles/Rangers argument though. You guys took out a small part of my post, and are turning it into a Rangers/Isles argument. My post was about the fact that there are many very good goalie prospects, so saying Sorokin is in a tier of his own isn't something that I agree with.

Sorokin was on a great team and forced his way into the #1 spot and his team even traded a goalie because of him.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

I intentionally didn't bring up the fact that you are a Ranger fan, and Shestyrokin is a Ranger prospect for that reason. He had a nice season and did put up record breaking numbers.

Sorokin put up record breaking numbers in a higher league and continues to post the same numbers through the playoffs. This isn't really even close here.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Demko and Sorokin both look pretty promising.

I have them both comfortably in the top 4/5. But as goaltending prospects go.... there's a pretty good chance some scrub not even in the conversation ends up better than all of them. It wasn't long ago that Markstrom was looked at as the #1 prospect among goalies. That's why I can't get overly excited until they are doing it at this level.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Demko, Murray, Hellebucyk, Subban, Samsonov... the list probably stops there.

Replace Subban with Sorokin and that's the undisputed top 5 goalie prospects not currently in the NHL.

Now I don't think anyone will agree what order they go in

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I intentionally didn't bring up the fact that you are a Ranger fan, and Shestyrokin is a Ranger prospect for that reason. He had a nice season and did put up record breaking numbers.

Sorokin put up record breaking numbers in a higher league and continues to post the same numbers through the playoffs. This isn't really even close here.

What I was saying is that Sorokin's isn't in a tier of his own, hence naming someone like Demko. I don't even think he's in a tier of his own for goalies in Russia from his age group, hence naming someone like Shestyorkin.

I really don't know where the argument is here. Maybe you can fill me in on that. I disagreed that he was "hands down" the best goalie. You seem to agree on that, and it seems like everyone else besides the one poster that I quoted does, so why are you picking out a footnote of my post? I think I know why, but that discussion doesn't need to be had.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There's more than one place to develop.

NA has a pretty good track record with goalies.

There are many places to develop, but what exactly being good in college proves? Right now has the best record to prove he was worth his draft pick. No matter if other guys were given a chance to prove something or not, but dominatong junior leagues will never be comparable to dominating the 2nd best pro league.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Take note that a 20 year old Sorokin has already outplayed Viktor Fasth for CSKA's starting goalie position. Fasth could probably still find work as a backup somewhere in the NHL, or at least be one of the top goalies in the AHL.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
What I was saying is that Sorokin's isn't in a tier of his own, hence naming someone like Demko. I don't even think he's in a tier of his own for goalies in Russia from his age group, hence naming someone like Shestyorkin.

I really don't know where the argument is here. Maybe you can fill me in on that. I disagreed that he was "hands down" the best goalie. You seem to agree on that, and it seems like everyone else besides the one poster that I quoted does, so why are you picking out a footnote of my post? I think I know why, but that discussion doesn't need to be had.

Are you aware of how homerish you look in this thread?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad