G Damian Clara - Brynäs IF, HockeyAllsvenskan (2023, 60th, ANA)

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
As a life-long die hard Brynäs fan, I've very much enjoyed watching this guy develop over the season. Would be amazing to get to keep him for another year.

Plz duckie.
I think it depends on what happens with Suchanek. He was the starter most of the year in San Diego (I think) and looked really good. Clang got the rest of the starts. Clang is signed for next year, but Suchanek is on a 1 year, AHL only deal. I think most Duck fans are hoping he signs a contract with the Ducks and remains the starter for San Diego. I think most/all Ducks fans would be happy with Suchanek/Clang in San Diego and giving Clara another year (or two?) overseas.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I mean Brynas are runaway favorites, even this year they have salary budget higher than some of the SHL teams. Them not coming back would be a major shock.

Also, regarding the Sv% questions earlier, since NA and Swedish hockey is rather different we also have a bit of a different dynamic in terms of the team's impact on Sv%. It has an opposite effect here, while Brynas is a dominant team their dominance means they don't allow a lot of 5v5 shots and a much bigger percentage of the shots their goalies face is on PP or after the counterattack (breakaways, odd-man rushes, etc). So subsequently they don't see a lot of low-danger shots come in but a comparatively high percentage of high-danger ones. Their PK, for example, also only operated at 75,4% which is in the bottom half of the league and overall, not very good.

Therefore Clara's .913 is absolutely fine and explains how his veteran partners were both below .900.
Thanks for the analysis. Looking forward to seeing another paisano in the NHL. And hopefully Italy's national team having success in the future.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
As a life-long die hard Brynäs fan, I've very much enjoyed watching this guy develop over the season. Would be amazing to get to keep him for another year.

Plz duckie.
Even if they let him remain in Sweden, I assume Färjestad will not loan him out next year.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I think it depends on what happens with Suchanek. He was the starter most of the year in San Diego (I think) and looked really good. Clang got the rest of the starts. Clang is signed for next year, but Suchanek is on a 1 year, AHL only deal. I think most Duck fans are hoping he signs a contract with the Ducks and remains the starter for San Diego. I think most/all Ducks fans would be happy with Suchanek/Clang in San Diego and giving Clara another year (or two?) overseas.

Yeah, there's no reason to rush him. Hopefully next season he plays in SHL against better players.

Oct 18, 2011

Plz duckie.
Anaheim will have Gibson and Dostal, they have a few other goalie prospects, honestly until the Gulls are fixed I wouldn't want Clara there

Reactions: lwvs84

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The Ducks are a goalie factory. They have gone from developed starter to developed starter to developed starter the whole life of the franchise.

They have never been without one of these guys:
Hebert
Giggy
Bryzgalov
Hiller
Anderson
Gibson

Now Dostal is about ready to take the reins, and Clara looks like he is the next gem.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, there's no reason to rush him. Hopefully next season he plays in SHL against better players.
Yeah, Ducks already have Dostal/Gibson and Clang/Suchanek (hopefully) in the NHL and AHL respectively. Both of the AHL goalies have looked solid for stretches but I don't think either are ready for full time call up, no reason to have Clara here past maybe training camp and pre-season just for him to see what the game is like over here (I'm not going to say NHL speed since early pre-season, there are few established NHL players playing and most aren't trying 100% yet). But getting a pre-season game on the smaller ice might be good for him.

When do leagues in Sweden start? I thought they started earlier than the NHL season, so prospects here usually missed the start of camp and some regular season games?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
When do leagues in Sweden start? I thought they started earlier than the NHL season, so prospects here usually missed the start of camp and some regular season games?
If he was to play for Farjestad (CHL team), their season starts in August. Only players who could attend NHL training camp are non-impact ones that don't matter to their SHL clubs. As a goalie Clara is very unlikely to be in that position.

Reactions: lwvs84

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
He was excellent last night and is a major reason why Brynäs' only got three more games to win in order to return to the SHL. Let's hope he can keep this together.
He's a solid candidate for Brynäs MVP, that's for sure. Sure, he's got a strong team ahead of him, but he is part of that strength and has won a lot of games for them. His numbers were good during the regular season too when they were playing more all-out offense.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
He’s going to fly under the radar, if he were drafted by Montreal or Toronto I think he would be getting some serious chatter. I’m not going to say he had a definitively better season than Fowler but between his size advantage and similarly impressive season the amount of discussion between the two should not be so different, yet it is. I think it’s him or Fowler who have had the best season for a goalie taken out the 2023 draft.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He’s going to fly under the radar, if he were drafted by Montreal or Toronto I think he would be getting some serious chatter. I’m not going to say he had a definitively better season than Fowler but between his size advantage and similarly impressive season the amount of discussion between the two should not be so different, yet it is. I think it’s him or Fowler who have had the best season for a goalie taken out the 2023 draft.
I still remember how everyone ignored Dostal and always seemed to rank prospects form other, larger franchises, above him :)

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad